RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

chi_girl

Feb 7, 2003, 4:44 PM
Post #1 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

the ultimate "rockin' "wedding
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay ladies- I am looking for some ideas!
My man and I are planning a wedding for the upcoming August or September. We started climbing together 2 years ago and still climb together.
We are planning on getting married at a ski mountain right now- maybe at the top but if not we'll at least go to the top for pictures. Anyway, I would like my theme to be natural, simple, and organic.
Any crazy ideas on how rock climbing could be incoporated into the ceremony or reception without being gaudy?

katydid

Feb 7, 2003, 9:42 PM
Post #2 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

the ultimate "rockin' "wedding [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have a lot of climbers coming, make the reception a party at the local crag. If there's a lot of easy routes, it might be fun to get some of the non-climbers to rope up.

Then again, Gramma might not be so impressed.

k.

sroehlk

Feb 7, 2003, 11:06 PM
Post #3 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations on your engagement! Let’s see if I have any good ideas You could have each table at your reception labeled and/or themed as one of your favorite places to climb. You could have a picture of you two climbing there and wildflowers native to the location. I’ve seen a lot of couples do a video montage and you could always include a lot of climbing pictures there. If I think of anything else I’ll let you know…

rckclimbergurl

Feb 7, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #4 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahahahaha, I've thought up a few crazy ideas for getting married, it'd be soooo cool!!! Not that you have to do that, they're just suggestions.

1) Wouldn't be able to have many spectators for this one, but if you two are into extreme sports, like skydiving, you both could go skydiving, tandem (sp?) style. Then when you land, ya get married, with all the relatives and other people waiting on the ground for you!! Would be cool.......

2)Climb a small mountain or cliff face that's easily accessible to the top, (as in being able to truck your relatives to the summit.) When you two emerge to the top, you get married, snap some pics, then instead of taking off in a limo or something, you rap down to the bottom! Preferably on an overhang, so you'd just be hangin' there. It'd just be one reaaaally long rope, so you wouldn't have to change at stations or something. That's my personal favourite!!

That's all I can think of for now..........I'll post again if I get any more crazy ideas!

beyond_gravity

Feb 8, 2003, 12:03 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Tedi, does that mean you'r going to get a harness built into your dress?

And if I wrek my Tux rapping you'll have to pay for it

Partner missedyno

Feb 8, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #6 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if i ever get married i hope it's mid climb or mid rappel or something like that.... with the bare minimum amount of people.... dunno like crowds.

climbingbetty22

Feb 8, 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were ever to get married, I've always imagined that it would be in meadow with El Cap or Half Dome towering over us in the background. (Generic I know) And then in true climber style, the reception would consist of a bar-be-que and a beer truck! Maybe I ought to make it a reception/rc.com gathering all in one!
OK, so if teh day ever comes, I'll let you all know!

ecocliffchick

Feb 8, 2003, 9:36 PM
Post #8 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are trying to stick to a "natual" theme and want to have some hints of climbing in small details, that may be more appropriate for a wedding. You could have the ceremony outdoors on a cliff top that you can drive up to (so all your relatives, granny included, can be there) and you'll have the inspiring view in the background. No one wants to stand in a pile of talus at the base of a cliff, but everyone will appreciate the view at the top.

At the reception, the idea of a video/slide montage is always popular, and putting in some of your favourite climbing shots will be inspirational to everyone and a good way to share your passion.

Little climbing references could include naming the tables after your favourite crags, or naming menu items after climbing areas.

You can always decorate with natural accents or have your reception outdoors and let mother nature do the decorating.

The best way to encorporate climbing into your wedding plans would be to take a climbing trip for your honeymoon. You might not be able to climb on the "big-day" but would you really want to wear that white dress out cragging?

Can you tell I've thought about this alot...

chi_girl

Feb 10, 2003, 8:15 PM
Post #9 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow!
So many great ideas!!! I knew I would get some great replies because most single women spend a lot of time thinking about "that special" day. Or if you don't- you can usually think up of some crazy ideas!

I like the idea of getting married on a cliff. But it does have to be easily accessible, for the grandparents. I have one in mind, but I am worried about it being very windy. So we'll see...

The ideas about naming the tables different climbs or climbing areas is great- with pictures to go along. I am already thinking about using pieces of slate for candles and smaller polished rocks as centerpieces.

And my favorite!-- skydiving and landing at your wedding! That would be awesome!

See, I gave all of you ideas in the meantime........

shastess

Feb 11, 2003, 7:08 PM
Post #10 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations! I would definitely go for an outdoors wedding. You can also have wildflowers for your bouquet and centerpieces. Instead of the traditional bride and goom figurines on the top of the cake, you could have the girl on top the cake and the guy climbing up to her. In having an outdoor wedding make sure you find out who owns the land rather state or private and get permission and find out all the regulations. I know where I live there is a geourgeous place called Honeybranch cave of dreams and it's totally a climber's place to get married! Best of luck!!!

psalmadventurer

Feb 12, 2003, 2:26 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My ideas fall under "gaudy" I am afraid, LOL:

1) rather than having the bride walk down the carpet and the aisle, put out a slackline and walk her down that....
2) Have you been to those weddings where they have two small candles and one big candle, and like the bride and groom are represented by each small candle, but then they extinguish those and together light the big candle? Or whatever, great idea, but: You guys can "complete the quickdraw" You each have a biner and the pastor (or whoever is marrying you guys) can hold a sling, and you guys put each biner through that and you have now "completed the quickdraw..."
3) Just when the party is winding down, it is time to cut the cake. Wait until people see you guys pull out your best ice axe to cut the cake
Anyway, have a wonderful wedding, and an even better marriage!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

ecocliffchick

Feb 12, 2003, 4:13 PM
Post #12 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love the idea of using an ice tool to cut the cake, and the bride and groom figurines climbing up the cake too - that's brilliant!

chi_girl

Feb 12, 2003, 4:41 PM
Post #13 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I absolutely love the idea about having the little people climbing up the cake- the man climbing up to the woman! That is the best idea so far!
I have also thought about using wildflowers. I am planning on taking over my mother's garden and planting tons and tons of wildflowers! Ones that will last at least a day after being cut.
Thanks for the great ideas! I hope I get some more!

rckclimbergurl

Feb 15, 2003, 11:15 PM
Post #14 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hehehehe, what, Jeremy, who said you had to wear a tux rapping??? lol, and there's nooooo way I'm rapping down in a big poofy wedding dress!!! Hahahaha, I could be wearing this small dress thing for the ceremony, but then afterwards, I'll ditch the dress for some comfier clothing!! Maybe some white prana pants..........hahaha!

Or skydiving, yes, that was a good idea of mine, wasn't it??? lol, joking

edited for spelling, :shock:

alpinelynx

Feb 16, 2003, 4:50 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you could give out those little keychain carabiners with your names and the wedding date on it as souveniers like some folks do. The cake could be made to look like your favourite mountain (I'd pick half dome, personally). The 'completing the quikdraw' is a great idea or you could tie each other in. better yet, take a climbing honey moon in thailand!

eowyn1025

Mar 1, 2003, 3:01 AM
Post #16 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey! ok i don't know how formal you'd be wanting to go but here's a website you should check out.... www.organicweddings.com.....i read about this gal's stuff in a magazine and she has everything you need for a wedding except it's all organic. So that might fit the natural look you want...may be a little pricey but you might just get some cool ideas anyway. Congrats!

moabbeth

Mar 5, 2003, 5:32 AM
Post #17 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're anywhere near SoCal, get hitched atop Intersection Rock in Joshua Tree! Given it would be hot as hell around that time, but you could do another ceremony up there once it cools down a little. I've seen a couple of weddings take place up there, amazing view and everything from 5.7 to 5.11 routes to get up to the top of the thing so it truly is a climbers wedding. Some girl went up Left Ski Track in a skirt to get to one, that was impressive.

climbingjewels

Mar 6, 2003, 2:20 AM
Post #18 of 18 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have any suggestions but I just thought it was cool how my fiance and I met at a rock climbing gym. Now we're getting married on July 3rd. Too bad our wedding doesn't pertain to anything related to climbing.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook