RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

iamthewallress

Jul 2, 2003, 12:41 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Do you laugh off sexist slurs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In the Yosemite gossip thread there's been a bit of discussion about whether or not referring to women (or any subgroup of them) as "meat" is funny, unilaterally wrong, or simply not worth getting worked up over.

How do you all deal with these types of slurs when people throw them around casually whether it's done in jest or not?

deleted
Deleted

Jul 2, 2003, 5:37 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Re: Do you laugh off sexist slurs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geez, wallress, i must be in tune with my female side or something because i can't help coming in here. :D

anyway ... men are inate predators. that's not necessarily a BAD thing -- it can be harnessed in many productive ways (i.e. in sports, in the boardroom, etc.). as predatory creatures, we are constantly re-evaluating where we stand in relation to other creatures. the verbal "probe" is one way to accomplish this.

we'll say something nice, disarming, inflamatory, disgusting ... or, yes, even sexist, and observe your reaction. we are then better able formulate a plan of attack based on that intelligence.

sometimes, the best way to react is to stand your ground. look him in the eyes, tell him how stupid that sounds, and smack him on the forehead like his mama used to do.

overlord

Jul 2, 2003, 8:43 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

like mtngeo said, we men are predators and we like hunting meat.

and if were hunting women ,theyre meat :P

just dont bother and ignore the idiots.

mother_sheep

Jul 2, 2003, 2:57 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think much of it. Since men are pigs I guess that makes them meat too. :lol:

enigma

Jul 3, 2003, 7:58 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In the Yosemite gossip thread there's been a bit of discussion about whether or not referring to women (or any subgroup of them) as "meat" is funny, unilaterally wrong, or simply not worth getting worked up over.

How do you all deal with these types of slurs when people throw them around casually whether it's done in jest or not?

I just start talking about sexual endurance, size and men in thongs seems to work like a charm., everytime :lol:

skibabeage
Deleted

Jul 4, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator [In reply to]
Report this Post

deleted
Deleted

Jul 5, 2003, 11:43 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:c752d1d23c="skibabeage"]I've climbed with guys who flex their testosterone-injected muscles unnecessarily and I find climbing with them really unnatractive.[/quote:c752d1d23c]

does this mean you'll no longer climb with me if i wear my "chick-beater" t-shirt? :lol:

also, to tracyroach ... if men are pigs then i suppose that makes you a pig lover! :shock:

katydid

Jul 5, 2003, 12:43 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slurs like that don't have a lot of meaning to me. I think they reflect a lot more on the person saying them than they do on the intended target. If someone calls a woman "meat", I think "oh, he's an ignorant jerk" and move on.

Slurs like that are nothing but a reflection of some dim man's dim view of women. Doesn't make me feel belittled or degraded in the least. (Not that I'd LIKE to be called "meat", just that I try not to take it personally.)

k.

estherator

Jul 5, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aaaw, come on ladies-you act as though we don't ever look at men as "meat" or "beefcake." We all have our moments, some of us more than others, of course.

alpinelynx

Jul 6, 2003, 7:24 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, you cant win in a pissing contest, so why try? I don't see much point in trying to out crude them, but then, talking about makeup and my period seems to work real well. I also like to ask how often said slur maker is getting laid and express my condolences to the last girl. But then, I'm frequently shocked about how totally stupid some of these dudes are to be too irritated.

iamthewallress

Jul 7, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I also like to ask how often said slur maker is getting laid and express my condolences to the last girl. But then, I'm frequently shocked about how totally stupid some of these dudes are to be too irritated.

All of this stuff works pretty well around the campfire, but it's harder to to pull it of at school, work, around friends of my parents, etc...at least for me. :cry:

alpinelynx

Jul 8, 2003, 6:07 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All of this stuff works pretty well around the campfire, but it's harder to to pull it of at school, work, around friends of my parents, etc...at least for me.

I agree 100%. I think I'm the most insecure sensitive person on the planet and have had major blowouts on people for some of the comments that get made, even when the comment is harmless and I read into it wrong. I think my anger overcomes the need to keep my mouth shut and I say really mean things in response to things that don't even deserve it. this is actually an issue I deal with all of the time because I take everything personally, even when its not, and learning to suck it up gracefully is freaking hard. I don't succeed often. whats worse (maybe) is that sometimes its just FUN to be mean-spirited back at the slur makers. its seems half the time people (myself included) have no idea what the hell is coming out of their mouths.

watersprite

Jul 8, 2003, 10:03 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pete Z. was the one who mentioned "meat" so I say, consider the source. . .
I call women "chicks" and get the lecture from other women. it must be an age thing.

iamthewallress

Jul 8, 2003, 10:28 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Pete Z. was the one who mentioned "meat" so I say, consider the source. . .
I call women "chicks" and get the lecture from other women. it must be an age thing.

Actually, it wasn't Pete this time, although he's certainly not one to shy away from sexist language. The person who wrote it said that it was so over the top that he didn't think anyone would take it seriously. Although I found the joke in bad taste, I believe him and don't have a beef with this person. At the same time, I'm glad someone (VALYGRL) spoke up and said that being called "meat" was offensive. I guess I think that when you are part of a group that is hurt by slurs, you can sort of defuse a word (chick, bitch, nigga, etc.) by using it yourself, but doesn't usually work as well when someone who isn't implicated by the word uses it.

I have to admit that I'm pretty desensitized to hearing chick these days whether it's from a woman or man and I don't mind using it myself. I rarely hear women use it meaning "POA" though.

watersprite

Jul 8, 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that's true, and I would never be that insensitive...

allan_thomson

Jul 15, 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of us just say 'sexist' things just to wind you up. The best thing to do is give us back as good as we give you. Its a lot more amusing that way. Of course I agree things can go too far (I've experienced Sexual harrasment from Women ie groping OTT remarks, ect, and while female attention is flattering this was way OTT), but sometimes people don't realise they are OTT, so you need to tell them. If they carry on regardless , then they're shitheads no matter what the gender, and deserve all the trouble they get (ie the law, management etc).

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook