RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner booger

May 19, 2006, 1:37 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Tick-list idea
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday I was adding/updating a couple of routes in the RDB to add them to my ticklist. I know you guys are busy right now but it struck me that a great feature would be a 'comments' or 'notes' feature. You could then, for example, note that you 'need beta' for a particular route or 'intend to climb on XX date and need a partner'.

Just a thought, since we're all about improving at the moment.

Cheers,
Taz

zeke_sf

May 19, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tick-list idea [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a bad idea, but then we'd all be spending an even longer time sifting through this website! Then again, people could contribute on their favorite routes to those who'd really appreciate it. It reminds me of the only really good feature of a local website to the bay area that is now basically dead. They allowed climbers to comment on climbs within the routes database itself. That way everybody could see the comments when they see the climb's description. It added more detail than the initial description, and was often better because people who really liked the climb could add their commentary. Also, updates to the climb like broken holds, spinning holds, etc. could be quickly and easily added. Of course, it also added a whole new forum for people to flame on each other and generally argue route ratings, etc.

zeke_sf

May 19, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oops, girldrifter, I guess I just reiterated what you said. I thought you meant just changes in the ticklist section to solicit information, etc., not the route database itself. Pardon me, I just woke up.

jakedatc

May 19, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or... they could spend their time getting the site transfered over so we can finally lay the poor servers that have been beaten to a bloody pulp the past few years to rest.

post up in the partners forum under the right area or PM someone that has done the route in question. quite simple really.

Partner booger

May 19, 2006, 3:37 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
or... they could spend their time getting the site transfered over so we can finally lay the poor servers that have been beaten to a bloody pulp the past few years to rest.

post up in the partners forum under the right area or PM someone that has done the route in question. quite simple really.

... thus the part where I say "I know you guys are busy right now "

I was just throwing the idea out there; maybe it's easier to make the changes during the cross-over if other people are interested. I'm no computer expert, not my decision... Quién sabe?

ddt

May 19, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yesterday I was adding/updating a couple of routes in the RDB to add them to my ticklist. I know you guys are busy right now but it struck me that a great feature would be a 'comments' or 'notes' feature. You could then, for example, note that you 'need beta' for a particular route or 'intend to climb on XX date and need a partner'.

On the new site, you'll have the ability to add notes to every route you add to your wish list (currently called tick list). :)

Daniel

Partner epoch

May 19, 2006, 4:29 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's anoooooooooooooooother idea...........

Why not add a feature where we can vote on a rating scale of the climbs. (Based on a 5 * system) Thus allowing the current climbers to "rate" the climb. Less of a user interaction, less to read... The more people climb it the better the average and stuff like that.

There are some (Quote-Unquote) "Classics" that I have climbed that aren't all that classic. Even for that particular area. Instead something that was put up after that climb, or prior to it could have been considered a ***** classic climb. Let the users decide how they would rate the climb.

Jay

ddt

May 19, 2006, 4:30 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... It reminds me of the only really good feature of a local website to the bay area that is now basically dead. They allowed climbers to comment on climbs within the routes database itself. That way everybody could see the comments when they see the climb's description. It added more detail than the initial description, and was often better because people who really liked the climb could add their commentary. Also, updates to the climb like broken holds, spinning holds, etc. could be quickly and easily added.

This too will be on the new site. Notes & comments from previous ascents will be displayed with the detail of each route.

Daniel

PS: Spinning hold??? Guess that's an indoor thing... :P

ddt

May 19, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Why not add a feature where we can vote on a rating scale of the climbs. (Based on a 5 * system) Thus allowing the current climbers to "rate" the climb. Less of a user interaction, less to read... The more people climb it the better the average and stuff like that.

There are some (Quote-Unquote) "Classics" that I have climbed that aren't all that classic. Even for that particular area. Instead something that was put up after that climb, or prior to it could have been considered a ***** classic climb. Let the users decide how they would rate the climb.

Jay

This too will be part of the new site. When you log an ascent, you'll be able to rate the route if you want to (i.e. it's optional). We're considering various categories, such as exposure, quality of rock, fun factor, safety, overall. Let me know what you think.

DDT

(edited for clarity)

Partner neuroshock

May 19, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Jay

This too will be part of the new site. When you log an ascent, you'll be able to rate the route if you want to (i.e. it's optional). We're considering various categories, such as exposure, quality of rock, fun factor, safety, overall. Let me know what you think.

DDT

(edited for clarity)
if the intent of this is to display a community "concensus grade," when implementing, whatever your algorithm is, don't forget to discard votes that are way off base. if it's entered as a 5.11d and people generally vote 11c-12a range, a 10a vote should be tossed out. most routes shouldn't be off by more than 2 letter grades (or 1 number grade if <5.10). Of course, there are always exceptions (wasn't/isn't Sweet Pain at Red Rocks one?).

if someone just wants to spray on their own ascent record/page that they had a really easy time on the route, let 'em puff themselves up. :roll: :wink:

zeke_sf

May 22, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
... It reminds me of the only really good feature of a local website to the bay area that is now basically dead. They allowed climbers to comment on climbs within the routes database itself. That way everybody could see the comments when they see the climb's description. It added more detail than the initial description, and was often better because people who really liked the climb could add their commentary. Also, updates to the climb like broken holds, spinning holds, etc. could be quickly and easily added.

This too will be on the new site. Notes & comments from previous ascents will be displayed with the detail of each route.

Daniel

PS: Spinning hold??? Guess that's an indoor thing... :P

:lol: Yeah, I saw my little typo. I meant to say spinning bolt, but by the time I noticed it I'd already written and posted my two extra bits. A spinning hold outdoors would be a very interesting thing...

That's really good to know about the upcoming improvements though. Soliciting all this information beforehand would be a major time investment if we contacted each person who'd climbed said route, figuring out when, etc. Thanks, Daniel, and to all those involved with updating this site. I'm a new member, but I have and still do appreciate the service in knowledge and community these sites provide. Maybe I should partner up when I get some more coin in my pocket.

Zach

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook