RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Yosemite1976

Jan 17, 2009, 1:17 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Seneca Rocks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looks like I will be in West Virgina last week of Febuary and fist week of March . Dose any one know if Seneca is Climbable that time of year? It will be my first visit to the area, and I would hate to pass up an opportunity to climb there .

(This post was edited by Yosemite1976 on Jan 17, 2009, 1:18 PM)

naitch

Jan 17, 2009, 2:01 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Yosemite1976] Seneca Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends upon how cold it is and your tolerance for cold. The weather is so variable. However, even on a cold day if it's sunny with no wind, climbing on the east side or south end can be down right enjoyable and almost T-shirt or long sleeve weather while climbing. If it's really cold, cloudy and or rainy/snowy, forget it. I would say that it's hard to tell until the week of and you have a better idea of what it's going to be like.

Yosemite1976

Jan 17, 2009, 3:59 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] Seneca Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Naitch ~ Thanks for the info I also got tons of info from the Routes section here at R.C But one thing I am still not clear on . Is weather Seneca has a snow pac on the ground during the winter months ? I would not mind going out and climbing on a cool day say 40 or 45 degrees outside, but If I had to slog through two feet of wet snow on the approach I might not be so willing .

munky

Jan 17, 2009, 4:20 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be extremely rare to have snow pack then.

pbnjonny

Jan 18, 2009, 1:07 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

like Naitch said, the weather at Seneca is hard to predict. I don't know when the official start of the season is for them, but if the shops and climbing school are open, I'd call them and ask how the weather is looking. Theres been quite a few times weather.com or other sites have called for rain or snow and its been absolutely beautiful at Seneca. this also works the other way too though.

hyhuu

Jan 19, 2009, 4:16 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Typically Seneca doesn't get a lot of snow as the high ridges nearby (Dolly Sod & Spruce Knob) tend to collect the moisture first. It's the wind that can make it real chilly on the West side. If the temperature with reasonable with minimal wind and sunny, you should be able to get some climbing in. It's hit or miss. Good luck.

Yosemite1976 wrote:
Naitch ~ Thanks for the info I also got tons of info from the Routes section here at R.C But one thing I am still not clear on . Is weather Seneca has a snow pac on the ground during the winter months ? I would not mind going out and climbing on a cool day say 40 or 45 degrees outside, but If I had to slog through two feet of wet snow on the approach I might not be so willing .

Yosemite1976

Jan 19, 2009, 4:57 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Seneca Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Note to self ~ pack wind gear, and keep driving south to North Carolina ( Laurel knob) if West vrginia is to cold .

nthusiastj

Jan 19, 2009, 5:03 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a useful tool.
http://www.senecarocks.com/webcam.html

markc

Jan 19, 2009, 5:16 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yosemite1976 wrote:
Note to self ~ pack wind gear, and keep driving south to North Carolina ( Laurel knob) if West vrginia is to cold .

Good idea. I never go to Seneca without a wind/waterproof layer. As others have said, it's the unpredictability that you have to deal with. Early and late-season trips can be a great way to beat crowds, but you have to be flexible.

For cold days, I've usually started climbing mid-morning, and I try to follow the sun. Target routes on the east side early in the day, then shift to the west face in the afternoon. I'd suggest keeping an eye on the time and carrying a headlamp, because getting benighted at that time of year would not be a great deal of fun. What are you looking to climb?

Yosemite1976

Jan 20, 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #10 of 13 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Seneca Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mostly looking to just get an early start to the rock climbing season after all this cold and snow up north. I am getting a bad case of cabin fever. I have to be back up in Alaska by the second week of March and there certainly wont be any rock climbing going on up there that time of year.

Seneca has always been on my to do list ever sense I read an article in Off Belay magazine, back in the early seventy's about the place . Even though it was all in black and white photos I could tell it was special. I would love to sit on top of that pinnacle and enjoy the view .

charley

Jan 20, 2009, 4:54 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For sure the wind is the problem. I have been there in mid march, I think, and thanksgiving. 50 is nice without the wind but pretty cold if windy. I know folks who have climbed there in the winter months but they dress for it. As said before, it can be iffy and the new river gorge sometimes is warmer and nc. isn't that far away. I would think if you can lead 5.8 trad, three pitches of 5.3 like old mans and a scramble to the summit could be done quickly. I hope it works for you.

markc

Jan 20, 2009, 7:15 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Seneca Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
For sure the wind is the problem. I have been there in mid march, I think, and thanksgiving. 50 is nice without the wind but pretty cold if windy. I know folks who have climbed there in the winter months but they dress for it. As said before, it can be iffy and the new river gorge sometimes is warmer and nc. isn't that far away. I would think if you can lead 5.8 trad, three pitches of 5.3 like old mans and a scramble to the summit could be done quickly. I hope it works for you.

Your post brought back memories of a late-season trip as a party of three. We climbed Gunsight to South Peak, and I ended up being the last person to climb out of the notch. What is a cooling breeze in the middle of summer cuts right through you in November. I sometimes enjoy climbing in a party of three, but that was a mix of bad timing and route selection.

cragmasterp

Jan 20, 2009, 7:18 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most likely it will be cold and wintery @ that time of year. However, there are many moderate routes to the summit, so you could still be sitting on top of the summit even in winter conditions. I have certainly climbed there in sub-freezing temps and blowing snow.

Check whitegrass.com for the most up to date and unbiased weather info for the area. This website is the apogee of Appalachian mountain culture.

If it is cold and wintery, head to Whitegrass for some XC or Tele skiing, and a great cafe & people. Whitegrass is about 30 min. north of Seneca. Conditions generally will be more wintery @ whitegrass as it is higher in elevation.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook