RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

samb543

Mar 26, 2010, 2:21 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1190 views)
Shortcut

What is this pain???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, ive been climbing for about 3 months now and im experiencing some pain issues. Im a healthy 18 year old with no joint/muscle problems that i am aware of, but when i climb, my arms really pay the price. when doing strength moves such as lock outs, my arms feel fine. however, if i am to suddenly lose my grip in the middle of a lock out or even just let go quickly, i get a horribly sharp pain in my forearm and bicep. it only lasts for a fraction of a second and then its gone. does anybody know what this is or how i can work to prevent it in the future???

johnwesely

Mar 26, 2010, 2:38 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [samb543] What is this pain??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't do moves like that until your body can handle it, and make sure that you warm up properly. A common thread a see among new climbers is that they like to hop on the hard stuff right away without a proper warm up.

samb543

Mar 26, 2010, 3:35 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] What is this pain??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Don't do moves like that until your body can handle it, and make sure that you warm up properly. A common thread a see among new climbers is that they like to hop on the hard stuff right away without a proper warm up.

i really dont think warmups are the issue. in my gym, they use an R,I,A,O system to grade boulder problems, increasing in difficulty respectively. (Recreation, Intermediate, Advanced, Open) I always climb R1, R3, R5, R7, I1, and finally I2 for my warmup. then i move on to my current level, I8-A3. I'll try warming up longer today and see if it helps though!

johnwesely

Mar 26, 2010, 3:56 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know what those grades represent, but if you are just doing one of those problems each, it is not a great warmup. If I were you, which I am not, I would do laps on a juggy, slightly overhung boulder problem for at least fifteen minutes or so. Use the time to work on your technique.

samb543

Mar 26, 2010, 4:44 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] What is this pain??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
I don't know what those grades represent, but if you are just doing one of those problems each, it is not a great warmup. If I were you, which I am not, I would do laps on a juggy, slightly overhung boulder problem for at least fifteen minutes or so. Use the time to work on your technique.

R's are all juggy and I's bring in medium sized crimps, good pinches and slopers. are 7 problems that are all completable going only 30-45% not a good warm up? im fairly new to the sport, any tips on better warmups would be appreciated

johnwesely

Mar 26, 2010, 5:03 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

samb543 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

R's are all juggy and I's bring in medium sized crimps, good pinches and slopers. are 7 problems that are all completable going only 30-45% not a good warm up? im fairly new to the sport, any tips on better warmups would be appreciated

Boulder problems are short. 7 might equate to single sport route done with a hang at every bolt. Find something juggy and do laps on it until you can really feel the blood flowing in your forearms. After that do your normal warm up, and pay very close attention to the signals your body is sending. You may notice that this pain is happening on easier climbs to a lesser degree.

patmay81

Mar 26, 2010, 5:19 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

samb543 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

i really dont think warmups are the issue. in my gym, they use an R,I,A,O system to grade boulder problems, increasing in difficulty respectively. (Recreation, Intermediate, Advanced, Open) I always climb R1, R3, R5, R7, I1, and finally I2 for my warmup. then i move on to my current level, I8-A3. I'll try warming up longer today and see if it helps though!
this is a side note and not at all to the point, but I hate gyms (and climbing areas for that matter) that make up their own grading system. We already have dozens of widely used grading systems, and they are hard enough to keep track of.
How do you communicate when you cant relate to what people are climbing?

samb543

Mar 26, 2010, 5:56 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] What is this pain??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the warm-up tips

and i agree on the grading systemMad

davidnn5

Mar 27, 2010, 4:12 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traverses also make fine warm-ups, particularly if you need to work on your foot placement.

Re the grading system, I'm generally in favour of at least routes not being graded in the outdoors fashion. Why would you try to compare indoor climbing to outdoor? Quite often first-timers try and jump on their gym equivalent and find they don't compare. For boulders the comparison can be closer, but it depends on the quality of bouldering nearby (if every boulder around is 30 foot+ highball, and your gym has 10 foot problems, it's misleading to give them the same grade).

Edit: very aside comment and take it or leave it, but you might find it easier to spend your first 6-9 months route climbing then concentrate more and more on bouldering. You've gone straight to the hard stuff that's going to find ways to break your body - it's worth easing in.

(This post was edited by davidnn5 on Mar 27, 2010, 4:17 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook