RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

coclimber26

Jun 2, 2003, 5:57 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Heart rate monitors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I started using a heartrate monitor for climbing 14'ers and alpine climbs. It has helped in keeping a good pace and not burning out. If I plan to climb for 4-8 hours I try to keep my heartrate between 130-145. Does anyone else use this?

pico23

Jun 2, 2003, 8:14 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Re: Heart rate monitors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when I was a competitive runner and cyclist I used to use a HR monitor. Sure they help you get better because most people gravitate to a HR zone that does nothing for them from a performance improvement standpoint. Either you need to keep your HR above a certain zone or below it for maximum benefit. I haven't used one in years and am happier for it but then I don't compete either so there isn't really need for one. It seems like just another piece of gear to keep track of while climbing unless you use the Suunto Advisor. Do they all still have those annoying chest bands?? God I hated that thing. Sounds like a good idea though to keep yourself from burning out. Sometimes you feel great early on and decide to push only to burnout. The HR monitor can definitely prevent that if you use it correctly.

The coolest thing about it was seeing how high your actual max HR was. That 220-age thing never seemed accurate to me and once I got a HR is realized my max HR was actually way higher.

coclimber26

Jun 3, 2003, 4:22 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are right the chest strap is a pain in the butt. My max was just over 200 which doesn't quite match the 220-age formula. The Sunto is nice for mountaineering because it has the altimeter aswell..

rongoodman

Jun 5, 2003, 6:00 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The 220-age is the most conservative estimate, the one they use in cardiologist's office when they stress patients on the treadmill. 205-1/2*age is supposed to be more accurate for in-shape people. (I'm 56 and in fair shape, with a max of about 180).

traddad

Jun 5, 2003, 8:39 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The 220 - age formula came from a couple of studies WAY back, using small data sets. The original author doesn't even think it's valid for this use.

mainline

Jun 5, 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For a good book on how to use HR monitors for training check out Serious Training for Endurance Athletes by Sleamaker. There is a good chapter on different ways to accurately obtain your max heart rate.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook