Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Ladies' Room Visibility
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: Ladies' Room Visibility
I do not mind the Ladies' Room being visible to any visitor to rc.com. 16 / 29%
I would be more comfortable if the Ladies' Room were only visible to members. 28 / 50%
I have no preference. 12 / 21%
56 total votes

htotsu

Jan 17, 2007, 5:05 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2933 views)
Shortcut

Ladies' Room Visibility
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ladies, please vote - whatever the result, it will help with perspective.

wonderwoman

Jan 17, 2007, 5:16 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [htotsu] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I voted that I don't mind it being visible to non-users. I never post anything super personal online anyway. Also, people have to become users before they can post a reply here.

lisamariewillbe

Jan 17, 2007, 5:18 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [htotsu] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Think it would be silly to seperate it so much. Alot of men have great advice and experiences with things that concern us. And as far as guests looking well thats not a big deal really. Its the internet people should assume that everyone is reading it and if they cant they will find a way if they want to read it bad enough

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 17, 2007, 7:56 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lisamariewillbe] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lisamariewillbe -

To clarify, there's been no suggestion of keeping men out. Most of the women would agree that there is valuable help coming from some of the guys on the issues that get posted. Just as some guys think they "will never unbderstand women," there are times when we also need to be reminded how things are viewed through a guy's perspective.

I voted for the visible to registered users only. Surely that's no surprise to anyone who's been following the other current thread in this forum....and my reasons for this viewpoint have been expressed - in way too may words - over there.

lisamariewillbe

Jan 17, 2007, 8:22 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just read that and I dont see the need to change it. There will be cyber stalkers no matter what they do. Its not like the mods have us submit proof we are climbers before entering this site.

As a matter a fact I personally came on here without being a rockclimber. I am a skydiver also, and its through campground and the talks and reading and responding to the posts that gave me a new hobby in life. I now climb but neither sangiro or ddt asked for proof as this is a public forum.

I also have noticed that when there is a problem with other users that it takes very little to get the mods to invstigate and handle the problem. If someone messages another person in the effort to spam or abuse then tell a moderator or ignore the person. This is a public forum and that is part of its appeal. Esp for people like me who became part of this sport because of the forums versus becoming part of this forum after finding the sport.

Theres a easy way to not get unwanted attention on the forums, that is to not post private or personal information. And if someone is a ass ignore them, they can only hurt, insult, degrade or mock you if you take it as that, rather take it as them not having much of a life and trying to solicite and annoy you.

This site is much better then others I have seen as far as how the moderators handle things. They are protective over the members and expect them to be treated respectfully by other members. Good luck in what you seek, I personally wouldnt want it changed but I am not in your position. It takes alot to cause me stress or anger, I have recieved a few unwanted messages and I just delete them and future ones with the same name and it goes away in time.

donbcivil

Jan 18, 2007, 2:16 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the women would agree that there is valuable help coming from some of the guys on the issues that get posted.

Back at ya. Most of you are more accomplished climbers than me and I look forward to asking for HELP!

Don

iamthewallress

Jan 18, 2007, 6:12 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donbcivil] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just remember that if you have to log in to look at it, the whole world gets to look at the fact that you are logged in, and specifically that you are looking at the ladies room. Hassle aside, I'm no longer automatically logged in b/c of this new "feature."

klippa_klattra

Jan 18, 2007, 7:45 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lisamariewillbe] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Awesome lisamariewillbe,
thanks for sharing that.
I agree, The Mods do a good job at what they do, and it is nice to know that people like you feel comfortable enough hear to stick around and join the community (and the sport for that matter) (I skydived once... for my 21st bday, it was amazing, but expensive - someday when I have more $ I'll do it again).

Anyways.....
Personally, I think it is good that the Ladies room is easily accessible, because it makes it easy for even new users to find or women who are just checking out the site to see if they want to come back.

I say, way to go Mods, and thanks for caring about us.
and Ladies, in general, dont post what you dont want read, cause like others have said, it is the internet, and people will read it, weather the forum is in a different location or not.

And if you do get harassed, gosh darnit, report the bugger before he or she can do it again to someone else!

thanks for taking the time to read this, hope its not to long
~kk

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 18, 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
Just remember that if you have to log in to look at it, the whole world gets to look at the fact that you are logged in, and specifically that you are looking at the ladies room. Hassle aside, I'm no longer automatically logged in b/c of this new "feature."

I thought I saw somewhere on "edit your profile" an option the take yourself of that page that shows who is on the site and what they are doing. I think I pressed it....

If anyone is reading this post in the next few minutes - QUICK - go look and see if my username appears! I'll have rc.com open til 8am.

I just wanted to test it(because if I look on that page, my username IS there, but I just assumed that's cause it's my own computer I'm looking from....

Also - that is a strage function, that "who's up to what" feature. I know some a few sites do that...but it has always seemed a little wierd to me.

Also - I will add that, when I first told the guy who that I didn't want to interact with him(as I mentioned earlier; the person still feels the need to post ugly comments about my posts even though it's been over a year that I said "GET LOST," and I don't mean in a "let's be friends way.), he would send me PM's within minutes of my logging onto the site, saying things like "I C U" - ICK!!!!! That is why I have chosen the "no visiblity online" button(or at least am pretty sure I did....)

htotsu

Jan 18, 2007, 1:00 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
iamthewallress wrote:

Also - I will add that, when I first told the guy who that I didn't want to interact with him(as I mentioned earlier; the person still feels the need to post ugly comments about my posts even though it's been over a year that I said "GET LOST," and I don't mean in a "let's be friends way.), he would send me PM's within minutes of my logging onto the site, saying things like "I C U" - ICK!!!!! That is why I have chosen the "no visiblity online" button(or at least am pretty sure I did....)
UGH. Did you tell the mods/owners about this? This alone is reason to can that bizarre feature. I think it's a shame that because of it people have only two options: a display of exactly where you are, or no online status at all. WTF - I can't conceive of why there's no "I'm generally online" middle ground option. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Anyway, chalk up one more here - I, too, chose the no visibility option as soon as it was noted that this feature existed on the new site. Wow - I had no idea it might not be working.

granite_grrl

Jan 18, 2007, 1:25 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2644 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I voted to keep it hidden to members, as a way to keep the trash out. If you're thinking of joining RC.com, you wander into the forms and you first see community. "Wow", you think, "I don't need to know anything about climbing, I can just hang out in campground and talk about boobies and spy on the ladies in the ladies room!"

If the whole community section of this form was hidden then you wouldn't get people joining just for that, they'd be joining because they want to know more/talk more about climbing.

uasunflower

Jan 18, 2007, 1:38 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh my, somehow this feels like a non-issue to me - sorry thomas (a MAN raising the issue!!!! let's just ban him!), - but people, open your eyes, u're on the internet. So if you get an ungly comment from time to time that irks your sensibility - close your eyes or never log on again. IMHO mods have been effective dealing with the harassing members in general - if you don't signal the problem, that's another story.

Overall - lady's room is fun for users or guests, what's your problem? I'm for democracy and free trade - let people see the forum and post in it if they have anything valuable to say. If they have a vagina, a penis, horns or a tail - i really really don't care as long as i learn smth or they make me smile by their comment. If not i learnt to read diagonally when in pre-school i believe, so might you.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 18, 2007, 5:00 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uasunflower] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if it's a general consensus (which, it isn't)that there's no need to assist in moderating what goes into the LR forum, then perhaps the forum should be dismantled; perhaps it's purpose is now a moot point.....

wonderwoman

Jan 18, 2007, 5:53 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2596 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Well, if it's a general consensus (which, it isn't)that there's no need to assist in moderating what goes into the LR forum, then perhaps the forum should be dismantled; perhaps it's purpose is now a moot point.....

Having just read through and contributed to the *Sticky* post, I now know what you're referring to. I believe this issue can be resolved through taking the Ladies Room out of Community, and moving this room lower on the page. Why would this forum be clumped with the garbage? It deserves better than that!

comet

Jan 18, 2007, 9:01 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

If the whole community section of this form was hidden then you wouldn't get people joining just for that, they'd be joining because they want to know more/talk more about climbing.

This is exactly how I feel. Make all of the community forums members-only, and I think it will greatly reduce this issue.

maww

Jan 18, 2007, 9:15 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [comet] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

comet wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

This is exactly how I feel. Make all of the community forums members-only, and I think it will greatly reduce this issue.

I think you are correct. This gets my vote.

stymingersfink

Jan 19, 2007, 5:15 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maww] Ladies' Room Visibility [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maww wrote:
comet wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

I think you are correct. This gets my vote.
yes indeed... if one is not a member, then one is not a member of the community, are they? In order to be a part of a community one must participate, minimally by logging on, better if they have something interesting to contribute.

OTOH, by viewing the community forums does one become motivated to join, or merely sit back and watch the various trainwrecks?

I did like the previous settings, whereby users not logged in could not view certain forums, but it might seem the ladies forum has seen a larger influx of men lurkers/posters of late due to its more prominent link near the top of the page. I could be wrong on this... ladies?

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook