RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

vaness

Jan 3, 2002, 12:54 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1640 views)
Shortcut

indoor FA ...do you count them
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

do indoor bouldering problems count for first asents cuz ya know its not really rock..and you can have so many different routes on just one wall. and you can change the holds around and stuff yeah so do you guys count them?

Partner pianomahnn

Jan 3, 2002, 6:52 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1640 views)
Shortcut

indoor FA ...do you count them [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First ascent? I don't think so. The rights to that problem, yes. Reason being, you've used the holds before, you know what they are. In a first ascent, you don't know what the holds are, and you've never used them.

Granted, just because you've used a hold on a different route and turned a different way doesn't make it easier, it's just not a "true" first ascent.

Indoor climbing and outdoor climbing ARE two totally different animals, so I guess new rules should be formed...

kriso9tails

Jan 4, 2002, 6:58 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think two other factors are that it's artificial (environmen, not climbing), and that it's impermanent.

FA refers to a specific line rather than a specific sequence of holds. If you resequenced and old boulder problem outdoors that would not be an FA. Because the holds are always being rearranged there can be no true first ascent. That doesn't make too much sense in the way I've written it up, but trust me, it works out.

vaness

Jan 4, 2002, 11:46 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree with you guys too...i dont think it counts either i was just wondering what you guys thought.
its more like you make a route and its your route till the holds get re arranged. i guess i cant explain what im trying to say so forget it.

vanessa

bigwalling

Jan 4, 2002, 11:54 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No way. That would mean I could go in my just go and put up some holds on the wall I have in my garage and call it a F.A. that would be cool but also kind of lame. That means everyone who has put up a route an a fake wall would have a F.A. and there always changing the holds.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook