RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

yodelthis

Feb 21, 2012, 6:09 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1768 views)
Shortcut

Cerro Torre: The mountaineering community's response
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rolo Garibotti pulled together a great statement that offers the mountaineering community's response to the removal of Maestri's bolts. Impressive list of Patagonian activists and alpine luminaries support Kennedy and Kruk's restoration project.

http://teton.outerlocal.com/climbing/cerro-torre-an-impossible-mountain-outpost

bearbreeder

Feb 21, 2012, 6:43 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodelthis] Cerro Torre: The mountaineering community's response [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a first free ascent beats the pants off any "fair means" aid ascent or bolt chopping anyday

the sad part is that north americans seem to be putting down mr lamas 5.13b R/X FFA up that wall ...

theyd much rather talk about a few bolts ... rather than about the compressor route finally being freed after half a century

i sense a lot of hatred going around ...

the REAL story ...
http://www.redbull.com/...view-021243166676734

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Feb 21, 2012, 6:51 PM)

sbaclimber

Feb 21, 2012, 8:28 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Cerro Torre: The mountaineering community's response [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
a first free ascent beats the pants off any "fair means" aid ascent or bolt chopping anyday
That may well be your opinion, but I don't have the feeling that it is shared by many who supported the actions of Kennedy and Kruk. Tongue

dan2see

Feb 21, 2012, 9:42 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodelthis] Cerro Torre: The mountaineering community's response [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I like Messner's comment the best, as quoted in OuterLocal:

Reinhold Messner wrote:
Maestri was free to put the bolts in 1970, Jason and Hayden were free to take the bolts out. Cesare demonstrated that CT was possible with the compressor, Jason and Hayden demonstrated that it was possible without. They have all my respect – for having liberated the Compressor route from the grips of conquest alpinism, a style that we should finally get over with.

This image is on SummitPost:

(This post was edited by dan2see on Feb 21, 2012, 9:45 PM)

Gmburns2000

Feb 21, 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yodelthis wrote:
Rolo Garibotti pulled together a great statement that offers the mountaineering community's response to the removal of Maestri's bolts. Impressive list of Patagonian activists and alpine luminaries support Kennedy and Kruk's restoration project.

http://teton.outerlocal.com/...ble-mountain-outpost

linked

potreroed

Feb 22, 2012, 12:48 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yawn. I don't care one way or the other if they chopped the bolts but I think they lied when they said it was a last minute decision after summiting. You don't remove 100 bolts with your bare hands, you have to come prepared.

Khoi

Feb 22, 2012, 4:23 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Cerro Torre: The mountaineering community's response [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
Yawn. I don't care one way or the other if they chopped the bolts but I think they lied when they said it was a last minute decision after summiting. You don't remove 100 bolts with your bare hands, you have to come prepared.

IIRC, they said during their live presentation at the VIMFF that the bolts were removed with their ice axe.

Partner j_ung

Feb 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1480 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Cerro Torre: The mountaineering community's response [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:

If they had a modern bolt kit (and an ice axe as mentioned above), they had everything they needed and more to chop a bunch of 50-year-old quarter inchers.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook