RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

yevquest

Mar 18, 2003, 1:05 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

whistler/squamish
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm going to be in Whistler for a meeting at the end of april/beginning of may and wanted to get some climbing in. I won't have a car so I'm trying to figure out some logistics. Looking for trad to 11a and sport to mid12.

A bunch of questions:

will the rock be dry/climbable by then?

how hard is it to find a partner in squamish? cal-cheak? anyplace else in whistler worth going to? nordic rock?

Does anyone know if there's bus service from whistler to squamish? from squamish to vancouver?

Good lodging (not camping) in squamish)

Any other beta that you can think of is appreciated!

Thanks,

Brent

snapier

Mar 18, 2003, 1:10 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

whistler/squamish [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't help you much on any specific beta, except that I was in Squamish for a few days and the climbing there was great! The place rules!

I took a course through Squamish Rock Guides (http://www.squamishrockguides.com) and they were great. I would say contact them, even though you're prolly not in the need of a course. Marc and Kai are great people and very helpful. Their website has a lot of good info on it...

flying_dutchman

Mar 18, 2003, 1:15 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

weather in squamish? the place is a rainforest. as for lodging, whistler is a world class ski resort so you should be able to find a place. Might be cheaper to stay in squamish though and theres lotsa people around to climb with if you look alittle. I will be there in may after university hopefully. As for buses, they run constantly cause of the skiing.

kman

Mar 18, 2003, 1:33 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are several buses per day that run from Vancouver to Whistler via Squamish. Look at the Greyhound site.

ace-11
Deleted

Mar 18, 2003, 2:49 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Bud!
I'm not sure of any really good climbing in Whistler, especially not at this time of year! If you get a good couple of days in Squamish so the rock dries out the "Little Smoke Bluffs" are the best place to climb there. In the way of lodging, I dont even know if I would stay in Squamish! I would either head back up to Whistler or camp in my truck at the bottom of the crag! Anyways, if you need more info on Squamish climbing PM me, I go there lots!

Jeff 8)

rockzen

Mar 19, 2003, 2:35 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey ace-11...

i''ve never been to the area before... why wouldn't you stay in Squamish?

RockZen...

tedtiger

Mar 23, 2003, 4:13 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a great hostel to stay at in squamish(actually I think there are 2 now but have only stayed at the one) If it doesn't rain there is tons of great climbing in squamish(don't know about whistler) also it is quite easy to hook up with a climbing partner, just ask around at the hostel there are usually climbers staying their or go to the boulders at the base of the grand and you might find someone.
cheers

sunsation

Mar 24, 2003, 8:51 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Re: whistler/squamish [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Brent,

Hard to say what the rock'll be like when you're in Squish. I was out climbing the first weekend in Feb but haven't been out since as it's really touch and go. There's a spot in Check Canyon that tends to stay dry all the time, so there's always that for a sport climbing option. Personally, Calcheck makes me cry... slabby. I've never climbed Nordic. The Greydog runs from Van to Whistler and stops in Squamish so you're all good there. There's a couple of hotels in Squamish and they are definitely going to be cheaper than Whistler. If you are looking for a climbing partner, PM me, I'd be happy to show you around. Squamish is amazing, you'll love it.

Cheers,

Roo

takeit4granite

Apr 7, 2003, 9:04 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Whistler [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep your eye on the weather and hope for the best. It can either rain/snow/ or be sunny and takes only a couple of days to dry out.

Check out the "Hostels" section to find local climbers willing to tour you around!

If it is raining or you want to try to find a partner visit the Climbing Wall in Whistler.

You can access Nordic, Creekside Boulder by local bus and there is Greyhound service which roams the Hwy99.

Peace.

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook