RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

leapinlizard

Aug 7, 2010, 7:26 AM
Post #1 of 5 (4412 views)
Shortcut

sad
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/08/06/pakistan.ericsson.death/index.html?hpt=C1&wom=false#fbid=SyYcr3B_cEz

xtremst80

Aug 7, 2010, 9:56 AM
Post #2 of 5 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [leapinlizard] sad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Clicky http://edition.cnn.com/...lse#fbid=SyYcr3B_cEz

ClimbSoHigh

Aug 9, 2010, 6:25 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtremst80] sad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is sad how many people think he was an idiot or he deserved it. Shows the mentality of the CNN internet viewers. If they stepped back and realized the fast food they ate is more dangerous. Also this guy did more with his life on a monthly basis than most people do in their careers. On the flipside, I am kind of sick about people pretending it is OK, or a good thing, because "he died doing what he loved" Somehow I doubt he liked falling. If he died doing what he loved, it would have been from a heart atack, or brain embelism, as he skied into camp 4. I personally like climbing, not decking.

dynosore

Aug 10, 2010, 5:59 PM
Post #4 of 5 (4015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] sad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:
It is sad how many people think he was an idiot or he deserved it. Shows the mentality of the CNN internet viewers. If they stepped back and realized the fast food they ate is more dangerous. Also this guy did more with his life on a monthly basis than most people do in their careers. On the flipside, I am kind of sick about people pretending it is OK, or a good thing, because "he died doing what he loved" Somehow I doubt he liked falling. If he died doing what he loved, it would have been from a heart atack, or brain embelism, as he skied into camp 4. I personally like climbing, not decking.

I don't think he deserved it, good for him for chasing his dream. But saying that a big mac is as dangerous as skiing down K2?

My grandfather smoked filterless cigarettes his whole life and lived to 91. If he had tried to ski all the 8000m climbs I'm sure he wouldn't have made it to old age. K2 and the like represent extreme, immediate risk to those that climb it.

Condolences to the family.

ClimbSoHigh

Aug 16, 2010, 7:10 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] sad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, eating big macs daily is not as immediately dangerous as skiing K2, but what I was trying to say is that many people see climbing as ultra dangerous (and alpine climbs like K2 are in that category) when there are other things in life that are more so. I also know a few people that smoked cigarettes their whole life and died old with no smoking related issues. I also know a lot more that got cancer and died painfully over several years. I just get fed up when non climbers start spraying about how dangerous it is, yet don't think twice before getting in their car and flying down the highway (some with a big mac and cig in hand, driving with thier knees). Percentage wise, you are much more likely as an american to die from a poor diet, smoking, or driving a car, than the odds of a climber dying climbing. (climbing statistics are very fuzzy and I would not be supprised if alpine climbers do have a higher mortality rate, that stuff I agree is super dangerous, esp K2) Climbing has tought me to be thankful for every day I wake up, and to realize that everytime I tie in this could be my last. The thing is I also realize that every time I get in my car and turn the key, it could be my last. The truth is that I am much more likely to die in a car accident then a leader fall. (same would apply if I smoked or ate fast food daily) Most of society does not realize these dangers, but for some reason realize the dangers in climbing K2.

Obiously skiing down K2 is getting into the extreeme of the extreemes but I see this as an alpine climbing accident since he died on the accent not decent. Climbing K2 is very dangerous, way more than most other things you can do, and I agree with you that he was in the very extreem category who usually do not have long life expectancy. I do however think I would have a greater chance of reaching 92 years old having climbed K2 once in my life (and ski down) than smoking unfilters for the next 66 years. All I am saying is that most people do some dangrous things like drive, eat fast food, and smoke without thinking about how dangerous it is since it is not an immidate peril.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook