RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

grippedclimber

Nov 21, 2002, 2:43 AM
Post #1 of 3 (927 views)
Shortcut

ditching the harness for the evening?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I usually just undo my leg loops but am thinking of just using a sling for tying in at night. Any of you do this? Any neat ways of doing this I might not have thought of? Of course I always tie in to the rope and all that, just looking for some more comfort please.

passthepitonspete

Nov 21, 2002, 5:37 PM
Post #2 of 3 (927 views)
Shortcut

ditching the harness for the evening? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nearly a hundred hits, and no answer yet, eh?

I will answer this one because it is easy, however if you really want good answers, and you want them fast[er], you should Ask Dr. Piton.

[HINT]

At any rate, I never wear my harness at night. Once I have my ledge set up, I can't wait to get out of the damn thing!

I take my first daisy [now adjustable, but a traditional one will work fine] and girth hitch it round my waist.

Then I tie the girth hitch itself with a single overhand knot tied in what's left of the free end of my daisy, in order to secure the girth hitch so it will not open.

I tie the girth hitch tight enough so it won't slip over my snake-hips, but not so tightly as to feel tight on my waist.

Then I take my second daisy, and either girth hitch it to the end of the first on my waist, or secure it with a locker that won't open.

The end of this I secure with a locker to a shoulder-length sling that hangs from the master ledge suspension point locker, which is usually hanging from only a piece or two, but is backed up with a [usually] diagonal sling to the main Power Point.

I put an appropriate amount of slack into the system, usually just enough so that I can tuck the thing inside my sleeping bag.

I have never fallen off my ledge, and this is proved after one hundred and seventy nights on the Big Stone!

Were I on a sloping bivi ledge like Camp 4 of The Nose, I would surely wear my harness.

This, and other useful big wall tips on how to bivi and how to minimize your wank factor can be found by clicking here to read Help Dr Piton - It's Eating Me Alive!

You will be happy to know that I am currently working on producing an index to Dr. Piton stuff, as finding stuff is fundamental to using stuff.

apollodorus

Nov 23, 2002, 10:22 AM
Post #3 of 3 (927 views)
Shortcut

ditching the harness for the evening? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I take the harness off and then tie in with a simple bowline (sometimes, bowline on a coil) for the night.

The best photo of me, so far, is sleeping on the 18-inch wide Roundtable ledge on the Excalibur with the rope tied OUTSIDE the sleeping bag in a simple loop.

It was the best night's sleep I ever had.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook