RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

mother_sheep

Jun 19, 2003, 6:41 PM
Post #1 of 3 (888 views)
Shortcut

Women's Climbing Websites
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When you tire of surfing rc.com, here are a few other sites that are specifically for women who climb.

www.womenclimbing.com (Great site!)
www.alpinewoman.com (Pretty good. Gear, tips, articles and forum that is down for the moment)
www.shegear.com (gear)
www.msoutdoor.com (gear)
www.mountainwoman.com (gear and forum. . .pretty inactive)

granite_grrl

Jun 19, 2003, 7:10 PM
Post #2 of 3 (888 views)
Shortcut

Re: Women's Climbing Websites [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to go onto www.MountainWoman.com alot, but not so much in the past year or so. Still a nice place to browse through gear, but the B-board just went dead for whatever reason.

And while it's not climbing I like to go to www.teamestrogen.com, which is a women's biking site (gear and disscussion board).

iamthewallress

Jun 19, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #3 of 3 (888 views)
Shortcut

Re: Women's Climbing Websites [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I need to update it, but I started a women's history page for Yosemite big walls when I was hurt over the winter and couldn't climb. I meant to expand it, but it has sort of fallen by the wayside now that I can actually get out and do stuff.

I'm sure it's full of inaccuracies and that there are tons of women who have done some of these routes in advance of the names that I have listed. I just tried to put down whatever info I could find, and that ended up being skewed towards sponsored climbers.

The next bit is copied over from a thread in the history section, so appologies if you've seen it before:

The bit by Galen Rowell about their not being women around in any significant way in the history of Yosemite big walls and it not being his place to rewrite history rubbed me the wrong way once again when I read it in "The Vertical World..." as it has every time that I've seen it quoted. They were there, and it was pretty significant to me most of the other woment who consider Valley climbing a holy act. So I got to thinking that there are tons of lists of FAs and FastestAs and FFAs, but no good FWA (first women's assent) lists, and I started to make one starting with Yosemite big walls, gleaning what I could mostly from the internet and a bit from my books. Part of the idea was to document a history, but hopefully also to point capable women in the direction of the low fruit. Here's the list:

http://www.iamthewallress.com/yosemitewomen.html

The abrevations are more or less as follows:

FWA = first woman's ascent...I always tried to indicate a partner if their was a man involved. Otherwise it can probably be assumed that it was solo or just the women listed on the team. When there was both types of ascent I sometimes wrote

FallWA to indicate and all woman team.

QWA = quickest woman's ascent. Too many F's (First...Female...Fastest...Free, so I had to get creative)

FWSA= first womans solo ascent

FFA/FA as per usual

For some of the routes I found record of women climbing them with no indication of whether or not they were first so I wrote them down pending more info.

I know that Johnson/Hechtel and Higgins/Eastman did some of the standard starter fare (WFLT?, SFWC?, Prow?) before tackling El Cap, but I could only find spotty details about who did what when.

If anyone can help me out with this little project in any way I would be very grateful.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook