Premier Sponsor:

trebork2
Deleted

Jul 25, 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1466 views)
Shortcut

Daydream
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know about the rest of you but... I'm in Atlanta, GA. It's July and hotter than hell. All I can think about is getting back to Alaska. Strapping on the skis... skiing to a climb... climbing all day... then heading to Chair 5 for some cold ones and a pizza!

moose_droppings

Jul 25, 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trebork2] Daydream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trebork2 wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you but... I'm in Atlanta, GA. It's July and hotter than hell. All I can think about is getting back to Alaska. Strapping on the skis... skiing to a climb... climbing all day... then heading to Chair 5 for some cold ones and a pizza!

I'm in western South Dakota and its been hotter than hades here the whole month of July. It been over a 100 90% of the days this July with hardly any rain and I'm tired of fighting fires almost everyday. Its scary to think what the hot dry days of August will bring. I can't wait for fall and the cooler temps to prevail along with the kids going back to school and most of the tourist leaving. Fall in the Black Hills is as good as it gets with the moderate temps, solitude, and colors. Don't get me wrong, I like the winter and spring here just as much as the fall, but the wait for the summer to pass magnifies my itch for fall to come.

skinner

Jul 26, 2007, 6:34 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Makes me feel even more fortunate to be living in Canada.. and 40 minutes from the mountains!

Little jealous about the Alaska thing though.

wanderlustmd

Jul 26, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] Daydream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stuck in DC. For another year.

Wishing I was back in NH....or out west.....

Frown

builttospill

Jul 27, 2007, 5:24 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for what it's worth, even some of us in the west are jonesing for either winter to come, or for more time in the mountains. I haven't been out at all this summer. Looking forward to an early September trip to the Winds.

trebork2
Deleted

Jul 30, 2007, 3:14 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builttospill] Daydream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear ya brother. I just got out on real rock for the first time since last October this weekend in Jamestown, Alabama. The 120% humidity and 90 degree weather had me wishing for winter even more.

flint

Jul 30, 2007, 3:42 AM
Post #7 of 14 (1275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I am stuck in Shanghai, China. It is over 100 evey single day here. Of the two climbing gyms in the city, one is closed till october, and the other has ropes that have never been replaced. The nearest out door climbing, sport (which I personally love trad) is over 24 hours away by train and I am not returning to the states until January.

Can't wait to spend spring in the RED.

rangerrob

Jul 31, 2007, 2:04 AM
Post #8 of 14 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Daydream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Summer suuuuuucks! It is totally the off season for me. It's when I do house projects, work my balls off, and spend as much time with the wife as I can. Come October it is game on....all the way through Mid May. October and November in the Gunks can't be beat, that blends right into ice in NH and Adirondacks by mid december...Catskills Ice in January and February, and beautiful springtiem climbing inthe Trapps. June sees the last of the hard climbing. 2 more months to go..then it is send weather!

petsfed

Jul 31, 2007, 2:07 AM
Post #9 of 14 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its been pretty pleasant lately. But soon enough, classes will start again, 2 weeks later it'll start snowing and I'll be pulling plastic until April. Just like every year. Summer, for me, is the only consistently climbable season.

trebork2
Deleted

Aug 1, 2007, 5:28 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Daydream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Instead of pulling plastic why don't you pull down on some ice!!! Plenty of ice in Wyoming.

blakegt

Aug 1, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Silly alaskan's with your snow and ice.....Atlanta has had a very mild summer. I've really been enjoying being able to climb outside so much in the summer. I don't think it's gotten over 100 hardly at all this year. I can remember several years where the highs were over 100 almost every day in the summer.

stymingersfink

Aug 2, 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trebork2 wrote:
Instead of pulling plastic why don't you pull down on some ice!!! Plenty of ice in Wyoming.
Probably too busy going to classes and doing homework.

I think if it were me I'd pare back the school time in the winter and take more advantage of Cody.

On that note, you know what they call people who go to school for 8 years?

Doctor!
Smile

trebork2
Deleted

Aug 2, 2007, 12:22 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blakegt] Daydream [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blakegt wrote:
Silly alaskan's with your snow and ice.....Atlanta has had a very mild summer. I've really been enjoying being able to climb outside so much in the summer. I don't think it's gotten over 100 hardly at all this year. I can remember several years where the highs were over 100 almost every day in the summer.

Yeah it's ok if it's 90% but when you throw in 120% humidity that's when it gets bad. I can't complain though I've done some fun climbing down here.

blakegt

Aug 2, 2007, 1:13 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You get used to the humidity it just takes a while. Although, the climbing is better in the winter here. It never really gets to cold to climb in Georgia. Pretty much the colder it is the better the climbing.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook