Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

acacongua

Oct 16, 2007, 2:00 PM
Post #1 of 27 (7764 views)
Shortcut

Are clothing sizes getting bigger?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've always worn size Med, and my weight is close to what it has been since high school (I'm 31). Now I wear size Small. I thought the girls grew some!

I have an older style of Banana Republic pants that do not allow me to breathe if I put them on. However, every pants I've bought in the same size from the same company in the past year feel a bit baggy on me.

Are sizes getting redefined as our body sizes go up (on the whole as a society)?

kimmyt

Oct 16, 2007, 2:55 PM
Post #2 of 27 (7752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

!!

I'm not the only one who has noticed this...

I guess some people refer to it as 'vanity sizing', I think it occurs primarily in women's clothes, I would think because the large number of people nowadays that are overweight or obese. So, people hate being a size 12, so clothes companies think 'oh we'll make them a size 8 and then they'll buy our clothes!'. I guess it works.

Pisses me off to no end, because seriously? I'm not a freaking 2. Yet in several stores, I have to buy (almost) the smallest size there. If the sizing were true, then I'd be one of the smallest people around, but I'm not. I've got curves. I couldn't imagine being smaller than I currently am, I'd have to shop in the kid's section! (although kid's clothes now are looking more and more like adult clothes, but I guess that's another rant...)

wonderwoman

Oct 16, 2007, 3:36 PM
Post #3 of 27 (7743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kimmyt] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I especially notice this when I go shopping at Old Navy! It's nuts!

acacongua

Oct 16, 2007, 3:39 PM
Post #4 of 27 (7741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

KimmyT -

Size 2 is usually the only size left on the clearance rack. I envy you.

I guess they got to use what tricks they can, but it sucks when I order clothes and have to pay the shipping to return them after I find out they don't fit. Bitches!

granite_grrl

Oct 16, 2007, 3:49 PM
Post #5 of 27 (7737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clothes sizes are weird. I do think that main stream clothing has a lot of vanity sizing.

Ex - I know that my feet are a solid 9.5 woman's. Other my steel toed shoes I wear at work, I'm not sure the last time I actually bought something that was a 9.5. Seems that size 9 almost always fits me for most shoes.

I find it much easier when I have to ask for stuff in men's sizes or euro sizes.

I will also admit that I am wearing size larges far more than I used to in high school (same thing, in the past 9 years I haven't gotten much bigger, used to always wear a medium). But I'm not sure if I just now enjoy clothes that are fit more comfortably or if clothes sizes are actually changing.

climb_eng

Oct 16, 2007, 4:03 PM
Post #6 of 27 (7730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MY girlfriend seems to think that vanity sizing is mostly an American thing, and not a Canadian thing. She refers to things as either a Canadian or an American size based on how it fit her.

kimmyt

Oct 16, 2007, 4:05 PM
Post #7 of 27 (7727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
KimmyT -

Size 2 is usually the only size left on the clearance rack. I envy you.

!

:( not around me! I'm hard-pressed to find anything thats on sale in a smaller size. Most things are in the double digits when I go sale rack shopping...

wonderwoman

Oct 16, 2007, 4:58 PM
Post #8 of 27 (7714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
MY girlfriend seems to think that vanity sizing is mostly an American thing, and not a Canadian thing. She refers to things as either a Canadian or an American size based on how it fit her.

That's because all us Americans have become super-sized! Want some fries with that 46" waist line?

microbarn

Oct 16, 2007, 5:40 PM
Post #9 of 27 (7700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

echoing most of what kimmyt says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

Check out the links for the real meat of the discussion.

Partner macherry

Oct 16, 2007, 6:48 PM
Post #10 of 27 (7686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Clothes sizes are weird. I do think that main stream clothing has a lot of vanity sizing.

Ex - I know that my feet are a solid 9.5 woman's. Other my steel toed shoes I wear at work, I'm not sure the last time I actually bought something that was a 9.5. Seems that size 9 almost always fits me for most shoes.

I find it much easier when I have to ask for stuff in men's sizes or euro sizes.

I will also admit that I am wearing size larges far more than I used to in high school (same thing, in the past 9 years I haven't gotten much bigger, used to always wear a medium). But I'm not sure if I just now enjoy clothes that are fit more comfortably or if clothes sizes are actually changing.

i fit for comfort, and prefer men's jeans and khakis rather than the women's fit for pants.

acacongua

Oct 16, 2007, 7:07 PM
Post #11 of 27 (7674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
echoing most of what kimmyt says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

Check out the links for the real meat of the discussion.

That's a great source for this topic.

What frustrates me is that I think Prana followed this new sizing fad and I thought their main audience were healthy individuals. However, my only reference is their sports bras and my sudden downsizing. I have to refrain from buying anything until I can get to a store and try on tops.

thomasribiere

Oct 16, 2007, 7:29 PM
Post #12 of 27 (7670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Europe sizes have redefined last year I think, as the population is getting taller and larger : the former M are now S, or so.

tigerlilly

Oct 16, 2007, 8:21 PM
Post #13 of 27 (7658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
I've always worn size Med, and my weight is close to what it has been since high school (I'm 31). Now I wear size Small. I thought the girls grew some!

I've been having this exact same problem, and will cease to buy clothing mail order for this reason (take note manufacturers and e-tailers!). To make matters worse, sizing charts on the manufacturers' websites have not kept pace with the change. I bought a pair of OR capris in a local store, and was surprised to find I was a size small, after being a medium for my entire adult life. I found a different color of the same pant on line, but had to go back to a medium to get the same fit (last year's model?) And, according to Isis sizing charts, I wear a size 10. In reality, I turned out to be a 4 (after 2 returns), and that's a little loose. Once upon a time, I was a reliable size 8. Then sometimes I was a 6. Now, I have no idea what I am, and my dimensions are virtually unchanged for the last 25 years. No wonder I hate shopping!

Kathy Crazy

matterunomama

Oct 16, 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #14 of 27 (7636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Banana Republic is particularly absurd. Last time I went I was a size ZERO, which is a ridiculous concept, despite previously being a size 4, then size two-and being 7-8 pounds heavier and mommy-tummy'd over those same years! And then the pants are too long (I'm 5'3"). I stopped shopping there, for that and other reasons.

iamthewallress

Oct 17, 2007, 1:37 AM
Post #15 of 27 (7622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 5'6" and normal, not exceptionally skinny, weight. When I buy a S or XS, I have to wonder what you do if you're 5'0 and skinny.

microbarn

Oct 17, 2007, 2:17 AM
Post #16 of 27 (7617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
I'm 5'6" and normal, not exceptionally skinny, weight. When I buy a S or XS, I have to wonder what you do if you're 5'0 and skinny.

My 5' wife spends more time then she likes in the kids section. I probably can't tell you her weight, but she is thin even compared to skinny folk.

carabiner96

Oct 17, 2007, 5:35 AM
Post #17 of 27 (7606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm scrawny, and i've had to start buying kids stuff. sux.

lena_chita

Oct 17, 2007, 3:46 PM
Post #18 of 27 (7568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear you! I'm wearing right now GAP kids jeans... On the positive side though, they were only $10, while the identical-style women's jeans were $29.99 on sale.

I noticed the size change over time, definitely. When I came to the US in 1994, I was buying size 3-5 in youth or size 4-6 in women's. I am at the same weight now, but depending on the store, I might be lucky to get size 2, and mostly it is size 0.

And in some cases size 0 is way too big... I am less then sero... Nothing... a ghost, apparently.

WHY can't women's clothing come in inch-sizes, like men's? OH, wait, I know why... Most women don't want to admit to their waist size.

Still, some stores do it-- Lucky jeans, for example. But then I run into another problem-- they don't stock up my size b/c there is little demand for it.

mindaa

Oct 17, 2007, 4:17 PM
Post #19 of 27 (7563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

What a great thread - I've been wondering the same thing! I too am lean but definitely not skinny. I can't find anything to fit at stores like Kohl's. This came up with a gal at work, and apparently if you're scrawny, you just have to be able to afford to shop at Nordstrom's etc. where you can buy designer clothes.

I actually read a magazine criticizing clothing manufacturers for developing size 00 and 0, hypothesizing that it was promoting "unobtainable beauty standards" that the average size 10 woman can't meet. Made me want to scream - it's almost just the opposite...this current trend is of manufacturers promoting American women's acceptance of their unhealthy lifestyles.

(disclaimer: of course I don't think it's any more healthy for women to strive towards being a boney & size 00 when that's not their natural shape.)

tavs

Oct 17, 2007, 7:32 PM
Post #20 of 27 (7541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mindaa] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Another voice here--same problem. Despite no real weight changes, I've mysteriously gone from a 6/7 all the way down to a 0 or 2 (depending on the store, style, and phase of the moon) in the last 5 years or so. And I agree--it sucks to not be able to reliably shop online or in catalogs. I find even within one store/brand, the size differs dramatically depending on the style. At a Levi's outlet, I tried on juniors jeans in a size 3--while they fit (absurdly), I didn't find anything I really liked. So I tried on a couple pair in misses size 2 and 4--both sizes were HUGE. I could literally pull them off without unbuttoning them. WTF?

Yes, inch sizes would rock. I think women's pants should come with three measurements: waist, hip, and inseam.

acacongua

Oct 18, 2007, 2:15 AM
Post #21 of 27 (7496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lena -

I think you might have to order your clothes from an Asian country! Where are you from?

I think we're going to need negative sizes!

wiki

Oct 18, 2007, 3:04 AM
Post #22 of 27 (7495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And on a more rock climbing note... Its happened to harnesses too!

I've gone from a size 8 Primrose to a size 4 and they don't make them any smaller...

If this keeps going my next harness will be a Whizz-Kid with 'not for lead climbing' written all over it! OUCH!

overlord

Oct 19, 2007, 8:37 AM
Post #23 of 27 (7418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have also noticed this. and in mens sizes too. i fit into a S sport underwear (you know, it has to be tight and M is just too loose), but i remember that i used to wear M or L (ok, these were a bit baggy) chlotes when i was in high school; i couldnt fit into a S.

and a female friend of mine also suddenly fits S. and while she is by no means fat, she is not small, id say shes just right (climber, runner etc).

gumbelina

Oct 19, 2007, 6:14 PM
Post #24 of 27 (7370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have noticed that I am somewhere between a M and a L now when I used to be able to just blindly order a L. Happily though, it seems like Patagonia started cutting their baselayer tops differently last year and are now longer at the waist and larger at the bust. It doesn't make sense considering that many fit women tend to not be large-chested, but for me it's great because I finally have a couple of wool tops that fit.

olive

Oct 31, 2007, 1:29 AM
Post #25 of 27 (7219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gumbelina] Are clothing sizes getting bigger? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, everytime I have to buy a small top, I have to wonder, if I am a small, what do the women who are actually small buying (well, I learned from this thread, apparently kids' clothing)? I really think this is the only country in the world where I am a small. It becomes apparent to me everytime I go back to Turkey, there I am almost always a bigger size than I am here.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook