Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Weird tendon clicking....little pain, Tried a search.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

joeforte

Apr 3, 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Weird tendon clicking....little pain, Tried a search.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First of all, I searched for about an hour to find an answer to this, but found nothing.

The other day I was climbing something I've been on many times, it was my first time on it that day, just kinda warming up. It was pretty cold out. I went to pull a gaston with my left hand, and I felt a slight click/ electrical shock like sensation in my wrist/arm. I tried the move several more times, and it kept doing it. Since this happened, I noticed that my right wrist does it as well, just much lighter. It happens even on big jugs, and has made me very cautious about pulling hard on anything. As the day goes on, it clicks less frequently. It is slightly painful, but more awkward than painful. The "click" makes we wanna let go, which can be kinda inconvenient when leading!

I started taping my wrists, and it has seemed to help a little bit. My buddy, who has been climbing for 10+ years tells me to tape it, and climb through it.

Am I about to blow a tendon, or are things just shifting around in there?

It kinda feels like maybe tendons are just getting plucked past each other.

Has anyone had this clicking? Can this be normal? I've been climbing like this for a week, (carefully I might add) and it hasn't gotten any worse.

joeforte

Apr 5, 2006, 4:42 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Re: Weird tendon clicking....little pain, Tried a search. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I noticed today that it only makes the clicking when I use an open handed grip. When I crimp, it does not do it. Can anyone relate?

styndall

Apr 5, 2006, 5:02 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pain is a message from your body. Listen. Actually, there are people who are good interpreters of messages from your body. They're called doctors. If you've got insurance, visit one.

That said, something in my right hand has clicked upon bending for the last eight years or so, from three years before I started climbing. It doesn't hurt, and it hasn't bothered me in daily life or when climbing.

When it first started, I went to a doctor who told me not to worry if it didn't hurt.

squierbypetzl

Apr 5, 2006, 5:24 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both my wrists click, not really sure why or when it started (think I was about 15 or 16), sometimes pretty loudly. I also have something moving around in there when I move my wrists in circles.... and I guess there have been a few instances where Iīve pinched a tendon or something, but nothing really major

I donīt have any problems with īem except when I used to do wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. In those cases the clicking would be kind of bothersome and Iīd feel I couldnīt keep my wrist straight when lifting the weights without something in there moving around too much for ease of mind.

aimeerose

Apr 5, 2006, 5:28 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you've got some instability in your wrists. Are you generally a flexible person? Sometimes people who are flexible have instability issues. If so, strengthening is important. Do some reverse wrist curls (palm down) and weighted pronation/supination exercises if they don't hurt. I've also had a similar issue and I find that it happens more if I'm not warmed up or if the weather's cold. So warm up, and if it keeps bugging you consider seeing a hand therapist (a physical therapist who specializes in hands).

joeforte

Apr 5, 2006, 5:28 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Pain is a message from your body. Listen. Actually, there are people who are good interpreters of messages from your body. They're called doctors. If you've got insurance, visit one.

Actually I do not have health insurance, I'm a recent college graduate. Thanks for the sarcasm.

Partner bear829

Apr 10, 2006, 2:50 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not a doctor, but I can tell you that more than likely, the sound and sensation that you are experiencing is just shifting. All of my joints do that. If you are an agressive climber and do a lot of climbing, you are just working all the tendons and cartilage in you joints out. If the sensation seems a little off from what it normally is, you should stop what you are doing and see a doctor. You will know what is a good sound/sensation and what is a bad one. If you wrist cramps after you relax from the climb, try working on your strenght and flexiblitly. Good luck.

styndall

Apr 10, 2006, 3:14 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Actually I do not have health insurance, I'm a recent college graduate. Thanks for the sarcasm.

Snarky wording aside, I was serious about the 'if you have insurance' bit. A lot of climbers don't; I haven't since 2004, and I know it sucks. I once either broke or sprained my hand and had to choose between a doctor's visit and February rent.

That said, if it hurts, back off until it doesn't. Exacerbating an injury by climbing through it is no way to go, especially if you can't afford a doctor.

joeforte

Apr 10, 2006, 2:25 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I've been taping it, and warming up slowly, allong with some glucosamine and plenty of water. I think maybe I just might not have noticed it before, and that cold day just made it stand out. Seems to be getting better, thanks for all the help everyone!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook