RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

victor999

Jul 31, 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #1 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

NRG - Bubba City - 2nd pullout restriction
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We wanted to climb at Sandstonia (aka Tattoo Wall) in Bubba City this last Saturday (7/29/06) but after parking and walking a few hundred feet, we began to notice all of the shiny, yellow "NO TRESPASSING" signs stapled to every other tree. We paused, then called Waterstone sports in Fayetteville, "Ya, some cars have been getting towed there" was the response. We ended up going to the first pull-out and enjoyed the day at Beer Wall instead.

Does anyone have any information about this (new?) restriction? Is anyone working on a solution? Access would still seem possible by walking the cliffline trails, but I would imagine that parking will become an issue, especially during holiday weekends, and especially since the overflow section of the 1st pull-out also appears to be off limits.

Victor

microbarn

Aug 2, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #2 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Re: NRG - Bubba City - 2nd pullout restriction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any update?

lena_chita

Aug 2, 2006, 3:36 PM
Post #3 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, we were there the same weekend. Climbed at Tattoo wall. We did see the no tresspassing signs on the trees, but until you posted this I didn't connect the signs to the climbing restriction b/c there was no sign on the trail itself -- it looked like the woods were off limits on either side of the trail, and not the trail itself, and it was only a relatively short section of the trail that had these signs. There were no "keep off"/"no tresspassing" signs at the pullout or anywhere near the climbing area.

There was another group of 3 climbers there at the same time, and what looked like a large guided group of beginner climbers that showed up in the afternoon.

I would think that the guides wouldn't take a group there if the site was off-limit... But now that I think of it, the area was nearly deserted compared to how it was around Memorial day weekend. At the time we attributed it to the fact that it was threatening to rain and drizzled a bit on and off -- and were all too happy to climb without crowds -- but now I wonder...

No one towed our cars, that's for sure!

But I would like to hear from someone who knows for sure! I would hate to come back and find the car towed... and create access problems for others by tresspassing.

gosharks

Aug 2, 2006, 4:51 PM
Post #4 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There was another group of 3 climbers there at the same time, and what looked like a large guided group of beginner climbers that showed up in the afternoon.

If this was saturday the 29th, some of my climbing buddies (a decent sized group, 5+) were out there for the first time... If that was them they definetly were not a guided trip. This group only had one leader (leading climbs, not the group) by the name of Peter.

victor999

Aug 2, 2006, 5:03 PM
Post #5 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't notice the signs until my wife pointed them out. THEN... we noticed they were posted everywhere. :shock: The signs make a border, probably a property line border, that covers the entire 2nd pullout area, the road between the 1st and 2nd pullout, and the overflow area of the 1st pullout. You can even see the yellow signs on the right side as you walk down the 'pipeline' trail of the first pullout-- but they are not on the left side- thus it must be a border.

As we did not follow the entire trail from the 2nd pullout (only 1/2 way), I do not know if the Tattoo area is off limits or not (I sure hope not!). But it is obvious from the signs that if you park there (2nd pullout), you stand a chance of being towed.

There was news awhile back about a housing development project along the rim of the gorge.... I'm just wondering if there's any connection. I'd rather not speculate, but I sure am curious as to why these signs have appeared.

victor

lena_chita

Aug 2, 2006, 6:01 PM
Post #6 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gosharks-- maybe they were your friends then. There were definitely more than 5 people but I don't recall how many exactly. They were climbing the 2 5.6s that are near the beginning of the Tattoo wall -- "Bobby D's Bunny" and something else? I didn't speak to them, but there was one guy who was leading the climbs who looked like he could lead stuff much harder than what he was on, and the rest of the people toproped and didn't look like they were good climbers... that's why I said it looked like a guided group... No offence. They showed up around 1 or 1:30 pm, and we left around 4 or so... There were also 2 guys and a girl, Chech/Polish that showed up the same time as we did-- around 9 in the morning and left shortly before we did.

Victor-- I probably didn't pay attention to the signs until one person in our group pointed them out-- they did look like they were along the property line or something, on both sides along the trail. But the signs stopped before the trail started going downhill and there were no more of them anywhere near the climbing area.

It would suck if the area is off-limits, I really wanted to go back and redpoint some routes there.

dontmaytagme

Aug 2, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #7 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any ideas why this is? What happened?

victor999

Aug 3, 2006, 1:04 PM
Post #8 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i spoke with erin at hard rock climbing in fayetteville (she was very courteous, btw) and she hadn't heard about the signs. she is going to check around with some of the guides.

i also left a message with the nps. if i hear anything, i'll be sure to post.

any NRG junkies out there know what's going on??? :?:

lena_chita

Aug 3, 2006, 1:59 PM
Post #9 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

let us know if you find out more.

I asked around last night, and it seems that some people in our gym called about it, too, and they were told that the only cars that were towed from the second pullout were the cars that were parked ON THE ROAD. Duh! According to them the area is open for climbing... Second-hand info at it's worst, I suppose... Take it for what it's worth. BUt unless I hear something more definitive, I'm going to go back there again soon :)

dbrayack

Aug 3, 2006, 2:34 PM
Post #10 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Us locals try to avoid Bubba during the summer (really hot and manky!!). Personally, I have no idea, but I'll drive by tonight and take a look. They may just not want you in the woods there.

-Danno

microbarn

Aug 3, 2006, 2:42 PM
Post #11 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are local to the New? I thought you were at WVU. That was why you were working on the Cooper's guide, or am I confusing you with someone else?

In any case, thanks for checking that out.

Partner j_ung

Aug 3, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #12 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's no problem with Sandstonia access. Those signs likely went up for hunting season, to keep people out of the woods. And the only cars that have been towed were parked on the road. Park in the dirt lot, not parallel on the street, and stick to the trail until you get to the rocks, which are on NPS land.

And bring lots of water, 'cause damn, it's hot. :twisted:

dbrayack

Aug 3, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #13 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey J_ung :twisted: , that's where we should go SAT: BUBBA!

Partner j_ung

Aug 3, 2006, 3:51 PM
Post #14 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll bring my pitchfork and goat mask! :lol:

victor999

Aug 3, 2006, 6:22 PM
Post #15 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i spoke with Sherri Glendenon at the NPS-NRG today and she said that a few rangers have heard about people getting towed. she said the private property is owned by "Alabama" and "Class VI" (a rafting company).

I hope what j_ung says is true-- that the only people towed are the ones parking too close to the road.

but you know, those signs *are* pretty ominous. someone spent a lot of time tacking those suckers up.

victor

Partner j_ung

Aug 3, 2006, 6:34 PM
Post #16 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I spoke with the Fayette County cops who were doing the towing. They're the ones who told me that cars in the lot were AOK. :)

acarp

Aug 3, 2006, 7:10 PM
Post #17 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of us were up there most of the afternoon/evening on Sunday. We parked in the dirt lot that has the green gas piping and didn't seem to have a problem at all. We also noticed the signs. A buddy I went with was up there previously and didn't recall seeing them until this past Sunday.

dbrayack

Aug 3, 2006, 7:17 PM
Post #18 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just curious, how is the trail into the Tattoo Wall. You think it could use some trail work or is it all good?

Partner j_ung

Aug 3, 2006, 8:32 PM
Post #19 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sucks. It could definitely use some work.

clausti

Aug 3, 2006, 8:42 PM
Post #20 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Hey J_ung :twisted: , that's where we should go SAT: BUBBA!
I'll bring my pitchfork and goat mask! Laughing

you guys are on crack.

lena_chita

Aug 3, 2006, 8:46 PM
Post #21 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung, thank you for clarification!

You NRG locals can afford to be choosy about climbing areas :) --lucky you!

I guess I don't have high expectations for trails and such. It seems O.K. to me. My 7yo son and 3yo daughter had no problem whatsoever walking down that trail a day after rain-- or going up for that matter. Yeah, I did hold her hand in steep/slippery spots... but really, if a toddler can walk that trail without complaint, it is not so bad.

victor999

Aug 4, 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #22 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

we could buy a bunch of slip-n-slides and connect them for the descent...

btw, i called Class VI rafting company to get their 'official' word (not sure if that was a good idea or not... :roll: ) but the lady i spoke to had no idea what i was talking about. *sigh*

we'll probably head back down there (tattoo) next weekend. if we're feeling snakey maybe we'll park within 10' of the road.... 8^)

victor

mccallew

Aug 24, 2006, 9:00 PM
Post #23 of 23 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

We spent hours over several weekends "cutting" that trail to Sandstonia. You should have seen it when it was poison Ivy choked and before we moved hundreds of pounds of rocks trying to level sections and create some steps. Admittedly it does need some work still (I haven't been down since last Fall), but "It sucks" is pretty harsh.

RE parking j_ung is correct. It is still cool to park there just make sure that you are clear of the road. Look for updates at http://www.bubbacity.com.

Also, check out the newly updated guidebook, also at the above link, for additional never-before published route beta.

Eric M.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook