RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

cragb

Apr 10, 2006, 4:23 AM
Post #1 of 4 (912 views)
Shortcut

Forgive me...digital photo question....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can somebody explain to me the art of compressing digital images? I shoot with the hightest resolution on my camera and consequently file sizes will exceed 2MB. What's the easiest way to bring them down to RC.com photo format size without losing image quality? I've got Adobe PhotoDeluxe 4.0 and haven't been able to sucessfully compress a photo. Any tips on this subject would be great.. Thanks folks.
Craig

nrg_sr_climber

Apr 10, 2006, 4:49 AM
Post #2 of 4 (912 views)
Shortcut

Re: Forgive me...digital photo question.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use Adobe Photo shop CS2. I have used other versions of photo shop from photo shop 9 through CS2. If you can get your hands on photo shop that is prime in excellent photo compression for web use. If you have photo shop resize the image to 400x600 then use the handy save for web feature. Then you get a 7 MB file down to 150ish KB and it still look really good for web applications. Just make sure to save the saved for web version of the file as a different name so you have the original file for later use.

esibnitsud

Apr 10, 2006, 8:07 AM
Post #3 of 4 (912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best way is IRfanview. http://www.irfanview.com/

Use the batch resize feature to resize all your images at once, or one at any time! It can also do things like contrast, sharpness, and color and expouser. Its a really great program for your non photoshop needs.

deepplaymedia

Apr 12, 2006, 6:11 AM
Post #4 of 4 (912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh my goodness, 2MB!! :)

go into photoshop or similar- do whatever you want in terms of colour correction, retouching etc
then go IMAGE SIZE, set dpi to 72 (it will probably be at about 300ish, but monitors only display 72 of that!)
then resize the dimensions, say to something like 650 or 700 pixels on the longest side.
then stick a big F*(K-off copyright across the middle of the pic so that noone can see the photo well enough decide whether they want to steal it or not
then FLATTEN IMAGE, convert to profile Adobe RGB (1998) (if you werent working in this already) (someone will inevitably say 'no you should convert it sRGB- fine ill say, but explain why?)
then save as -> JPG -> quality 7-8 (should be enough for a site?)
size should then equal somewhere in the vicinty of 100kb depending on the photo

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook