RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

dogie213j

Nov 13, 2002, 2:51 AM
Post #1 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Worst fall lead climbing!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'm 14 and my worst fall lead climbing has been a 23 ft. fall. I bruised my whole heel and rope burn all up my leg!

dashingleech

Nov 13, 2002, 3:28 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Worst fall lead climbing! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't done outdoor lead yet, just TR. My worst indoor lead was probably back when I took a lead course. We had to intentionally drop from the top of the climb (about 6' above the last clip) and the instructor hauled out about 15' of slack, so the total fall was about 27', or most of the wall (40'). I didn't lean back far enough and my toes caught some rocks on the way down. No injury, but a good lesson.

By the way, it is a lot harder to fall that far intentionally than by accident.

kmae

Nov 13, 2002, 3:33 AM
Post #3 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yikes, that a big fall anywhere, even in a gym. I'm not sure these gyms are doing us a service by making people take such big falls.

gunked

Nov 13, 2002, 3:41 AM
Post #4 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dashingleech,
next time offer to hold the instructor's rope while he's leading. Wait till he's making the last clip before the chains, and.........accidentally.........fall on your ass while on belay. Oops, bad timing!
Your instructor is an ASShole for pulling a stunt like that during a class at a gym. I don't care what the circumstances are. You were lucky not to get hurt!

Just my opinion!
Jason

coolclimber

Nov 13, 2002, 3:55 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this guy that took a 30 foot fall in colarado. He was leading this really hard line and one of the bolts were missing so he climbed it anyways and fell and almost hit the deck.

phil_nev

Nov 13, 2002, 3:55 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the lead course at my gym we had to take a small lead fall to pass. Nothing that big though. Although, the gym does make for good falling practice, skip a few clips then let go, nice controled environment....
Ur instructor is an ass for making you do that big a fall when ur learning....

climbinggirl33

Nov 13, 2002, 4:05 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly my worse lead fall was my first (and actually my last) on a sports climb. I didn't see it coming so didn't have that "oh ^$#!*@*& I'm gonna fall" response - but still whipped down 15-20'.

I tore my hand up a bit and didn't try another lead that day (although I did make myself redo the climb, and TR a few more). . . just tried my first lead post fall last weekend and was wigging out on a 5.7" . . . gotta work on that! Too bad the cold weather is here and I may not get out until next season.

djmicro

Nov 13, 2002, 5:49 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That big a fall is an unnessecary risk. I also had to learn how to fall (wich is good by the way), but you start small and go bigger. After your first intentional fall you should feel better about your accidental falls. You should never get cocky and push your falls to far. A guy did that at my local gym last week and got seriously injured.

rippedmonkeyfuel

Nov 13, 2002, 6:37 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My worst fall was at Hangar 18. I was lead climbing a climb that partially went on the ceiling and was above the bouldering wall. As I went for the last hold before the top my hands slipped and I fell. For some reaosn the Gri-Gri failed and didn't lock off so i fell 25 ft and my brother (who was the belayer) gave himself rope burn by manually gripping the rope. It finally locked off right and I Bam!! hit the bouldering wall. I'm just glad my belayer was my brother and not someone else because I could've hit that bouldering wall a lot harder.

-Kevin Palmer

wildtrail

Nov 13, 2002, 7:49 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 25-30. Bruised both knees and sprained both wrists on impact. At least I didn't crack my dome, which I have done on a lesser fall.

Steve

petzl510

Nov 14, 2002, 7:06 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly when i was 14 i took a 35 foot fall. and let me tell i was bruised in many places. The worst fall will be when you deck out. Not if you deck out. There will be a time when you do deck and it will hurt.

boardcrazzy

Nov 14, 2002, 8:28 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a 25' fall in a gym in California. I think it is the one that the pictures in John Long's, "Gym Climb" are taken in. I was hanging on to a bomber hold while clipping and my grip just failed. My belayer gave me too much slack when he saw me miss the clip the first time because he thought I didn't have enough rope.

kevlar

Nov 17, 2002, 9:37 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow....so many good falls from so high up...my best fall...was local..unroped when I fell off the sidewalk curb an twisted my ankle...took me weeks to get back on the real rock...now i consider going roped when i walk the dog...or is it when the dog walks me...i forget...best climbing to all...
15 footer for me...with skinned elbow an bruised ego...but climbing is a challenge and something to enjoy...be safe

ccraig

Nov 20, 2002, 4:18 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a 40 foot fall on a trad lead at Lost Wall, Georgia on November 18th. The wall was all vertical, so I did'nt nail any ledges. When the rope pulled tight, it slammed me laterally into the wall brusing my hip and shoulder. I was about 18 feet above my last cam. (a rock empire #3) I did'nt plan on running it out that far, but the crack was hard climbing with a nice ledge above to place my next pro. The problem was, the rock was wet sandstone on the ledge, and I slipped totally surprised (and horrified) without warning. I'm thinking there won't be a next time for that much runout.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook