Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

clausti

Aug 9, 2007, 8:57 PM
Post #1 of 64 (7170 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by clausti
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Partner macherry

Aug 9, 2007, 9:09 PM
Post #2 of 64 (7167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree clausti. i tried to keep the change room thread on track, but obviously it didn't work. i'll bring it up in the mods forum.

Partner philbox

Aug 9, 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #3 of 64 (7120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Subject being discussed now in the mods forum.

I think we may bring some of the discussion in here as well just so's you can be part of the decision making process as it affects you guys more than us. Do feel free to post up anything you care to add.

mheyman

Aug 9, 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 64 (7108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Clausti

As much as I dislike censorship, here it is a better option. Besides everyone is warned beforehand.

On the other hand users should realize that this whole place is a public forum and we've (same group) been through this before in a different way.

(This post was edited by mheyman on Aug 10, 2007, 2:31 AM)

iamthewallress

Aug 10, 2007, 6:08 PM
Post #5 of 64 (7015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the experienced people that used to frequent this site have left because of the moderation and its boring results. Sometimes days go by w/o any posts in the Ladies Room at all. Oh, the horror of off topic posting when the forum is otherwise dead!

I find the idea that the Ladies Room needs more moderation than the other forums pretty damn sexist.

I supported clausti's right as an adult to shout down another a poster who was being totally libelous amonst other things...if you were here you remember. It was a more adult way, IMO, to deal with conflicting opinions than asking one of the boys from the mod forum to come clean up the unsavory points of view.

(This post was edited by iamthewallress on Aug 10, 2007, 6:10 PM)

mheyman

Aug 10, 2007, 6:48 PM
Post #6 of 64 (6998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I surely my fault, but I think you have misunderstood me.

In reply to:
"iamthewallress"]Most of the experienced people that used to frequent this site have left because of the moderation and its boring results. Sometimes days go by w/o any posts in the Ladies Room at all. Oh, the horror of off topic posting when the forum is otherwise dead!

Was there moderation taking place here? I think I missed one picture, but I thought the poster took it off, not moderators. I am surely confused.

In reply to:
I find the idea that the Ladies Room needs more moderation than the other forums pretty damn sexist.

While I agree completely the Ladies Room always been treated differently and we all know it. Oddly enough it is only protected from casual passersby - not from any climber who signed in.

In reply to:
I supported clausti's right as an adult to shout down another a poster who was being totally libelous amonst other things...if you were here you remember. It was a more adult way, IMO, to deal with conflicting opinions than asking one of the boys from the mod forum to come clean up the unsavory points of view.

Thought I'd read the whole thread. I saw some off topic thread drift, but nothing that should have gotten it bumped. Anyway I too support the OP’s right to shout down another a poster though I didn’t see anything libelous. Was there a picture of her?

So:

I don't feel that posts should be moved without good reason and I didn't see any good reason here.

Even though I don’t understand why the thread was moved, I do not understand why the OP was so upset by it. I did read all her posts, but if there was something she did not want to be made public I do not understand why she felt that they weren’t already public in the Ladies Room. As I noted the protection there is “marginal”.

Ok Clausti posted between us -

In reply to:
for the record, i didnt really see any problem with the thread as it was. ...but i think that if you're going to move stuff based on "inappropriate posting" that is NOT the OP, then you should do something about the inappropriate posting, first.

OK looks like I did miss something and I agree with what you (clausti) have wrtten here. But, why then did you feel strongly enough to erase what you had written?

(This post was edited by mheyman on Aug 10, 2007, 6:54 PM)

iamthewallress

Aug 10, 2007, 7:04 PM
Post #7 of 64 (6990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, Mark. I didn't realize that my post would read as though I was only talking about the current threads.

I was referring to an earlier situation where clausti was pissed about being moderated after she got vulgar w/ a user who named a few climbers by name and said that they were only getting press for screwing the photographers whereas the offending comments that didn't use any bad swears got to stay.

That's the problem w/ moderation...Who decides what is offensive? I'm less bothered by off topic remarks and swears than I am the slander, but sometimes there's useful info buried in the slander.

However, since most of us have been blessed with at least a high school level of education and aren't the sorts of girls in need of extreme levels of protection for our delicate senses, it would seem to me that we should all be pretty good managing our own interactions.

iamthewallress

Aug 10, 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #8 of 64 (6986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but i think that if you're going to move stuff based on "inappropriate posting" that is NOT the OP, then you should do something about the inappropriate posting, first.

Yikes...sorry my comments were a little off the mark for the situation then. I didn't realize that happened.

I guess it's a good example of the unintended consequences of moderation. We call that throwing the baby out with the bath water in my neck of the woods.

The locker room thread was one of the only active topics in here and it had lots of on topic posts. I had fun w/ it both on and off topic. Now there's one less reason to check on the LR.

(This post was edited by iamthewallress on Aug 10, 2007, 7:12 PM)

granite_grrl

Aug 10, 2007, 7:38 PM
Post #9 of 64 (6968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really like that we have to call this forum the "Ladies Room" but "Room for serious discussion without every post turing into a god damn joke (though a little joking is okay)" doesn't have the same ring.

Its true there are a lot of fluff threads in here, but there are some good ones too. I have not replied to it, but I really enjoyed reading the insight from others in my "reaction to being pushed" thread. Had I posted that in campground the disscusion would have been far different (as in, there wouldn't have been much of a discussion). People know that this forum is moderated and so people don't post as much bullshit.

I don't think Clausti's thread was getting too out of line, but the thread drift was becoming significant. I would have supported either spliting the discussion or just leaving the thread as is, though.

kimmyt

Aug 10, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #10 of 64 (6946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pasted from thomas' thread, as I just now read this one:

In reply to:
The thing is, I don't know if this forum is warranted anymore. On any given day a thread is posted and the same amount of males reply as females. i don't see why any one of these questions that has been brought up in the past few weeks on this forum could not have been posted in the general (or more realistically, community) forums. I just don't see it as needed. Because honestly, if one of us ladies wants to bring up something in a female-only environment, in hopes of escaping stupid comments and such, the Ladies Room doesn't seem to be the place to do it, because we still get comments and such in here. Why even have this forum?

That is all I have to say.

(This post was edited by kimmyt on Aug 10, 2007, 8:25 PM)

clausti

Aug 10, 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #11 of 64 (6927 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by clausti [In reply to]
Report this Post

erisspirit

Aug 10, 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #12 of 64 (6905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do like at least having a fairly heavily moderated forum to post in. Especially for more women oriented climbing questions. I know I can ask a question and get a serious answer rather than having a bunch of smart ass responses. I find that as a female climber, I do work out differently than the guys, and a lot of female specific climbing advice has been incredibly helpful to me. I also found things like the climbing pregnant thread very interesting and potential useful to me in the far FAR future. I can see that thread going waaaay south in any other section (see the climbing pregnant picture thread in a different section- General I think)

I do understand Clausti being upset. she posted something in a more moderated section a lot because it was more moderated then had it moved to a barely moderated location without knowing it.

mheyman

Aug 11, 2007, 2:07 AM
Post #13 of 64 (6877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2. because i have a pretty damn good idea what happens when threads with me specifically, being naked being the topic, what happens when scummunity has threads like that, and the results have *never* been positive.

I remember, and that is why I asked. Despite having a slightly higher signal to noise ration than much of this site, it is still a public forum. I wouldn’t think that people would post things they didn’t want the public to see.

At the same time I sort of agree with what kimmyt quoted:

In reply to:
“The thing is, I don't know if this forum is warranted...honestly, if one of us ladies wants to bring up something in a female-only environment, in hopes of escaping stupid comments and such, the Ladies Room doesn't seem to be the place to do it, because we still get comments and such in here...”

clausti

Aug 11, 2007, 2:39 AM
Post #14 of 64 (6870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

jakedatc

Aug 11, 2007, 3:25 AM
Post #15 of 64 (6860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's what happens when you "fire" the Mods that actually had a spine to stand up and not tolerate the BS. Also seems like the consistency
is next to nil.. what one mod thinks is fine is another's tarpit. And discussion seems to be an afterthought when people get pissed rather than a group decision prior to acting.
I think before Christina's thread would have been moved to M/E discussed.. pruned and replaced with a warning about the rules around the ladies forum.

This was the old way.
maculated wrote:
The spirit behind the ladies room is two fold:
1. it is a place for women with sensitive, climbing related issues to discuss such issues in a peaceful, supportive, and mature environment
2. it is a place for posting about woman-specific climbing issues

Anything that is posted here that does not meet the above criteria will be moved or deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Thanks and happy posting!

clausti

Aug 13, 2007, 7:28 PM
Post #16 of 64 (6639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 13, 2007, 8:57 PM
Post #17 of 64 (6612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or....

Moderate the Ladies Room as advertised.

When idiots post things like the "f/ing in moderation" comment - "remind" them that it's unacceptable for Ladies Room posting and tell them that, since they're obviously too stupid to be left unattended, that you'll make sure they don't accidentally wander in here again; ie: ban access to this forum for them.

You know...I need a decent photo of a climbing crag, for a graphic artwork that will be donated to a climbing event. I had wanted to post a request for it in the Photography Forum here on rc. Bu when I went to the forum....I saw that I am not allowed to start a thread in that forum, nor even respond to threads already in existence, if I remember correctly.

So... a process for the winnowing of the useless/undesirable IS possible, and already in place, in this site. I'm sure that the mgmnt of rc doesn't mean to imply that they care enough about those who are into photography to make there section free of garbage, but doesn't feel the same about the women who use the site, do they?

Partner macherry

Aug 13, 2007, 9:45 PM
Post #18 of 64 (6592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in removing the the "oxymoron comment, i inadvertantly moved clausti's post to the recycle bin too.. I'm sorry, i can't seem to bring the post back.

clausti, pm me if it's an issue.

I'll try and keep things on track, but i'm slowly being won over to the removal of the ladies forum.

I enjoy a joke, as much as the next person, but the dumbass remarks during a serious discussion, in a forum that states from the start is "highly moderated", makes me wonder where certain user's reading comprehension begins and ends!!!

good lord, if you can't abide by the terms of the ladies room, don't come in here

climb_eng

Aug 13, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #19 of 64 (6589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heres an idea: perhaps we need a general 'serious' room. Highly (and PROPERLY) moderated where persons of both genders can ask sensitive questions. Here, you could have a catch all thread discussing all things that people don't want to degrade into into flame wars, misinformation and nonsense.

I like how everyone who posts in the ladies room is (was?) more careful about what they say, and I think this service should be extended to all members of RC.com, and not just the ladies.

Partner macherry

Aug 13, 2007, 9:57 PM
Post #20 of 64 (6587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
Heres an idea: perhaps we need a general 'serious' room. Highly (and PROPERLY) moderated where persons of both genders can ask sensitive questions. Here, you could have a catch all thread discussing all things that people don't want to degrade into into flame wars, misinformation and nonsense.

I like how everyone who posts in the ladies room is (was?) more careful about what they say, and I think this service should be extended to all members of RC.com, and not just the ladies.

good point!!!

clausti

Aug 13, 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #21 of 64 (6584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

clausti

Aug 13, 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #22 of 64 (6577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

dingus

Aug 13, 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #23 of 64 (6557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh, no. (sorry)

Cheers
DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Aug 14, 2007, 4:15 PM)

clausti

Aug 13, 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #24 of 64 (6647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] can we have some fucking moderation in here? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Why do you people let men edit this forum AT ALL? It makes no sense.

because "we people" do not have the power to "let" them mod or not mod us at all. "we" do not pick the moderators of this forum.

unless by "you people" you mean site management, and then the answer seems to be "aren't accountable in a democratic fashion at all, because this is a commercial site, but are humans in need of social approval, and do feel stressed out when people yell at us, which, as we have demonstrated, is how issues get addressed on our commercial site, since we have to have the appearance of a happy forum to make it amusing to return here."

Partner philbox

Aug 13, 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #25 of 64 (6641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus, you might have missed where I declare that I avoid moderating in this forum. I believe that we have enough women mods to do the job. I also ascribe to the belief that self moderation is a principle worth living up to. In other words the denizens of any forum should be able to take to task any member who steps out of line. If that member becomes a serious issue for all the other members then the mods can be called upon to remove the access privies of that member. Of course this does not apply to spam and scams which will always be dealt with summarily.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook