Forums: Climbing Information: Events & Gatherings:
Sunday 14th - rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Dec 1, 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #1 of 94 (20832 views)
Shortcut

Sunday 14th - rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Aha!
Another grande scheme by teh haggiz.

Rockclimbing.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!!!!
someone brings a keg, Some bourbon, and some scotch (for after the climbing) and a day of slabtacular tradisfaction is had in the perfect winter t-shirt destination of the east!

Anyone game? Is there a campsite near by? Thoughts?

[the management of rockclimbing.com accept no responsibility for events or gatherings that take the rockclimbing.com name as a skewed way of adding respectability to a stupid daydream]

(This post was edited by sungam on Dec 12, 2008, 6:34 PM)

limeydave

Dec 1, 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #2 of 94 (20796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Aha!

someone brings a keg, Some bourbon, and some scotch (for after the climbing) and a day of slabtacular tradisfaction is had in the perfect winter t-shirt destination of the east!

[the management of rockclimbing.com accept no responsibility for events or gatherings that take the rockclimbing.com name as a skewed way of adding respectability to a stupid daydream]

Yes - depending on the date of course.
I would say this would be a good venue for the Johnny Dawes Appreciation Day.

No handed slab bouldering, talking in a silly accent, slacklining etc

sungam

Dec 2, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #3 of 94 (20789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes Yes YES!!
Are there boulders about the place, too?
Don't forget tEh death leadz!

limeydave

Dec 2, 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #4 of 94 (20784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
yes Yes YES!!
Are there boulders about the place, too?
Don't forget tEh death leadz!

si senor

http://www.0friction.com/thumbs.php?area_id=80

rsmillbern

Dec 2, 2008, 12:17 AM
Post #5 of 94 (20767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes Yes YES!!

I love Stone and will be back in NC tomorrow night.

Maybe this weekend or next??

I'll even pick you up Magnus

rsmillbern

Dec 2, 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #6 of 94 (20765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Magnus, what do you think about Laurel Knob in mid January??

rsmillbern

Dec 2, 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #7 of 94 (20761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsmillbern] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, there is camping and usually hot showers in the Park, or, maybe, possibly, talk someone in Winston-Salem into providing a place to drop...

sungam

Dec 2, 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #8 of 94 (20756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsmillbern] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno about climbing at luarel knob, never been there.
Where ever is best. Best = runout slabs, no-hands friction slab boulders, lots of dynos, and space to drinks tEh fuzzy-vision joose.
It is Johnny Dawes day, after all.

sungam

Dec 2, 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #9 of 94 (20753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PS are you the guy I climbed OH HO with?

knieveltech

Dec 2, 2008, 1:38 AM
Post #10 of 94 (20707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Aha!

Uh, pick a crag that doesn't involve a bunch of vile slab nonsense and you might have something. Just sayin.

sungam

Dec 2, 2008, 1:51 AM
Post #11 of 94 (20699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
Aha!

Uh, pick a crag that doesn't involve a bunch of vile slab nonsense and you might have something. Just sayin.
But it's Johnny Dawes day, and slabs are what Johnny Dawes is about.
Check the photos, there are steep problems as well.

carbonrx8

Dec 2, 2008, 1:56 AM
Post #12 of 94 (20693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will be passing through around xmas (destination WNC) and just after the first of the year (destination ENC). If you are around, I will bring the beer and gear. If not, have fun with the 200' runouts (or what ever those crazy, slab-happy NC'ers are up to now.)

notapplicable

Dec 2, 2008, 2:06 AM
Post #13 of 94 (20680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Magnus, camping in the park is is rediculously expensive, $15.00 a night, so I would recommend the climbers camping, for I think $5.00 a night, that is near the entrance to the park. I have never stayed there so I don't know if its seasonal only or exactly where its at but I'm sure a bunch of people on here do.

notapplicable

Dec 2, 2008, 2:09 AM
Post #14 of 94 (20671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
Aha!

Bouldering (or doing anything other than turning your hair white) at Stone is kind of like diddling yourself in a whore house? Just sayin.

You'll see what I mean.

sungam

Dec 2, 2008, 2:24 AM
Post #15 of 94 (20644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
sungam wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
Aha!

Bouldering (or doing anything other than turning your hair white) at Stone is kind of like diddling yourself in a whore house? Just sayin.

You'll see what I mean.
I think I will.

xtremst80

Dec 2, 2008, 2:33 AM
Post #16 of 94 (20640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Aha!

Im In, when are we talking about?

knieveltech

Dec 2, 2008, 3:25 AM
Post #17 of 94 (20611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
Aha!

One route (entrance crack) isn't enough bait to convince me that crag's worth the drive. I don't like slab.

notapplicable

Dec 2, 2008, 5:03 AM
Post #18 of 94 (20584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
Aha!

One route (entrance crack) isn't enough bait to convince me that crag's worth the drive. I don't like slab.

Oh god, if you've lead entrance crack then I don't blame you for hating that place. Entrance crack is a polished, sandbagged, POS without a single redeeming feature. I would, in all seriousness, solo U-slot or Dirty Crack before I would even consider leading that thing again.

Hmmmmm, actually I should have kept that thought to myself. We could have totally sandbagged Magnus on that one. Thats OK, I know a few money pitches with his name on themDevil

limeydave

Dec 2, 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #19 of 94 (20550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We need all around entertainment.
Sure, we can scare the crap out of ourselves during the day, but we'll need headlamp bouldering, a campfire, a slackline (never tried it) and a laptop and projector for the watching of the Stone Monkey on the big screen slab face.

Someone needs to invite Mr Dawes too.
email him and tell him he needs to bring the duty free whiskey.

Partner j_ung

Dec 2, 2008, 3:50 PM
Post #20 of 94 (20544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
Aha!

OMFG, you loser. Tongue Entrance crack is only the single worst route at the place. The two best (for Stone Mtn newbies) are Fleet Feet and Fantastic. Both have all the real fun in the first pitch. Both have anchors you can rap from. Both are well protected by any standards, not just Stone Mtn's. Both have actual handholds.

I might be in for this. Depends on the day. Sunday would work best, and the weather report must be PIMP, or I'm not driving all the way down for it. Waaaah!

rsmillbern

Dec 2, 2008, 4:13 PM
Post #21 of 94 (20523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
PS are you the guy I climbed OH HO with?

yes I am, I think, no yes I am for sure...

got some pictures still

rsmillbern

Dec 2, 2008, 4:15 PM
Post #22 of 94 (20519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
sungam wrote:
Aha!

OMFG, you loser. Tongue Entrance crack is only the single worst route at the place. The two best (for Stone Mtn newbies) are Fleet Feet and Fantastic. Both have all the real fun in the first pitch. Both have anchors you can rap from. Both are well protected by any standards, not just Stone Mtn's. Both have actual handholds.

I might be in for this. Depends on the day. Sunday would work best, and the weather report must be PIMP, or I'm not driving all the way down for it. Waaaah!

I have to agree, Entrance Crack is really Entrance Crap..

But you forgot the Pulpit for well protected routes....

rsmillbern

Dec 2, 2008, 4:16 PM
Post #23 of 94 (20516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I dunno about climbing at luarel knob, never been there.
Where ever is best. Best = runout slabs, no-hands friction slab boulders, lots of dynos, and space to drinks tEh fuzzy-vision joose.
It is Johnny Dawes day, after all.

Larel Knob is a little like stone, but about twice as tall... the drive is a little further and the hike in is a little further, but there are generally less crowds.

Partner j_ung

Dec 2, 2008, 4:43 PM
Post #24 of 94 (20499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bloody hell! How'd I forget the Pulpit?

limeydave

Dec 2, 2008, 6:10 PM
Post #25 of 94 (20479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] rc.com takes stone mountain by storm!!!! (Anyone interested?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dry but cold (high = 40) this weekend.

My next available weekend is in January.. Frown

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook