RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Yondergrass

Feb 16, 2012, 2:18 AM
Post #1 of 23 (11960 views)
Shortcut

Anthropology student doing project on climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys. I am an Anthropology student at UNT conducting research on the rock climbing culture. I am planning on observing and participating in the general, bouldering, and US-South forums for the next 2 weeks or so. I've been climbing for about 3 years now and really feel like the culture rock climbing has developed over the past two decades or so stands out from all other subcultures/countercultures I have encoutered. This is my first exdperience in online forums and am psyched to get this going.

donwanadi

Feb 16, 2012, 2:29 AM
Post #2 of 23 (11955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Yondergrass] Anthropology student doing project on climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What!? No survey you want everyone to take? That would be original....

Welcome to the forum. Posting in one section will generally suffice.

wonderwoman

Feb 16, 2012, 2:52 AM
Post #3 of 23 (11934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome! And please only post 1 post per topic. Your other 2 were recycled.

JAB

Feb 16, 2012, 2:16 PM
Post #4 of 23 (11874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yondergrass wrote:
Hey guys. I am an Anthropology student at UNT conducting research on the rock climbing culture. I am planning on observing and participating in the general, bouldering, and US-South forums for the next 2 weeks or so. I've been climbing for about 3 years now and really feel like the culture rock climbing has developed over the past two decades or so stands out from all other subcultures/countercultures I have encoutered. This is my first exdperience in online forums and am psyched to get this going.

Subculture? Rock climbing is going full steam towards mainstream, when even regular newspapers write about offwidth climbing! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...h-national-park.html

(This post was edited by JAB on Feb 16, 2012, 2:16 PM)

Partner camhead

Feb 16, 2012, 3:01 PM
Post #5 of 23 (11850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, for a more accurate view of climbers' culture, I shudder at you trying to use this website as data. As far as climbing websites go, rockclimbing.com has the most beginners, the worst management, and in my opinion is the least representative of any sort of culture, other than general anonymous internet board culture.

For a general feel of climbing culture, http://mountainproject.com is a way better place to hang out. For southern climbing, check out http://redriverclimbing.com. For anachronistic has-beens/never-weres in reliving their glory days in California, check out http://supertopo.com.

USnavy

Feb 16, 2012, 3:33 PM
Post #6 of 23 (11837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Anthropology student doing project on climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Hey, for a more accurate view of climbers' culture, I shudder at you trying to use this website as data. .
I agree, and anyway, no reputable college would ever allow someone to use a forum as a reference for a research paper, that's ludicrous. Most colleges don't even want you to use the Internet for a research paper unless your reference comes from a .mil, .gov, or .edu site or something like Google Scholar or a digital library. Most colleges want their students to use peer reviewed published documents and books in research papers.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 16, 2012, 3:35 PM)

Partner camhead

Feb 16, 2012, 3:43 PM
Post #7 of 23 (11831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Anthropology student doing project on climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
...no reputable college would ever allow someone to use a forum as a reference for a research paper, that's ludicrous. Most colleges don't even want you to use the Internet for a research paper unless your reference comes from a .mil, .gov, or .edu site or something like Google Scholar or a digital library. Most colleges want their students to use peer reviewed published documents and books in research papers.

Uhh... you don't know what you're talking about in terms of primary or secondary sources. For anthropological research on cultures and subcultures, message boards can be an excellent primary source.

marc801

Feb 16, 2012, 3:48 PM
Post #8 of 23 (11828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yondergrass wrote:
For a historical background perspective, please read Ken Wilson's "The Games Climbers Play"
[ http://www.amazon.com/...Wilson/dp/0897321987 ]

You'll find that what you're calling a sub/counterculture is hardly new and that in the past two decades, climbing has decidedly moved away from a subculture to something much more mainstream.

Also, since this is your first experience in online fora (seriously? and you're older than 13?), you should also read some of the work done by Jenny Preece of the University of Maryland. Start with:
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/...0/issue4/preece.html and its included references.
Preece's book on the subject: http://www.amazon.com/...bility/dp/0471805998

If you don't have a good understanding of online communities as a basis, you risk attributing observations and behaviors to climbing which are actually indicative of online community discussions and have nothing to do with climbing.

Also, when doing ethnographic studies, it's usually a good idea to be a bit lower key and a little more invisible. A grand announcement of who you are and what you're doing may not have been the best opening move. Actually, you've already biased your observations. I suggest discussing your approach with your professor.

USnavy

Feb 16, 2012, 4:10 PM
Post #9 of 23 (11815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
USnavy wrote:
...no reputable college would ever allow someone to use a forum as a reference for a research paper, that's ludicrous. Most colleges don't even want you to use the Internet for a research paper unless your reference comes from a .mil, .gov, or .edu site or something like Google Scholar or a digital library. Most colleges want their students to use peer reviewed published documents and books in research papers.

Uhh... you don't know what you're talking about in terms of primary or secondary sources. For anthropological research on cultures and subcultures, message boards can be an excellent primary source.
The school I attend has a mandatory requirement of at least one research paper per week for all classes in the 1xx - 6xx levels so I get to have all kinds of fun writing countless papers and looking up references. Okay, so maybe they allow it in anthropology, I am an IT major, so that's not my field. But in my major, I am only authorized to use known accurate sources as a primary reference. Some professors only authorize peer reviewed sources. I can list a forum on an annotated bib, but not an APA or MLA formatted reference page and I could never use in-text citations for paraphrased or direct quote material from a forum. The only exception would be if the topic I am writing is so completely esoteric that rc.knob was the only place I could possibly get the info from, then it may be authorized, but I suspect the professor would just tell me to choose a different topic. I wish I could use forums and Wikipedia and other crap .com sites in my references, it would cut my research time by 500%...

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 16, 2012, 4:20 PM)

Partner j_ung

Feb 16, 2012, 6:46 PM
Post #10 of 23 (11772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
camhead wrote:
Hey, for a more accurate view of climbers' culture, I shudder at you trying to use this website as data. .
I agree, and anyway, no reputable college would ever allow someone to use a forum as a reference for a research paper, that's ludicrous.

Unless you're specifically researching Internet climbing communities.

OP, I don't think you're going to get an accurate feel for the climbing culture on any website. The best you're going to get is a sense of the lingo... and the impression that we're all a bunch of assholes.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Feb 16, 2012, 6:47 PM)

walkonyourhands

Feb 16, 2012, 6:58 PM
Post #11 of 23 (11758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
camhead wrote:
USnavy wrote:

The school I attend has a mandatory requirement of at least one research paper per week for all classes in the 1xx - 6xx levels so I get to have all kinds of fun writing countless papers and looking up references. Okay, so maybe they allow it in anthropology, I am an IT major, so that's not my field. But in my major, I am only authorized to use known accurate sources as a primary reference. Some professors only authorize peer reviewed sources. I can list a forum on an annotated bib, but not an APA or MLA formatted reference page and I could never use in-text citations for paraphrased or direct quote material from a forum. The only exception would be if the topic I am writing is so completely esoteric that rc.knob was the only place I could possibly get the info from, then it may be authorized, but I suspect the professor would just tell me to choose a different topic. I wish I could use forums and Wikipedia and other crap .com sites in my references, it would cut my research time by 500%...

Dude, he's using the forums as a primary SOURCE. He wants to study YOU! And me too, that is.

carabiner96

Feb 17, 2012, 1:07 AM
Post #12 of 23 (11686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Fixt.

shockabuku

Feb 17, 2012, 7:45 AM
Post #13 of 23 (11628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
The school I attend has a mandatory requirement of at least one research paper per week

What constitutes a "research paper" at your school?

Partner j_ung

Feb 17, 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #14 of 23 (11613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Well, you certainly know more about it than I do, but I'm still skeptical. What sort of information do anthropologists glean from forums?

Partner j_ung

Feb 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #15 of 23 (11612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yondergrass wrote:

Wait. What? Yondergrass, my friend, the rabbit hole is considerably deeper than that. Laugh

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 17, 2012, 2:38 PM
Post #16 of 23 (11570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Anthropology student doing project on climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
and the impression that we're all a bunch of assholes.

STFU. You needed to tell the OP to STFU.

bill413

Feb 17, 2012, 5:39 PM
Post #17 of 23 (11549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
OP, I don't think you're going to get an accurate feel for the climbing culture on any website. The best you're going to get is a sense of the lingo... and the impression that we're all a bunch of assholes.

Don't the two underlined portions contradict?

Partner j_ung

Feb 17, 2012, 5:40 PM
Post #18 of 23 (11545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Anthropology student doing project on climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Don't the two underlined portions contradict?

Laugh

styndall

Feb 17, 2012, 8:45 PM
Post #19 of 23 (11509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
camhead wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Well, you certainly know more about it than I do, but I'm still skeptical. What sort of information do anthropologists glean from forums?

Anthropologists study the ways people behave in specific situations, and forums are definitely specific situations. There are lots of good ethnographic works out there on online communities of various kinds. My favorite is Boellerstorff's Coming of Age in Second Life, which you can read a little about here:

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8647.html

matterunomama

Feb 18, 2012, 9:47 PM
Post #20 of 23 (11441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yondergrass wrote:
Here is all your research:

Rock Climbing Subworlds: A Segmentation Study

http://repository.tamu.edu/...lje-2.pdf?sequence=1
You're welcome.

Rmsyll2

Feb 25, 2012, 4:19 PM
Post #21 of 23 (11270 views)
Shortcut

Reply: [matterunomama] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

'matter' offered: http://repository.tamu.edu/... and anticipated "You're welcome."

Thank you indeed. Tiresome wading through, but interesting for specific comments made and suppositions confirmed. IMO simple exercise was under-represented; and non-college-based participation was more countered with a limited control group than balanced. I was surprised by the income level, and had doubted the level of education. The founding notion that land managers/planners would use such studies seems ridiculous to me, based in a state park.

irregularpanda

Feb 25, 2012, 7:31 PM
Post #22 of 23 (11234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yondergrass wrote:
Hey guys. I am an Anthropology student at UNT conducting research on the rock climbing culture. I am planning on observing and participating in the general, bouldering, and US-South forums for the next 2 weeks or so. I've been climbing for about 3 years now and really feel like the group of anti-social fuck ups has developed over the past two decades or so stands out from all other monkeys that like to hump doorknobs I have encoutered. This is my first exdperience in online forums and am psyched to get this going.

I fixed that for you.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 25, 2012, 9:23 PM
Post #23 of 23 (11212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rmsyll2] Reply: [matterunomama] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
'matter' offered: http://repository.tamu.edu/... and anticipated "You're welcome."

Thank you indeed. Tiresome wading through, but interesting for specific comments made and suppositions confirmed. IMO simple exercise was under-represented; and non-college-based participation was more countered with a limited control group than balanced. I was surprised by the income level, and had doubted the level of education. The founding notion that land managers/planners would use such studies seems ridiculous to me, based in a state park.

I personally found that link not so helpful.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook