RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

h4lf_rope

Jun 6, 2008, 4:23 PM
Post #1 of 11 (4802 views)
Shortcut

Wrist strain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I peeled off while bouldering, causing my left hand to get wrenched off a sloper. Before it came off, I felt a 'snap, crackle, and pop' as one of my extensor tendons went through a world of hurt. The good news is that I didn't blow out a tendon, or break one of those dainty wrist bones. The bad news, as you may have guess, is that I'm out until the pain backs off.

Any cross-training suggestions while I'm laid up? I've been practicing my one-arm dead-point traversing skills. Wink

rockforlife

Jun 6, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #2 of 11 (4792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [h4lf_rope] Wrist strain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happy time or your special alone time might work, what ever you want to call it

milesenoell

Jun 14, 2008, 6:43 AM
Post #3 of 11 (4721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ouch! I too have a wrist issue, mine's a little different, but they probably have some similarities. The retractor tendon for my left thumb is repeatedly getting inflamed from running over a calcified lump (from a broken wrist as a kid) made worse by the fact that most of the problem is from working not climbing, but either way it doesn't get much time to rest and heal.

So, I've seen some docs and come to see the pattern:
try 24/7 NSAID's at double strength (Naproxen sodium is easiest to remember since it's just twice a day) for a couple weeks (no drinking alcohol) to see if it responds. Usually your good right there if you really keep up with the 24/7 regime and stay off the rocks for the most part, but next you either really stop climbing or hit it with cortisone (and tell the doc that you stopped). next it's either surgery or actually giving up climbing. I'm headed for surgery.

h4lf_rope

Jun 14, 2008, 6:58 AM
Post #4 of 11 (4716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Wrist strain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll stick to vitamin I and ice, I don't relish the cardiac risks associated with NSAIDs (edit: oops, looks like I said something stupid here!) , and cortisone isn't an attractive option in the long term. The plan for now is to stay off the rock. Once I'm pain free during everyday activities for a week or two, I'll give climbing another shot.

It isn't worth cutting my climbing career - coming up on a year- short.

(This post was edited by h4lf_rope on Aug 7, 2008, 1:49 PM)

milesenoell

Jun 15, 2008, 6:23 AM
Post #5 of 11 (4678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cardiac risk? As far as I know it's just a load on your kidneys, thus the no alcohol. And ibuprofen is definitely an NSAID. (NonSteroidalAntiInflamitoryDrug, as opposed to cortisone which is a steroid)

onceahardman

Jun 15, 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #6 of 11 (4666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Wrist strain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://heartdisease.about.com/...iacrisk/a/NSAIDS.htm

milesenoell

Jun 15, 2008, 4:31 PM
Post #7 of 11 (4650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Wrist strain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I checked out the linked article and a couple linked to it, and it looks to me like NSAID's do have an increased cardiac risk (avg. 12% increased risk), but that the COX-2 subgroup of NSAID's (eg: Vioxx and Celebrex) was the main issue as they could elevate your cardiac risk by roughly four times the level of the regular NSAID's (and Naproxen sodium was specifically being used as a comparison because they were trying to show how COX-2 drugs don't upset the stomach like Naproxen does.)

No Vioxx or Celebrex for me thanks. Naproxen agrees with my stomach and lets me work, climb, sleep and then get up and do it again.

IclimbNAKED

Jun 29, 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #8 of 11 (4156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just an idea to stabilize your wrist: buy a wrist-guard (like you'd use for rollerblading or biking) that fits snug and wear it when you sleep. I did this when I was younger as I used to injur my wrists on falls snowboarding. I used the guard to stabilize my wrist while I slept on it. I realize your injury isn't the same type as my snowboarding ones were; however, it probably isn't a bad idea to stabilize your wrist when sleeping, especially because wrists can be twisted into weird positions during sleep. Just be sure not to get the guard too tight and cut off circulation to your handUnimpressed.

(This post was edited by IclimbNAKED on Jun 29, 2008, 8:53 PM)

milesenoell

Jun 30, 2008, 7:06 AM
Post #9 of 11 (4136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IclimbNAKED] Wrist strain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good call, mornings are often the worst, so I expect I don't do nice things to my wrist in my sleep.

h4lf_rope

Aug 7, 2008, 2:08 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After two months in a brace I tried climbing again without success. I saw an orthopedist who disagreed with the radiologist's interpretation of my x-ray--the lunate isn't properly aligned and I might have strained/ruptured the ligaments between the proximal bones. The MRI is today.

This sucks.

h4lf_rope

Sep 12, 2008, 4:16 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been three months, but I'm back to climbing with my orthopedist's approval. I'm very cautious about using my left hand, but at least I can load it without pain. The wrist brace is a pain in the butt, though I'm looking at this as a great opportunity for me to develop my feet.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook