RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

uasunflower

Dec 11, 2007, 1:10 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Barcelona/Pyrenees in January
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have to go to Barcelona for a couple of days in January - is anything climable in the region during that time (siurana?)? Where would be the closest ice or ski touring destination in the Pyrenees? and...anyone wants to climb? (dates not fixed yet)

brunoschull

Dec 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uasunflower] Barcelona/Pyrenees in January [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello from Barcelona.
There are lots places close to Barcelona with good climbing in January. Siurana is the most famous, about 2 hours away by car, but just 20 minutes out of the city, you have Garraf, a nice limestone crag, and right in the middle of the city, you have Montjuich Park, and the Fuixarda Tunnel, which has been converted into a enourmous, free, outdoor, climbing gym with many sport routes.

The best bet for ski touring is perhaps the Val de Ter in the Catalan Pyrenees, about 3 hours from Barcelona. You can start from a ski station, there is a nice refuge, and there many fun peaks to climb, and moderate alpine/mixed climbs if you want to combine skiing and mountaineering. For bigger peaks, and generally better snow conditions, you could travel a little farther to the Val de Aran or Andorra.

The best ice is about 3-3.5 hours from Barcelona in the Val de Boi, at a site sometimes called Cavallers. Everything from easy WI2-3 to multi-pitch WI 5 and 6. Conditions are variable but it's quite cold right now in the mountains and everything is freezing up....There is much more great ice in the Spanish and Pyrenees (Benasque, Tunnel de Vielsa, Gavernie) but these sites are farther from Barcelona.

If/when you come to Spain feel free to contact me:
brunoschull@hotmail.com

I am always looking for partners to ski and climb ice/alpine in Spain.

I looked at your profile, and I think you are more skilled than me, but I have plenty of experience in the mountains, and I am a competent leader on moderate rock/snow/ice.

Finally, my wife and I may move to Switzerland next year, so perhaps I will contact you about climbing in the Alps....

All the best,

Bruno

uasunflower

Dec 17, 2007, 4:03 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brunoschull] Barcelona/Pyrenees in January [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

great, thx for the advice, will maybe contact you for conditions update in a week or two...

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook