RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

flyinghatchet

Feb 13, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

BEST STARTER CAMERA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I AM INTERESTED IN STARTING PHOTOGRAPHY AND WANTED TO KNOW WHAT ALL YOU EXPERTS THINK IS THE BEST NOVICE CAMERA OUT THERE.

kcrag

Feb 13, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

BEST STARTER CAMERA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd suggest purchasing an SLR camera body that has the capability of being fully manual. You will learn about photography only by controlling the shutter speed and aperature (take a class or read some beginning photog books).

Also keep in mind, that once you buy into a system, you'll probably stick to that manufacturer because it makes little sense to spend the money tossing between two (or more) systems that are incompatable. I'd suggest going with canon or nikon, as these are the two leading pro manufacturers. Me, I'm a nikon chick. The beginning nikon SLR body would be a FM2 or 3 series, but if you want the option of a really cheap SLR that can also be used as an automatic, go with the Nikon F55 or F65.

Good luck, and have fun shooting!
-k.

tucsonalex

Feb 13, 2003, 9:52 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might also want to try checking out some used camera shops. Good deals can be found on some of the tried and true beginner cameras like the Pentax K-1000, and there is an endless supply of accessories available for them on e-bay. Those things very simple and are bullet proof. You could hammer nails with them and not hurt it. If you decide that photography isn't for you then you are not out as much money if you had bought new.

cyberclimber

Feb 13, 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with kcrag. I started out with a Minolta x-700, (a great camera) invested in lots of primes and some fast zooms before I realized that the system was too limited for what I wanted to do. My Minolta lenses wouldn't work on a new, autofocus Minolta body, so I eventually ended up eBaying everything and starting all over with Nikon. The Pentax K100 is a tough, reliable camera, but you can't build a system around it. A Nikon N65 or a Canon Rebel are both fairly inexpensive, if you get more serious with your photography you can buy great lenses and accesaries to go with them, then eventually when you buy a better body, you can still keep your first body to use as a back-up. Think of getting a camera that you can build around as your skills grow.
Hope this helps.
JC

dirko

Feb 13, 2003, 11:45 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am in love with my manual minolta prime system, but just like beta, it is only what works for me. I would recommend going to www.photo.net

Read the topics Equipment > What camera to buy
and
Learn > Beginners > Tutorial

Hope this helps!

bontrager

Feb 13, 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want something cheap, easy and Bomber go and get a Yashica T4 (not the new zoom). It has zeiss lens, it is weatherproof and it is small thus easy to carry. If you want to get close ups just try to get closer. But the lens quality makes blow ups from this point and shoot comparable to other ig gun cameras.

If you want to go more mainstream. Get an autofocus SLR Nikon, the optics are great and you can get them used anywhere in the world. Forget the manual stuff. The last thing you want to be thinking about is getting the right exposure. If you get a Nikon learn to use it in the Aperture priority mode. Try to get fixed lenses if you can live with it. They offer more options in aperture and they are alway sharper.

Most of all use pro films and get a real good lab they will always make your pics better looking.

Good shooting

[ This Message was edited by: bontrager on 2003-02-13 15:57 ]

kriso9tails

Feb 14, 2003, 12:01 AM
Post #7 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to plug one company, but autofocus Nikons (I believe) like the F60 etc. will take older F-series lenses (which are much, much cheaper in most cases) but will simply not work with the autofocus... don't quote me on that.

flyinghatchet

Feb 14, 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #8 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for all the info!!!

AND PINSCAR, I KNOW WHERE CAPS LOCK IS, BUT IF IT REALLY BOTHERS YOU, I WILL QUIT IT.

totigers

Feb 14, 2003, 12:21 AM
Post #9 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I truly miss my Minolta x9 fully manual camera since it was stolen but now I have a Nikon fully auto and it's ok. But it was recommended to me by a friend who knows how I abuse my camera and said that this one would be perfect. Feel free to pm me for Rebecca's number at the shop so she can better explain it to you.
This photo shop has taught me a lot over the years and because of that, I will not go to any other place for my questions.
You can look them up yourselves too.
Pauls Photo in Torrance California.
Just tell them that Doc sent you or give them my real name. Like I said though, Rebecca is the only person I talk to there anymore though. Have fun and I am looking forward to seeing your awsome pics when you get started.

bontrager

Feb 14, 2003, 12:26 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails

If there was a question regarding fixed lenses that means a non-zoom lens i.e. 50mm and not a 28-70mm lens. While the older manual nikon lenses work with the autofocus bodies, it defeats the advice that I gave. A fixed lens will offer a fast aperture like a 1.8 or larger that will allow you to get off shots in most any kind of light situation using slow film (100 iso)and a decent shutter speed. The last thing you want is to have a slow shutter speed with your arms pumped.

But hey what do I know. I use a Contax G1.

[ This Message was edited by: bontrager on 2003-02-13 16:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bontrager on 2003-02-13 16:31 ]

dmon

Feb 14, 2003, 1:18 AM
Post #11 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got a Canon Eos 3000N and am very happy with it. It gives a very wide range of shooting options, from totally automatic to totally manual, and all the various combinations in between.
I used to use a real old school pentax slr and the light meter on this was really good. The only problem I have with my Canon is that the digital(?) light meter is different. What I'm trying to say is that I liked my old Pentax light meter.

Duncan

saltspringer

Feb 14, 2003, 8:00 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nikons are bombproof and upgradable: a perfect combo for anyone who wants to get into the photo game...you can start with all manual focus equipment (bodies & lenses) and then mix it up with AF as time and money allow. A used (not abused) F3, FM2, FE, FA or FG will all get you started on the Nikon system and you can buy old Nikkor lenses to go with them. The older Nikkor "P" lenses have excellent optics and you can pick them up cheap. I began with Pentax gear and ended up trading in a whole bunch of it for one F3 and a 50mm Nikkor and have now upgraded all of my gear to new AF bodies and lenses...as I made the transition from manual to AF all of my Nikon gear was fully compatible so that I was able to build up a fantastic system over a number of years...good luck!

apollodorus

Feb 14, 2003, 8:16 AM
Post #13 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A good pre-beginner camera might be one of those disposables. A good (not great) thing for snapshots up to about 20 feet away.

And make sure you have some idea about lens compatibility before you buy the SLR. Some companies' newer ones (Canon being a conspicuous example), won't take the older lenses. And those are the ones you can find at the swap meet cheap.

A used A-1 or AE-1 Canon body will take the older FD lenses, and they can be found cheaper than the newer EOS lenses. You lose out on the electronics, though. You'll have to learn 'F-Stop', and all that. Which is actually pretty easy.

And don't forget that many companies make lenses to fit other cameras. A 500mm reflex (mirror) telephoto from Canon for the EOS is about $600.00. I've seen other companies' models for about $100. The quality is lower, of course, but you can spend the other $500.00 on something else.

bontrager

Feb 14, 2003, 6:44 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stand by the Yashica T4 recommendation it only went out of production a few years ago. You can still find them "new in the box" at hole in the wall shops and used on ebay. You shouldn't however pay more than the $150 it retailed for new. The new T4 is also really good with zeiss lens. I prefer the fixed stuff myself. You get faster lenses, which I find more useful in composing shots.

This all said, if you want to stay with a compact light point and shoot setup. That is great for a start.

rwaltermyer

Feb 25, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lets here it for nikon.
sure for a beginner they may be pricy, but i shelled out 1200 bucks once I knew I was serious (used my schools equipment AND film to gain experience) and I couldn't be happier.

well...there's always another lense out there, but I'd suggest the N80 if you want a great body (w/ a good mail-in rebate) that will give you everything you ever wanted.

God Bless,
Randy

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook