RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

moeman

Nov 22, 2002, 2:09 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Why can't we all just get along?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've only been climbing a few months and I started with RC.com less than a month ago, but I already notice one much spray goes back and forth between Sport and Trad, Aid and Free, etc. Hell, we all like to climb and I don't see why people who climb a different way than they do. If you like to aid and I lke to free, why agrue over which is better. We each do what we like- why fight over whose way is better? i especially see fighting between Sport and Trad. Its getting rediculous- they never stop sqaubbling. Do bolts reall get in the way of trad climbers- NO. Lets just be civil- the sport of climbing will be better off that way. Climbers are generally a friendly group of people. Lets keep it that way.

offwidth

Nov 22, 2002, 2:22 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Why can't we all just get along? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Smells like...troll.

apollodorus

Nov 22, 2002, 2:26 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://home.pacbell.net/takasper/kungfu.gif

[ This Message was edited by: apollodorus on 2002-11-21 18:28 ]

flamer

Nov 22, 2002, 2:32 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love you man! I would like to point out that anytime one of you sport'o's wants to have a beer I'm in!But you're buying!

texastechclimber

Nov 22, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like it all! Sport, Trad, Bouldering, Free, who cares, as long as I'm climbing I am happy. I have never understood why so many climbers limit themselves to just a particular type of climbing.

Partner holdplease2

Dec 18, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm. I guess I don't understand why we limit ourselves to just one type of climbing.

However, I like trad way more than sport, simply because I am a gear addict, like to rattle, and need an excuse to avoid overhangs.

Here's the thing, though. When I climb trad, I want to be climbing trad. I don't like to get ready to pull a crux feet above gear, climbing the climb for the thrill/sake/game/whatever, of climbing it the way it was born, and there sits a shiney bolt. It %@#$s with my head.

Now, I don't want to say that those bolts havn't helped alot of people out of stickey situations, I am sure. But the whole point of Trad is that you have to use your judgement about the gear aspect.

If the climb is too run out for you, back down, stop climbing, jump, whatever. If the rock for the placment is a little to fragile for you to risk falling on, use your judgement.

Good judgement (gear, runout, rock quality) is the essence of Trad. Finding a bolt at the tough part, where the gear is sketch, whatever, really takes it down a notch for me.

I don't mind sport, sport areas, and infact like sport.

But who is it that makes the judgement that "it is just too run out here" or "this gear isn't quite good enough", lets put in a bolt.

Exceptions to every rule, I know. I just hope that Trad climbing dosn't move too far into the "mixed" arena because people want to eliminate judgement from the sport.

easysteve

Jan 6, 2003, 6:13 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the climb is fun, I'll do it, but usually, I just plug in my own gear because it doesn't take as long. Climbing's fun, drilling isn't.

socialclimber

Jan 8, 2003, 11:26 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's human nature to get a little high minded sometimes, think of it as another form of competition, but I'm sure the ethics, or lack there of in some peoples opinion, of our various codes is the main issue of contention.
Sporto's have been guilty of bolting perfectly protectable lines and rap bolting a line only to discover they can't put all the moves together - and I'm not talking about calling it a project and coming back in a few months, I'm talking about bolting an impossible crux
Traddies can be guilty of being bloody minded, preferring to run out an unprotectable stretch rather than put a bolt in it, adding alot more risk to what would otherwise be a really nice line for the average climber
Rock huggers, well rock huggers are from a whole different planet. Enough said.

scotia

Jan 8, 2003, 2:15 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All forms of climbing deserve respect. Period.

socialclimber

Jan 9, 2003, 9:27 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

holdplease2, the way I see it the route should stand the way the FA climbed it. If it's run out, it should stay runout. If it's mixed, so be it. I still think it's a crime to bolt protectable rock, fortunatly it doesn't happen often

theperfectdrugsk

Jan 9, 2003, 1:11 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like all kinds of climbing equally...and they all have their idividua high points and low points

on the issue of bolting...i dont lke the way it looks on the rock, but since we must, then we must

i guess you just win some and lose some...either way, tis all good with me

-tony

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook