RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mainline

Nov 1, 2002, 6:25 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Rapping With Heavy Haul Bag
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've never done a climb long enough to require bringing a haul bag along, but I hope to some day. I was wondering how you lower your haul bag if you have to rap back down the climb. Is it attached to you as you rappel, or do you lower it first? If it is attached, do you need to create a special brake system?

pbjosh

Nov 1, 2002, 6:37 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Rapping With Heavy Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My preference?

2' sling girth hitched to harness, pear biner & rap device (w/ decent friction) attached to that. Then hang the bag from the pear biner as well at a length that allows you to sit on it straddle style. Down ya' go.

josh

apollodorus

Nov 1, 2002, 7:22 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best way is to attach the haul bag to the rap device, clip yourself to the bag, and hop on for the ride. It's much easier to deal with the pig if you're riding it. If it's dangling below on a sling from your harness, you better wear a cup.

gunked

Nov 1, 2002, 7:28 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When rapping with a load, I basically put the haulbag on belay and attach myself to the rappel biner. I'll attach myself with a daisy (adjustables work great here) and a backup runner. Don't forget to use prusiks as backups!

Looks like Apollodorus beat me to the punchline!

Jason

[ This Message was edited by: gunked on 2002-10-31 23:30 ]

pbjosh

Nov 1, 2002, 7:29 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tom -

Read my post a second time and tell me if we're not saying the same thing: Rope through rap device/pear biner. Bag hanging from that. Me hanging from it as well via a 2' sling so that I'm sitting on the bag (maybe I forgot to say comfortably istead of nut-crushingly, heh)... I prefer to have the belay device a bit higher than straight at the top of the pig, makes it a touch easier to control speed and maneouver (sp?) the pig around obstacles that may arise.

Rescue someone the same way, except put them in your lap instead of you in their lap for the rappel.

josh

gunked

Nov 1, 2002, 7:36 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh,
Your first reply didn't read very clear. The second one is crystal, though. The only thing I would add is to be able to easily reach above the belay device so that you can use prusik(s) if necessary. At first guess, a 2' runner seems kinda long. I'd use that and an adjustable daisy to get easily comfortable.

Jason

punk

Nov 1, 2002, 12:43 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As PTPP famous words are “ride the pig”

fishypete

Nov 1, 2002, 2:10 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My question: how can this thread have gone on so long without a reference to the Good Dr's monstrous missive on pig riding???

Please click here to read Ask Dr. Piton ... about how to rappel with a very heavy load.

Carpe Swinem!!!

Fishy.

[ This Message was edited by: fishypete on 2002-11-01 06:24 ]

dune

Nov 2, 2002, 12:16 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, being about 2' out from the rap biner works for me too. Oh, and I use an autoblock for backup, not a prusik for goodness sake.

But this still doesn't make it easy to pendy to a rap station that's not directly in line with the one you're on. I had one of the worst fights trying to claw may way to a rappel station 15' over while sporting a pig the size of a two bit who’e. My partner, watching from above, laughed his jack off while I got tossed, several times. Needless to say I was miffed as a badger with his huevos all tied up in a wad, and I swear the pig was laughing too. I still have nice scars on my knuckles to show for it.

So, what advice do you have for that? I know what I'll try next time, pig goes 2nd. But sometimes everyone has a pig. Anyway, what's the best approach?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook