RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

klopik

Sep 19, 2007, 6:12 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2495 views)
Shortcut

Sleeping Bag
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello, ladies!
Any recommendations for a new sleeping bag?
I just lost my old one, which is just as well - I was always freezing in it.
I don't do any serious winter camping or anything like that, so does anyone have a recommendation for a good 3 season sleeping bag? :)

carabiner96

Sep 19, 2007, 7:03 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [klopik] Sleeping Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just ordered the womens teton reg from marmot, a 0* down bag...I'll let ya know!

klopik

Sep 19, 2007, 7:07 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Sleeping Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, keep me posted! :)

iamthewallress

Sep 20, 2007, 2:27 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm about 5'6", and I got an REI sub-kilo down bag that is for women up to 5'6". It's so much warmer than similarly rated bags made for 6' tall (or taller) men. Smaller and lighter too.

If you don't have dryness needs, I tend to find down to be warmer at similar ratings, and of course,
it tends to be smaller, lighter, and snugglier.

map

Sep 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Marmot Angel Fire down sleeping bag. It is a 3-season bag (sold to -9C... no idea what that is in Farhenheit though!), and I find it perfect. I am 5'2 (on a good day) and because this sleeping bag comes in 2 lengths, I was able to buy the short one, which means I never feel cold because the bag is too long anymore. Also, because it is down, it clings to the body better and therefore keeps you warmer (downside: not ideal if you go camping in very humid places). I definitely recommend it.

Map.

geogoddess

Sep 25, 2007, 3:51 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2316 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Sleeping Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have that same Sub-Kilo bag- jsut took it backpacking & loved it. But you know how taffeta can feel kinda clammy when you strip down? I have a superlight Marmot liner that I put inside the other bag. It increases the warmth, plus (and this is really why I do it) it has a fuzzy micro-fleece liner that feels good on my skin. The Marmot liner also works great by itself for summer desert & river trips, when you really don't need much of anything at all.

The Marmot liner packs smaller than a down jacket, you won't even notice it if you pack it with your other bag & smash it with the compression straps. Worth bringing along if you have the space.

ao

Oct 2, 2007, 4:13 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Marmot Never Summer, 0 degree Fahrenheit, and I love it! I"ve had it for 3 years now, and it's great for all seasons- obviously it's mostly used during climbing season (April-Nov), though it worked great the one time I did winter camping as well :)
(BTW, it's 600 down fill).

Alison

(This post was edited by ao on Oct 2, 2007, 4:15 AM)

cantbuymefriends

Oct 3, 2007, 4:42 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [map] Sleeping Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

map wrote:
I have a Marmot Angel Fire down sleeping bag. It is a 3-season bag (sold to -9C... no idea what that is in Farhenheit though!), and I find it perfect. I am 5'2 (on a good day) and because this sleeping bag comes in 2 lengths, I was able to buy the short one, which means I never feel cold because the bag is too long anymore. Also, because it is down, it clings to the body better and therefore keeps you warmer (downside: not ideal if you go camping in very humid places). I definitely recommend it.

Map.
My GF also has the Marmot Angel Fire, and is very happy with it. She's about 5'6 and I don't know if she's got the Regular or the Long model, but I think the different lengths are quite handy.

Oh, and temp rating of -9C converts to +16F.

roseraie

Oct 5, 2007, 6:15 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cantbuymefriends] Sleeping Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I was ALWAYS cold in my two previous sleeping bags... I'm 5'4", and for some reason my ass was always freezing.

My new bag, which I LOVE and I'm toasty warm no matter how cold it is outside... it's a North Face Women's Snowshoe, the short version (for women up to 5'6"). It's a synthetic 0 degree bag. Not too heavy, but a little bulky for backpacking... though I still take it and I'm sooo cozy at night. My feet are warm, and it's got lots of extra padding around the hips and butt so I stay warm!

borealchick

Oct 7, 2007, 9:17 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a 20 degree bag for all four seasons. Keeping your pack light is key so just throw on all of your warm clothes, hop in the bag and you will be fine- no need for a 0 degree bag. Also keep in mind that down looses it's insulation when wet so if your climate is wet (like here in New England) a synthetic fill is more appropriate as it will still keep you warm when- not comfortable- but warm none the less!

clee03m

Oct 11, 2007, 2:28 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roseraie] Sleeping Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roseraie wrote:
Hey I was ALWAYS cold in my two previous sleeping bags... I'm 5'4", and for some reason my ass was always freezing.

My new bag, which I LOVE and I'm toasty warm no matter how cold it is outside... it's a North Face Women's Snowshoe, the short version (for women up to 5'6"). It's a synthetic 0 degree bag. Not too heavy, but a little bulky for backpacking... though I still take it and I'm sooo cozy at night. My feet are warm, and it's got lots of extra padding around the hips and butt so I stay warm!

I just got the same bag, and I was not cold for the first time. It's got fleece for your feet and hands, and I was very comfortable in 30 degree weather. My previous bag was a 30 degree one, and I was always cold even in 40-50's weather. I am really cold blooded, though. I would rather have a warmer bag and can sleep in something light than to have to wear everything you have to stay barely warm.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook