Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

xclimber47

Jan 21, 2009, 2:18 AM
Post #1 of 59 (8270 views)
Shortcut

Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone,

I'm an industrial design major (no we don't design factories, we design any and all products - the creative/aesthetic side largely) but the point is I am in my final semester and need to come up with a thesis idea. I would like to do some sort of climbing equipment or at the least, camping equipment, but I haven't come up with an idea. I haven't dedicated a lot of time to it yet, but my first thought was perhaps something to help with the confusion at multipitch anchors and rope/haul bag management. Just a thought though and I'm still open to any and all ideas, sooo....

Does anyone have any ideas for something that could be redesigned or something that frustrates the hell out of you that makes you think, 'there must be a better way?' I know 80% of the responses will be jokes, but any serious ideas would be greatly appreciated

rockforlife

Jan 21, 2009, 2:20 AM
Post #2 of 59 (8263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xclimber47] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you searched yet.
????

Edit: how about a noob filter for rc.com, kind of climbing related

(This post was edited by rockforlife on Jan 21, 2009, 2:23 AM)

slavetogravity

Jan 21, 2009, 2:44 AM
Post #3 of 59 (8243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

build me a harness with 5 gear loops.

The one on the left for draws, the one on the right for large trad gear, cams etc. One loop in the front for nuts, Two in the back for everyting else. Then make then in different sizes to accomidate their designated use.
Nuts= very small loop. Cams & Gear= very large loop. Draws= large loop. Everything else = two mid sized loop for the back.

Thati is all.
Aaron.

curt

Jan 21, 2009, 3:08 AM
Post #4 of 59 (8223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slavetogravity] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

slavetogravity wrote:

The one on the left for draws, the one on the right for large trad gear, cams etc. One loop in the front for nuts, Two in the back for everyting else. Then make then in different sizes to accomidate their designated use.
Nuts= very small loop. Cams & Gear= very large loop. Draws= large loop. Everything else = two mid sized loop for the back.

Thati is all.
Aaron.

If I were endowed like a squirrel, I doubt I'd be secure enough to broadcast it on the internet. Cool

Curt

slavetogravity

Jan 21, 2009, 5:50 AM
Post #5 of 59 (8175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
slavetogravity wrote:

Thati is all.
Aaron.

If I were endowed like a squirrel, I doubt I'd be secure enough to broadcast it on the internet. Cool

Curt

Oh SNAP! a double entendre rock climbing nut reference....

Serious though, my nuts are very small.

majid_sabet

Jan 21, 2009, 6:53 AM
Post #6 of 59 (8160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You went to school to learn how to design and now you are here asking bunch of people who probably do not have all the engineering degree to help you to come with a "Product Thesis idea"

Not to be hard on you but what type of sh*t did you smoke in college?

Partner epoch

Jan 21, 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #7 of 59 (8129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
You went to school to learn how to design and now you are here asking bunch of people who probably do not have all the engineering degree to help you to come with a "Product Thesis idea"

Not to be hard on you but what type of sh*t did you smoke in college?

Majid have you looked into this lately?

bozher

Jan 21, 2009, 1:09 PM
Post #8 of 59 (8113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Edit: how about a noob filter for rc.com, kind of climbing related
A noob filter? How about a dick head filter! Shocked

(no offense)

colatownkid

Jan 21, 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #9 of 59 (8108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xclimber47 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm an industrial design major (no we don't design factories, we design any and all products - the creative/aesthetic side largely) but the point is I am in my final semester and need to come up with a thesis idea. I would like to do some sort of climbing equipment or at the least, camping equipment, but I haven't come up with an idea. I haven't dedicated a lot of time to it yet, but my first thought was perhaps something to help with the confusion at multipitch anchors and rope/haul bag management. Just a thought though and I'm still open to any and all ideas, sooo....

Does anyone have any ideas for something that could be redesigned or something that frustrates the hell out of you that makes you think, 'there must be a better way?' I know 80% of the responses will be jokes, but any serious ideas would be greatly appreciated

so...this is gonna sound like an asshole response, but i'm totally serious: come up with the next revolution in protection. design the piece of gear that will fit a constriction, a parallel crack, a flare, a pod, a slot, a micro-sized seam in a slab, and a hole (did i forget anything?). make it super lightweight. also, make it really easy and fast to place and super-affordable. if you can come up with one of those that works, i guarantee you'll have a job when you graduate (even if you have to work for yourself.)

granite_grrl

Jan 21, 2009, 3:56 PM
Post #10 of 59 (8082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
You'd be surprized by how many people on here actually do have the engineering degree. Not that we're actually able to help him. I mean, if we actually had some good ideas for new gear, you think we'd still be at our day jobs tapping away on on RC.noob?

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #11 of 59 (8066 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slavetogravity wrote:

Thati is all.
Aaron.

Not to throw a spanner in the works or anything, and despite your genuinely helpful response, but I wouldn't buy this personally. I like to have some equalization on both sides of the harness so that draws, nuts, cams, etc are somewhat easily accessed by both hands. Same-size loops all around is vital for that.

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2009, 4:27 PM
Post #12 of 59 (8064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I mean, if we actually had some good ideas for new gear, you think we'd still be at our day jobs tapping away on on RC.noob?

Be honest, even if did quit your day job, and even if you were making millions with your newest piece of gear, you'd still be on the knob for entertainment purposes.

implant

Jan 21, 2009, 4:35 PM
Post #13 of 59 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Um, here's an idea - unless this product already exists and i dont know about it.

make some type of ceramic (or whatever) box with heating coils inside of it that you can plug into your car's power supply thing that will heat up when it's plugged in. use it to warm your shoes up in the winter while youre on the way to the gym (or outside if youre one of those people)

im tired of warming my shoes up on the dashboard. the smell alone is reason enough to be annoying, sometimes they fall and land under my brake too.

(This post was edited by implant on Jan 21, 2009, 4:37 PM)

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2009, 4:40 PM
Post #14 of 59 (8049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [implant] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

implant wrote:
Um, here's an idea - unless this product already exists and i dont know about it.

make some type of ceramic (or whatever) box with heating coils inside of it that you can plug into your car's power supply thing that will heat up when it's plugged in. use it to warm your shoes up in the winter while youre on the way to the gym (or outside if youre one of those people)

im tired of warming my shoes up on the dashboard. the smell alone is reason enough to be annoying, sometimes they fall and land under my brake too.

Not a bad thought. I just stick mine under the passenger side heaters and turn the heat onto "feet."

Reusable hand warmers? Now that's something I'd get into.

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons

Jan 21, 2009, 5:15 PM
Post #15 of 59 (8023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember reading about a climber using duct tape for quicker access to gear while climb a really intense crack. What a bout a harness that uses standard gear loops but also some type of quick release mechanism for gear placement. Cutting down on the amount of lock off time needed when climbing difficult routes.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 21, 2009, 5:16 PM
Post #16 of 59 (8021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

- a silencer for jangling gear on gumby harnesses

- a retractable, ultra-extendable waaaay long miniature stick clip, so one can retrieve biners nestled deeply in crevasses and behind flakes like the one on Fote-Hog... It must reduce in size so small as to be carried on a harness, yet be strong enough when extended as to work.

And you will make bajillions(of pennies) from all the gumby's who SAY it's to booty lost booty, but really we know...no matter HOW much it's denied....that it's ultimate use will be that of an undercover stick clip for the ne'er to be outed weakmo(God have pity on their seconds who have to clean the stuff).

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2009, 5:20 PM
Post #17 of 59 (8018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
- a silencer for jangling gear on gumby harnesses

- a megaphone for my hexes Tongue

Gmburns2000

Jan 21, 2009, 5:21 PM
Post #18 of 59 (8016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons wrote:
I remember reading about a climber using duct tape for quicker access to gear while climb a really intense crack. What a bout a harness that uses standard gear loops but also some type of quick release mechanism for gear placement. Cutting down on the amount of lock off time needed when climbing difficult routes.

that would be interesting.

marc801

Jan 21, 2009, 5:30 PM
Post #19 of 59 (8011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons wrote:

that would be interesting.
Hardly a new idea. Both my J-rat (bought in the 80's) and Misty Mountain (bought early 90's) gear slings have several small velcro tabs for just that purpose.

k.l.k

Jan 21, 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #20 of 59 (8006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xclimber47 wrote:
Hey everyone,

This isn't a good site for that question. Go to ST. Make sure you've read Fish's website first.

xclimber47

Jan 21, 2009, 5:50 PM
Post #21 of 59 (7990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks everyone for the ideas that were legit. I expected the typical ridiculous responses, but relax majid..

I'm not asking for you to design the thing or have a degree in engineering. Its called brainstorming, I'm just trying to get something to work with. I'm not sure who would be better to come up with a useful idea for climbing equipment than climbers though. It wouldn't be much of a thesis project if I asked you to do the work.

How about this:
Anyone have complaints with portaledges? Hauling them and whatnot? Not sure this is a good route, black diamond kinda has it covered I think...

or

Perhaps a drill that would be more suited/easier to use for bolting?

wonderwoman

Jan 21, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #22 of 59 (7985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slavetogravity wrote:

He could be a real revolutionary and create a functional woman's harness that has as many gear loops as a man's harness. There aren't too many of those out there!

looserock

Jan 21, 2009, 5:58 PM
Post #23 of 59 (7981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've picked a hard topic to write a thesis about. If it was a long term project and you were open minded to start climbing, then it might be interesting. I've been studying the gear for some time now and it is very interesting. Almost all the good information you're going to need is in paper books you'll have to buy. The other thing, you'll have to buy a verity of climbing gear to note and measure - access to a good CMM a plus - because they don't tell exactly how their shit is made. (I would think a climbing gear thesis is more of a mechanical engineering project).

I would write a thesis on an industrial engineering subject that will help you when you get a job. materials, finishes, coatings, paint, adhesives, ect, & "how to fuckoff on Excel all the time doing time/waste studies and shit like that", ect.

(This post was edited by looserock on Jan 21, 2009, 6:00 PM)

nkane

Jan 21, 2009, 6:01 PM
Post #24 of 59 (7971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go look at John Long's "we need to test everything dynamically" thread.

Do a controlled study on how static loading differs from dynamic loading on anchor systems.

colatownkid

Jan 21, 2009, 6:43 PM
Post #25 of 59 (7954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Help - Climbing Product Thesis idea? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
slavetogravity wrote:

He could be a real revolutionary and create a functional woman's harness that has as many gear loops as a man's harness. There aren't too many of those out there!

that's actually a really good point. i was recently writing a purchase order for our outdoor program and women just get the shaft when it comes to harnesses. i can't imagine that the market for a 6-loop women's harness could really be that small. it's nuts. (i mean, hell, i'm a man and i'm getting indignant.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook