RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

runawayagain

Oct 19, 2007, 2:31 AM
Post #1 of 16 (8059 views)
Shortcut

How much KN can hold a fall?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I mean for every Protection device,such as SLCD, there will be a max holding power, like blackdiamond c3s,the 000 is for aid use only,it can hold 4kn,and the 00 can hold 6kn etc....The question is,if the protection is well placed, how much kn can hold a fall? in general,more than 5kn or 8kn?

flint

Oct 19, 2007, 2:46 AM
Post #2 of 16 (8051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [runawayagain] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

runawayagain wrote:
I mean for every Protection device,such as SLCD, there will be a max holding power, like blackdiamond c3s,the 000 is for aid use only,it can hold 4kn,and the 00 can hold 6kn etc....The question is,if the protection is well placed, how much kn can hold a fall? in general,more than 5kn or 8kn?

You question is to vast and stated wrong. First, the question I think you are asking is how much force can the gear hold? Secondly, to figure out the force of a fall there needs to be more information given, length above gear, distance to belay, rope direction, etc... To asnswer the question you have given, the BD00 is rated to 6Kn then it will break around 6Kn. This is considering that the rock doesn't fracture along with other variables.

Check this out, it is the petzl fall simulator... see if it helps.

http://en.petzl.com/...l=56&Activite=14

j-

coastal_climber

Oct 19, 2007, 4:12 AM
Post #3 of 16 (7995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:
runawayagain wrote:

You question is to vast and stated wrong. First, the question I think you are asking is how much force can the gear hold? Secondly, to figure out the force of a fall there needs to be more information given, length above gear, distance to belay, rope direction, etc... To asnswer the question you have given, the BD00 is rated to 6Kn then it will break around 6Kn. This is considering that the rock doesn't fracture along with other variables.

j-

Flint has it right. There are many factors that go into a placement. The rating on a cam is for perfect placements, which don't always happen. It's kind of hard to answer.

>Cam

runawayagain

Oct 19, 2007, 5:25 AM
Post #4 of 16 (7959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
flint wrote:
runawayagain wrote:

j-

Flint has it right. There are many factors that go into a placement. The rating on a cam is for perfect placements, which don't always happen. It's kind of hard to answer.

>Cam

You both are right,there are many factor which can effect this. But why manufacturer will mark some device is aid-only, and I found that most of aid-only device can hold no more than 5kn? So I think they must have their standart. Such as the crack is solid,and the protection is well placed,even fall factor is no more than 1,the climber's weight is no more than 80kg(I guess). All these just means for normal falling or most situation when falling.So if holding power is less than 5kn,the device is aid-only means that the manufacturer think that most falling power is big than 5kn in normal situation.

So what I asked is what is the falling power standard which use to distinguish whether a protection device is aid-only or not ? 5kn or 6kn or 8 kn?

flint

Oct 19, 2007, 5:44 AM
Post #5 of 16 (7948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, lets review... I know that you are new to the sport and that you are from China, so I understand the terminology disconnect, but terms in these situations are very important. I am not trying to be mean, just helping.

The question should read...

What is the force in Kn that is used as a standard to distinguish whether protection is aid-only or not ? 5kn or 6kn or 8 kn?

Fall force and fall factor are two different measurements. And fall power could allude to either.

Secondly, to determine how strong a piece of pro is, companies pull test and/or drop test these pieces. These two processes are extremely different from the standard climbing fall and should be understood/applied as a standard and not an exact replication of an actuall climbing fall.

Now, I believe that I read somewhere that the standard for directional aid / body weight only gear is a 5Kn breaking force. I do not know an exact source for this, maybe Cam or someone else can point to a location.

Why is it that you are interested in this. Did you buy a full set of BD brass and now you want to climb above them?

j-

runawayagain

Oct 19, 2007, 6:17 AM
Post #6 of 16 (7937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:
Ok, lets review... I know that you are new to the sport and that you are from China, so I understand the terminology disconnect, but terms in these situations are very important. I am not trying to be mean, just helping.

The question should read...

What is the force in Kn that is used as a standard to distinguish whether protection is aid-only or not ? 5kn or 6kn or 8 kn?

Fall force and fall factor are two different measurements. And fall power could allude to either.

Secondly, to determine how strong a piece of pro is, companies pull test and/or drop test these pieces. These two processes are extremely different from the standard climbing fall and should be understood/applied as a standard and not an exact replication of an actuall climbing fall.

Now, I believe that I read somewhere that the standard for directional aid / body weight only gear is a 5Kn breaking force. I do not know an exact source for this, maybe Cam or someone else can point to a location.

Why is it that you are interested in this. Did you buy a full set of BD brass and now you want to climb above them?

j-

Thank you very much Flint, I want to buy a set of ultra light TCU, but my friend asked me:" wether the 0 and 00 are useful for you? It's for aid-use".So I wonder the main difference(say the force of KN) of protection device between aid and free trad climbing.
And I caculate the fall force on Petzl's website.Seemed if fall factor is no more than 1,use 8.5 mm rope, and my weight is 65kg,the fall force will be no more than 500 dan( 5kn). But if the climber's weight is up to 75 or 80kg,the fall force will up to more than 800 daN.

flint

Oct 19, 2007, 6:39 AM
Post #7 of 16 (7926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, metolius makes a free climbing set of the TCU's that is sizes 1-4. You can find them hear.

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/ultralight_tcu.htm

at the bottom.

Secondly, I do know people that free climb above the size 0 piece, but they are extremely good with gear and understand the issues climbing above these pieces. Climbing above the 0 and 00 is not recommended and should not be done by someone unfamiliar with gear climbing.

Third, an 8.5 dim. rope is extremely thin. This size is typically used for ice and or as a twin/double rope. most gear climbers use anything between a 9.8 rope and a 10.5. please consider this when using the simulator, along with the fact that gear climbs normally creates directions in the rope, and not a perfect straight path situation.

Pretty sure you haven't been climbing much, please try and find someone to help/teach you with these things. And try and learn as much as possible. Maybe pick up a John Long book.

j-

shrug7

Oct 19, 2007, 1:27 PM
Post #8 of 16 (7881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To add my two cents... the 000 and 00 pieces make good "confidence" pieces. e.g. if it's all you can get in for your mind to get over the next move...

Carnage

Oct 19, 2007, 1:35 PM
Post #9 of 16 (7869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shrug7] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shrug7 wrote:
To add my two cents... the 000 and 00 pieces make good "confidence" pieces. e.g. if it's all you can get in for your mind to get over the next move...

lol, then you fall, and break your 50$ gear, then deck so your medical bill is 1,000,050$ instead of 1mil

Wink

i have been wondering this also though, like would you climb above a #1 TCU (rated at 8 kN) w/ confidence that it will hold your fall?

(This post was edited by Carnage on Oct 19, 2007, 1:37 PM)

shrug7

Oct 19, 2007, 1:53 PM
Post #10 of 16 (7859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ropes are usually rated between 8 and 10kN so an 8kN piece...no problem and I'm also a bigger guy (215lb) It's when the rantings start to get in the 2-4kN...um ya....I have climbed above a #3 BD stopper and didn't think much about it and that's rated 5kN I think. When a smaller piece of gear gets placed for "confidence" a higher rated piece goes in ASAP once passed the move. when in doubt, back it up....or just don't fall. Wink

The smaller the piece, the less distance you have above it...

(This post was edited by shrug7 on Oct 19, 2007, 2:01 PM)

ja1484

Oct 31, 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #11 of 16 (7662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
flint wrote:
runawayagain wrote:

j-

>Cam

More importantly, the rating is the strength of the cam itself, not its holding power.

Remember, the vast majority of gear placements that fail do so because the ROCK lets go of the gear, not because the gear itself breaks.

Check rock quality along with everything else when placing trad gear. It's just as important.

ja1484

Oct 31, 2007, 1:02 PM
Post #12 of 16 (7635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shrug7] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shrug7 wrote:
Ropes are usually rated between 8 and 10kN so an 8kN piece...no problem and I'm also a bigger guy (215lb) It's when the rantings start to get in the 2-4kN...um ya....I have climbed above a #3 BD stopper and didn't think much about it and that's rated 5kN I think. When a smaller piece of gear gets placed for "confidence" a higher rated piece goes in ASAP once passed the move. when in doubt, back it up....or just don't fall. Wink

The smaller the piece, the less distance you have above it...

Dammit, ropes are much much stronger than 8 - 10 kN.

I am getting so tired of people confusing impact force for tensile strength ratings. Not only does it leave you with a complete misinterpretation of your rope's abilities, but it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how fall forces work when using dynamic rope systems and thus HOW they're affecting the protection in place.

What on earth makes you people think that 9-11mm dynamic ropes have a lower tensile strength than 7mm accessory cord is beyond me.

stymingersfink

Nov 1, 2007, 4:33 AM
Post #13 of 16 (7509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
What on earth makes you people think that 9-11mm dynamic ropes have a lower tensile strength than 7mm accessory cord is beyond me.
I think it's safe to say a distinct lack of understanding on the *(-)49%'s part.

*the (-)49%, a simple summation of a realization an old friend once shared with me, in that you must ask youself "how dumb is the average man... and 1/2 the people left are dumber than that"

flint

Nov 1, 2007, 9:11 AM
Post #14 of 16 (7483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:
flint wrote:
runawayagain wrote:

j-

>Cam

More importantly, the rating is the strength of the cam itself, not its holding power.

Remember, the vast majority of gear placements that fail do so because the ROCK lets go of the gear, not because the gear itself breaks.

Check rock quality along with everything else when placing trad gear. It's just as important.

Said that: See bold above...

j-

degaine

Nov 1, 2007, 10:47 AM
Post #15 of 16 (7469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:
Third, an 8.5 dim. rope is extremely thin. This size is typically used for ice and or as a twin/double rope. most gear climbers use anything between a 9.8 rope and a 10.5.

Lot's of "gear climbers" use doubles (including me). The thinner rope places a lower impact force on the gear among other advantages.

flint wrote:
please consider this when using the simulator, along with the fact that gear climbs normally creates directions in the rope, and not a perfect straight path situation.

Another good reason to use doubles - rarely if ever any rope drag.

Partner angry

Nov 2, 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #16 of 16 (7406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [degaine] How much KN can hold a fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I get a good placement, I'm quite happy down to 5k. I don't run the little stuff out though, it's not prudent.

I'll freak out over much stronger gear if the placement isn't good though.

The 2-3kn pieces I have do get placed free climbing, but they get backed up as soon as I can.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook