RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

shortfatoldguy

Nov 9, 2002, 1:25 AM
Post #1 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Protecting laybacks?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Been leading for about a year and a half, a little sport but mostly trad, up to 5.8.

So how do you cope with protecting laybacks? Clearly, every one is a bit different, but are there fundamental principles? The few that I've done I've mostly scampered up as quickly as possible without fiddling with too much pro. But that's not an option on more sustained pitches. So what's the SOP?

pbjosh

Nov 9, 2002, 1:31 AM
Post #2 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Protecting laybacks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Generally, look for some feet - be they in the crack, or on the face (or in a dihedral, on both faces). Stemming is a good way to do it. Say you're liebacking and you find a good footjam sized pod or good face foot, you could gaston with your inside hand and put your inside foot in the crack and then try to pull yourself in a little to look into the crack to place gear, but a stem would be a better option. Or if there's a nice hand or finger jam you can hang it and spin your body around in front of the crack to see into it to place gear.

Granted, these aren't always options. Sometimes you place gear by feel. When doing this, try to place gear generously 'cause you can't be certain of each piece!

josh

tanner

Nov 9, 2002, 1:38 AM
Post #3 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go by feel of the crack and then Just fire a cam in and hope i don't fall

jmlangford

Nov 9, 2002, 1:53 AM
Post #4 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Protect liebacks? Who needs protection on liebacks?

Partner phylp

Nov 9, 2002, 2:45 AM
Post #5 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never place gear in liebacks by "feel". I try to make sure my feet are set very well and then I rock in, eyeball the crack to make a guess at the pro, relax back into the lieback position, get the gear ready in that position, pull back in and place (hopefully right on the size on the first try), relax back out, get the rope up, rock back in and clip. Sounds like a lot when you write it but it goes fast with practice. The skill that help best with this is having your "crack eye" working really well, so you choose the right piece first try and don't have to fiddle.

flamer

Nov 10, 2002, 2:26 AM
Post #6 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try placing gear at about waist level, instead of above you. It's easier!

apollodorus

Nov 10, 2002, 3:13 AM
Post #7 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stick cams that are only 1/4 to 1/2 retracted. You're sticking them with the stems/cables standing straight out, right? That way, if you fall on them and they rotate, they don't get fixed.

You can also commit to the pitch, and run it out. Hopefully, you'll find the rests mentioned above and can stick pro.

stevematthys

Nov 10, 2002, 5:58 PM
Post #8 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was under the impression that you always want to place a cam so that the stem is facing in the direction of a fall.......

Partner camhead

Nov 10, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #9 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sometimes you just have to go for it and trust your pieces. Place a cam blindly, give it as much of a tug test as you can, and then go for it.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=6784

micronut

Nov 11, 2002, 4:28 AM
Post #10 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These guys said it all, pay close attention to and get feet, go by feel,(then eye when you can), place low, asses the fall and gear, and go. Those are my four tricks.

A classic lieback where I had to "feel " gear, EL CAMINO REAL, Taquitz

mountainmonkey

Nov 12, 2002, 4:50 PM
Post #11 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is easiest to hang on a jam to get gear in. This isn't always practical, but it puts you right in front of the crack to put in good gear. Also, plan ahead.

pbjosh

Nov 12, 2002, 5:28 PM
Post #12 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

El Camino is a decent "place by feel" kinda of crack. But it's got insanely bomber gear and it's easy to place by feel then lean over and take a quick peak to make sure. There are also some stances on it - probably 1/2 my placements on it were from good stances. Did you find any no hands stems in the middle of the pitch? I did

Re: Coyne. Nice lead camhead! Definitely a more reasonable "place by feel" given it's uniformity. A friend of mine just redpointed it (way too hard for me, I'm stoked with 11-, it'll be a LONG time till 12- trad starts happening) and managed the whole thing jamming straight in, fwiw. But he's just really into that as well

josh

murf

Nov 12, 2002, 6:43 PM
Post #13 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Re:Re: Coyne - the protect by feel ( if you do it that way ) section is so close to the ground that the belayer can give you a complete heads up on the piece(s). That parts just powerful, the offset #1 Camelot section ...shudder.

Murf

[ This Message was edited by: murf on 2002-11-12 10:44 ]

coclimber26

Nov 24, 2002, 7:20 PM
Post #14 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first trad layback was reggae at eldorado. I placed some pro before the flake then stated walking up it..Half way up i felt the need for pro so I plugged a cam in...My one arm got so pumped from placing the cam that if the route was any longer I would have fallen...I need to practice placing pro aswell..

mountainmonkey

Nov 25, 2002, 4:52 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, it would really help you guys to learn some good crack jamming technique.

Both Coyne Crack and Reggae are easy to jam and hang in front of the crack and place pro. Coyne is fingers at the start then ring locks. Reggae is ring locks/ big fingers. It might be most efficient to move up with a little layback technique, but it is easy to jam and relax while you place pro. On a jam you rely more on you skeletal structure to hold you up which is easier than to rely on your muscles because you will pump out constantly flexing to hold your self up.

murf

Nov 25, 2002, 5:09 PM
Post #16 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Monkey,

It would really help for you to learn that IC crack climbing is about more than just "technique".. size matters.

Murf

mountainmonkey

Nov 25, 2002, 6:20 PM
Post #17 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh yes. IC is one of the few places where I will fully admit that size does matter.

When I am there, I work on the sizes that I am not good at: thin hands, ring locks/finger stacking, big hands/fists ....

The point I was trying to make is that you can jam on all the sizes with good technique.

I have big hands. Coyne Crack is hard for me because it is so thin - I get the first good hand jam just below the anchors - this is also why I like it. I jam the whole thing and use a slight layback to move up then I jam to rest or place gear. I also wear a loose pair of Mythos to sink my pinky toes into the crack.

I consider IC of more a practice place than a fun craggin place - however I love it because I do have so much fun there - go figure. I work on my bad sizes, no my good ones. There is no better place than Indian Creek to learn good jamming technique for ALL sizes.

murf

Nov 25, 2002, 6:44 PM
Post #18 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MM - fair enough, I agree that jamming CC is the way you can do it if you can. I still shudder at the offset #1 Camelots ( not just small but offset! ).

In any case, CC is a lousy example of protecting layback, because as I mentioned before, your belayer can see the pieces. Also, its not like the placements vary.

Murf

texplorer

Nov 26, 2002, 8:42 PM
Post #19 of 19 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some posters have been advising you to just climb and plug while liebacking. I did this last spring at Indian creek and took a nice ride when one of my pieces popped.
My recommendation is to learn to crack climb. Not to be insolent but liebacking is how sport climbers climb cracks. If you learn to jam cracks you'll always be able to see those placements better and be able to climb a wider variety of climbs.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook