RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

yayapapaya

Aug 18, 2003, 1:39 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1180 views)
Shortcut

reshaping the soles
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi everyone, did anyone tried to shave off parts of the soles to reshape the soles to conform to the shape of the foot? what i mean is that as people here often point out that the best climbing aid is strong naked feet, where the toes can grip by curling them around the holds.

with the rubber soles often it is too hard to curl the sole to grip. ever wonder if you want to thin off the area between the toes and the amin sole so that it is more flexible and you could grip the rocks better? increase some protection at certain points, the main toes and the ball of the feet?

any wishes for more help from the shoes?

xanx

Aug 18, 2003, 2:04 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Re: reshaping the soles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

first off, i would say just buy a more supple shoe. Anasazi Mesas are purposely designed with a fiber glass midsole so they don't bend at all (edging masters). The Moccasym and V10 have very very thin soles and no midsole, so you really feel the rock and can curl your feet around holds (especially with the downturned toe of the V10).

Shaving off the soles will just destroy them faster. Wear them and after a while the sole should wear down a bit.

traddad

Aug 18, 2003, 1:28 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I reshape the soles on every shoe I get. I use a dremmel tool to bevel the sole back on the inside and outside of the forefoot. When the shoes come from the factory, the soles are only roughly trimmed, leaving a good bit of excess rubber that can get between your foot and the rock. The trick is to put your shoes on, feel under the sole with your hand and then twist the sole up as if you are standing on a small hold. Ten to one, on soft, new shoes the sole will twist up so that you have a big chunk of rubber between the side of your foot and where the rock would be....indicating that, if it wasn't there MORE OF YOUR FOOT WOULD BE ON THE ROCK.
Granted, I have narrow, hooked (banana shaped) feet with toxically high arches, so this may not work for everyone.
Yes, this cuts down on the life of the sole...but I have a real job and can pay for resoles. Besides, this REALLY makes my shoes edge better. Significantly better. I would pay good money to have shoes that did this right out of the box, so the little bit I decrease the sole life matters not to me.

yayapapaya

Aug 18, 2003, 1:56 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi traddad thanks for your input! it confirmed my suspicions... i think that such shoes are quite possible, hmm... but the problem is getting it to fit everyone. Also another problem could be the stretch of the shoes.

i remembered some running shoes made by nike having the main toe in separate compartment from the others. it could well be a solution to the better grip shoes.

for shoes lasting less long, well, i dunno, perhaps, its a matter of finding out where the wear is rather than saying that the shoe will last less long. i see that most wears are from the big toe portion because of the force exerted on the big toe.

different ways of climbing will also result in different wear areas. whats your views?

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook