RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

krillen

Feb 26, 2003, 1:34 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1217 views)
Shortcut

Macro
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I got my hands on (borrowed from a friend) a nice Macro lens and I'm debating whether to take it to Red Rocks with me. I'm leary about taking borrowed gear on a trip incase it get ripped off or broken. What will teh Macro offer me that might lean me towards taking it?

josher

Feb 26, 2003, 1:37 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1217 views)
Shortcut

Macro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im not a photographer, but isnt macro for extreem close-up pictures?

machiavellian

Feb 26, 2003, 3:29 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1217 views)
Shortcut

Macro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find I get more out of a trip if I have any sort of extreme tele lenses because I get a different perspective on things. The only big problems I have are a) I lose most all depth of field, b) I don't have a zoom macro so it is hard to focus (I have to adjust my body position to frame things properly and focus afterward) and c) macro is hard (at least for me) to hand hold at anything below 1/30. (I'm not a photographer, I am only trying to learn how to use my camera, this is only my $.02 form my own experiences.)

Some examples of macro:

http://home1.nikonnet.com/...137144/4791814lg.jpg

Shot at J-Tree over New Years with a 200mm Olympus f/4 macro at 1/60.

http://home1.nikonnet.com/...137144/4793809lg.jpg

Shot at J-Tree as well, 200mm macro, again, f/4 at 1/60.

saltspringer

Feb 26, 2003, 4:34 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1217 views)
Shortcut

Macro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the "macro" designation on your 200mm lens is a function of the lens...it's ability to close-focus for greater magnification. A macro lens is designed to reproduce objects on film at 1/2 life size or more...a true macro lens has very fine focusing capabilities at close range so that you are able to fine-tune your focusing down to the millimeter. For climbing a macro lens isn't really very useful in and of its self but if it is merely a feature of the lens then the other attributes of the lens may be worth the extra room in your camera bag. Standard macros are usually in the 60mm focal length range and act much like a standard 50mm lens; most macro-zooms (ie: 35-70mm) are not true macro lenses but have the capabilty of focusing extremely close. Anyway, if you're interested in exploring the macro world, bring along the lens, a tripod and a cable release...

krillen

Feb 26, 2003, 5:16 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1217 views)
Shortcut

Macro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I should have specified. The lens is is the 35-70 zoom with Macro capabilities. I would take a cable release but since there is a 4-8 week back order on them that won't be a possibility.

I think I'll save myself the worry, leave it at home and just take my medium zoom. Maybe that will force me to climb more? :P

rwaltermyer

Feb 26, 2003, 1:44 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1217 views)
Shortcut

Macro [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what you should get your hands on is a wide angle lense, so you can get close up, and not have to worry about focusing...of course they're high priced, so borrowing one would be pretty hard. I don't think i'd barely trust myself with a 14-28mm hanging out there....

nonetheless, that would give you close up, and ease your focusing prob. And if you want real close on the hands, etc....take a long lense (100-300)that will get you in tight too.

God bless
randy

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook