Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

jaricaurte

Sep 16, 2002, 2:16 AM
Post #1 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

European climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How many European climbers do you know?

boesgaard

Sep 20, 2002, 12:02 PM
Post #2 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

European climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know nothing but European climbers....ohh wait, I'm from Europe myself....makes sense then :-)

pattray

Sep 20, 2002, 12:13 PM
Post #3 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know a bunch

whipper

Sep 20, 2002, 1:16 PM
Post #4 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Euros suck(actually I know a ton but their footwork is so good it pisses me of)

iris

Sep 24, 2002, 11:51 AM
Post #5 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The question should be : How many Non-European climbers do you know? The answer would be 1 until now ...

bsperes

Sep 24, 2002, 1:41 PM
Post #6 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know mostly non-Euro climbers. All great guys except the Frenchies...they are good but lose the f*&%ing attitude.

caniodelchorro

Jun 8, 2005, 3:12 PM
Post #7 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

caniodelchorro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im from europa.....Spain
There is a lot of european climbers, but they are more time climbing that writing in internet....
And not all the europeos know english....
You Know!!!
Hasta pronto colegas.

stonefoxgirl

Jun 8, 2005, 4:14 PM
Post #8 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

poser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

None, unless you count the nerd from my gym that has BEEN to Europe and considers himself European.....

Partner yannbuse

Jun 8, 2005, 4:38 PM
Post #9 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

yes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know plenty of European climbers, myself included. Im french, we don't have the 'attitude' - well at least no more than any other nation.

sbaclimber

Jun 8, 2005, 9:44 PM
Post #10 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Re: yes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Im french, we don't have the 'attitude' - well at least no more than any other nation.

Dude, that's like me saying that Americans aren't fat abnoxious a**holes and/or rednecks :wink: :D

socialclimber

Jun 9, 2005, 7:57 AM
Post #11 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Re: yes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Im french, we don't have the 'attitude' - well at least no more than any other nation.

Dude, that's like me saying that Americans aren't fat abnoxious a**holes and/or rednecks :wink: :D

Pssst! Gabe, you are American, remember? :roll:

jcshaggy

Jun 9, 2005, 8:06 AM
Post #12 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've met some Germans, Dutch and French climbers-all were really chilled out and very focused on climbing. Also, they were very helpful with climbing tips.

andrewbanandrew

Jun 9, 2005, 8:22 AM
Post #13 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

fd [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know a Dane--that's about it.

Partner booger

Jun 9, 2005, 9:07 AM
Post #14 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Re: fd [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Er.. . I know plenty (besides my partner, who is a stinky Italian!)... living in Europe helps, of course. :D

You all should come over and meet a few of us. Actually, all the French climbers I have met have been really nice. If you want to see bad attitudes and rude crag manners you have to look to the German climbers... sorry to my German friends (Heiko, I love you, but you're not typical!), it's been my experience so far...

Partner tisar

Jun 9, 2005, 9:41 AM
Post #15 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Euros suck(actually I know a ton but their footwork is so good it pisses me of)

So you definetly missed me by now...

Let's answer the question other way 'round: At least two US climbers know me...

In reply to:
If you want to see bad attitudes and rude crag manners you have to look to the German climbers... sorry to my German friends (Heiko, I love you, but you're not typical!), it's been my experience so far...

... and I hope their impression was a different one. :roll:

- Daniel

Partner booger

Jun 9, 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #16 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Re: European climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Daniel,

Sorry if I offended- Honestly! ... Like I said, it's only been my experience so far. I've had routes double-clipped by Germans, and a few routes where they've jumped in front when I was putting on my shoes, obviously about to climb. Really frustrating :!: Most of the French and Italian climbers I've met have fist asked me what I'm climbing, then been polite if it was the route they wanted to do as well.

In Europe in general, I find that people are less friendly on the trails (approach)... in the US- at least out west- everybody says "hello" or acknowledges each other in some way. What do you think? But here people are more friendly at the crag- sharing wine, conversation, beta and cigarettes... ahem... unless they're just trying to kill us with kindness... :wink:

overlord

Jun 9, 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #17 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a lot :roll:

Partner tisar

Jun 9, 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #18 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Daniel,

Sorry if I offended- Honestly! ... Like I said, it's only been my experience so far. I've had routes double-clipped by Germans, and a few routes where they've jumped in front when I was putting on my shoes, obviously about to climb. Really frustrating :!: Most of the French and Italian climbers I've met have fist asked me what I'm climbing, then been polite if it was the route they wanted to do as well.

In Europe in general, I find that people are less friendly on the trails (approach)... in the US- at least out west- everybody says "hello" or acknowledges each other in some way. What do you think? But here people are more friendly at the crag- sharing wine, conversation, beta and cigarettes... ahem... unless they're just trying to kill us with kindness... :wink:

Not offended! I never felt like taking responsibility for all my fellow countrymen. Too many idiots as everywhere.

All in all my impression might be a little different. People I found at the crags normally were helpful and willing to share everything. Exceptions given but if you are nice there's a good vibe to find.

There are certain things about Germans (or Europeans) I might explain, but not excuse. Has to do with the surroundings.
Europe is much more populated than the US, so first people are used to meet a lot of people everywhere. Makes it somewhat annoying to greet every person you meet, at least in the cities. Now if you're used to pass by without a word that may also affect your behaviour at the crags.

In addition there is a difference in the mentality. Europeans (especially Germans) are somewhat reserved at first glance. It's hard to get to know us - just because friendship also means to be very open to the opposite very fast. So if you've proven to be worth the effort, then we might be deeper friends then you ever had before.

Next and saddest point is that there are very few deserted places even in the mountains. LNT is almost impossible as crowd always leaves traces. So we're quite used to have somebody to clean up afterwards which leads to an unacceptable loose behaviour in nature. Sorry, there's no excuse for that.

And be sure I do my best not to act like the 'typical' German :wink:

- Daniel

ejlim

Jun 9, 2005, 11:12 AM
Post #19 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to say I agree with the comment about the more populated thing...out West in the States, people are definitely friendly - they'll greet everyone on the trail, at the crag, camping, etc. Out East, its a different story, at least in my experience. Obviously there are friendly (and unfriendly) climbers and people everywhere, but overall it was a bit less welcoming in the East. And coincidentally the East tends to be more crowded. It still has great climbing of course, but its more concentrated in specific areas.

As far as European climbers - I know a few since I've moved out here now (at least temporarily). So far they've all been pretty friendly. I met almost all of these European climbers through an American...does that taint my experience? ;) Guess it depends on who that American is.... ;)

I guess I've seen people at the crag that may or may not have greeted me, but my self consciousness about the language barrier may have prevented me from noticing...I have noticed that the people I've seen are way more comfortable climbing REALLY close together (neighboring routes that are really really close) but I think that's a reflection of the crags that I've been to...

Partner booger

Jun 9, 2005, 11:12 AM
Post #20 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I never felt like taking responsibility for all my fellow countrymen. Too many idiots as everywhere.

Particularly well said, Daniel!

In reply to:
And be sure I do my best not to act like the 'typical' German

... and rest assured, I do my best not to act like a 'typical' American :!: :roll:

sbaclimber

Jun 9, 2005, 11:14 AM
Post #21 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Daniel,

Not offended! I never felt like taking responsibility for all my fellow countrymen. Too many idiots as everywhere.

All in all my impression might be a little different. People I found at the crags normally were helpful and willing to share everything. Exceptions given but if you are nice there's a good vibe to find.

There are certain things about Germans (or Europeans) I might explain, but not excuse. Has to do with the surroundings.
Europe is much more populated than the US, so first people are used to meet a lot of people everywhere. Makes it somewhat annoying to greet every person you meet, at least in the cities. Now if you're used to pass by without a word that may also affect your behaviour at the crags.

In addition there is a difference in the mentality. Europeans (especially Germans) are somewhat reserved at first glance. It's hard to get to know us - just because friendship also means to be very open to the opposite very fast. So if you've proven to be worth the effort, then we might be deeper friends then you ever had before.

Next and saddest point is that there are very few deserted places even in the mountains. LNT is almost impossible as crowd always leaves traces. So we're quite used to have somebody to clean up afterwards which leads to an unacceptable loose behaviour in nature. Sorry, there's no excuse for that.

And be sure I do my best not to act like the 'typical' German :wink:

- Daniel

After living 3 years in Hannover, from my experience the 'typical' German isn't all that bad (quite 'normal' if I may). A bit aloof and reserved, maybe, but bad attitudes and crag manners, not from my experience. Granted I come from the north-east of America, where people are a bit 'reserved' and 'aloof' too, so maybe I am used to it....

PS, I did notice a bit of rivalry between the Germans and the Dutch (the strange people in campervans wearing helmets on sport routes...). Maybe the occasional Belgian gets grouped in with the Dutch (although, girldrifter, you seem to be an Ami too...) :wink: :shock: :)

overlord

Jun 9, 2005, 11:24 AM
Post #22 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

most climbers here are fiendly and open ppl. comes from having mountains at your backyard and being taught proper mountaneering (should be outdoor) manners from the first time you set foot on the trail.

but you do get some exeptions. like usual.

Partner booger

Jun 9, 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #23 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have noticed that the people I've seen are way more comfortable climbing REALLY close together (neighboring routes that are really really close) but I think that's a reflection of the crags that I've been to...

Holy shit is that true!! Especially in Belgium (as you noticed :wink: ). But I'm not sure it's just here... even on Voi d'Elaine in Presles (nice, long multi-pitch) I had a French couple sharing my belay stations. Then again, I've seen lines of people waiting to climb the Seal in the Flatirons. :shock:

Anyway, I'm not complaining ... a group of European guys offering me wine and cigarettes (God, I love Italy!) is preferable any day to some Colorado vegan farting in my face... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Partner heiko

Jun 9, 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #24 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About reserved and unfriendly climbers... I've met them everywhere I went, that's Switzerland, the south of Germany (where I'm from), Austria, and the Arco area (North of Italy, where I live now).

IMHO the difference is in the fact that some people have travelled, while others haven't. I've found groups of locals that have never really left their places to be especially closed and unfriendly, jealous of "their" rocks etc.

Others, who come from or have lived in other countries, or have just been 'round the world, usually are happy to share, help, and drink together ;-)
(As a matter of fact, I mainly climb with foreigners here...)

socialclimber

Jun 9, 2005, 11:57 AM
Post #25 of 145 (16333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed and bouldered with a bunch of different nationalaties, to date, Americans, Australians, Canadians, Italians, Germans, Austrians, Poms, French Swiss and German Swiss and last weekend, a Dane. The difference is, They came to my country. I figure the process of traveling all the way around the world to New Zealand must filter out the arse holes because there wouldn't be one of them who I wouldn't climb with again.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook