RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

sway-reincarnate

Mar 18, 2007, 2:50 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2146 views)
Shortcut

My new woody
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just had to share this... Recently I was given a gift of moolah from my mom for my anniversary and she said 'go buy gear or something outdoorsy that makes you happy'. So of course, I put that money into my 'woody bank' and something happened. I must of had a climbing bug up my ass or what have you but I sat down scribbled out a few ideas and headed off to the hardware store. Now mind you I live in the dirty south right now ( Augusta Georgia) and although I am not a 'yankee transplant' I am from the north. (Washington state) I walk in with my plans and head to the lumber and construction section with a few questions. Mainly I want to know what the safest way to bolt into or around a Georgia pine would be, and would I risk killing the tree, also I want to make it adjustable and easy to disassemble? We just happen to have a set of three trees in the back yard that are perfect for a micro cave. Anyways after going around in a verbal circle for an hour explaining to each new guy that 'I am building a climbing wall' and what it's for and why I would do that and yes I am building it, and yes even though a girl i do know the difference between my table saw and a drill bit, etc... etc... I finally came up with a rough plan of what I would need etc. So I go and pick up the wood, which of course none of the 'macho men' happened to be there to help me move these freaking 4ftx8ft 3/4" panels of plywood. (more ungainly then heavy) I pull around and load all of this up into my minivan... yes.. .my minivan and no i dont have kids. I get home, invite a friend and enlist my husband to hold stuff while I cut/drill/mark etc... They understood the importance of me doing the work and not being a little girly girl. So thankfully they didn't push me aside or what have you, instead they asked me what needed to be done next.

So now... I am proud to say I built the woody in the backyard. Of course I just printed out some pictures and I am taking them to the guys at the Hardware store. They still didn't believe me when I said I owned all of my own power tools. ARGH@@@!!#$@% men...

If you are interested here is a picture of the first part of our bouldering cave... http://bp2.blogger.com/...s1600-h/DSC00821.JPG

and the full website http://paroexpress.blogspot.com/

ok i guess this really doesn't have much to do with anything, i just felt so justified after completing it.. especially with the way those boys were acting at the hardware store....

Any other girls out there build their own? Or have to deal with the same machismo from others?

gblauer

Mar 19, 2007, 2:04 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sway-reincarnate] My new woody [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

congrats on buidling your own woody. With skills like that...who needs a man?

Partner macherry

Mar 19, 2007, 3:39 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] My new woody [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

of course it has something to do with the ladies room!! Congrats on your mad buildiing skillz!!! Seriously, good for you.

jumpingrock

Mar 19, 2007, 5:06 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] My new woody [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The rocks! Is it adjustable? Seems like you can make whatever angle you want for the top section. Wicked training tool.

ladybug1542

Mar 19, 2007, 6:18 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sway-reincarnate] My new woody [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sway-reincarnate wrote:
Any other girls out there build their own? Or have to deal with the same machismo from others?

Nice job! it looks great. Having an adjustable wall at home is super sweet. I haven't built my own yet, but I do have to deal with the machismo all the time at work from customers. They think that because I'm a cute girl that I know nothing about gear. I get (while I'm clearly wearing a green rei vest) "do you work here? I don't know if you can answer my question but..." or I just get denied only to see them asking one of the guys about a product I just offered help with not seconds before. MadIt can be very frustrating but I love it when they think I don't know about something and then I end up teaching them something. It's great when you break somebody's stereotype. Cool

Keep up the good work!

granite_grrl

Mar 19, 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2057 views)
Shortcut

Re: My new woody [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I'll admit I let my husband the carpenter build our wall (he does have a lot more practice than I do). Good on youse for building the wall. I know I could do it if I had to, but his job is to build and fix stuff, and mine is to bring home the bacon and debug the computer when we need to.

clee03m

Mar 19, 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] My new woody [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dream of owning a garage or a basement gym some day. Considering my husband's lack of enthuism for climbing, I will be building the whole thing. Good for you, for building. Granite grrl, if my husband was a carpenter, I would make him build me a wall even if he wasn't into climbing. But alas, my husband is neither a carpenter or nor really into climbing....*sigh*

snoangel

Mar 20, 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] My new woody [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good for you, girl. I really like how it's adjustable. Smile

sway-reincarnate

Mar 22, 2007, 2:51 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoangel] My new woody [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks ladies... I thought I would just add a bonus point for us lady types. There just isn't enough of us in the places/positions that are of great importance or high salary... eh... but that's me going off again. Anyways, I am just here to say I hope that all of you get a chance to build one to. LOVE ALL OF YOU!!!!Smile

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook