RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

youmeanupthere

Aug 19, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

ice climbing gloves
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I tried ice climbing last year for the first time and loved it. I'm starting to accumulate gear so I will be prepared next season. I know that much of the gear (clothing) depends on personal preference and I would like some input on gloves. In particular, I want to hear from those who use gloves NOT specifically designed for ice climbing. I am a cheap skate and have found that I might be able to substitute gear designed for other activities. I have a friend who uses neoprene hunting/fishing gloves and seems to like them (they also cost only ten dollars). I also do a little cycling and I recently found a pair of gloves made by FOX which state they are "windproof and waterproof." These gloves look as durable as BD, Patagonia, and other brands plus I can get them for only $15. They have as much flexibility with additional knuckle padding and material on the palm that looks like it would work well with the tools. So let me know if you use gloves other than "ice climbing gloves" and let me know what you think.

shocker

Aug 19, 2003, 6:47 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Re: ice climbing gloves [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The best combination I've ever used is a really thin liner glove with thin leather work gloves treated with nikwax, with a warm pair of mitts or gloves for belays and approaches. Seriously, it works fantastic! Plus, ice gloves get trashed fast not only from the tools but more from placing screws. Leather work gloves are durable and can be replaced for 10 bucks. Treat them every few times you go out and you'll stay dry. Don't waste your money.

As for padded knuckles, this setup will help you learn really fast not to bash your hands. It promotes better technique.

crimsontime

Aug 19, 2003, 7:44 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gloves are NOT a good area to cut costs. One of the main problems when climbing ice is bashing your hands and keeping them warm enough to climb safely. Buy the best gloves available that fit you. I would say the same for screws, boots, and crampons. Buy the best you can get and cut costs elsewhere (you can cut costs on your jacket, pants, insulation much easier).

Partner tim

Aug 19, 2003, 7:47 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get the fluffiest warmest pair you can afford for approaches/belaying. if the $15 ones are waterproof and warm, use them.

get a pair of thin, stretchy, watertight gloves for leading. and think about going leashless. you can pretty much say goodbye to the barfies at that point.

shocker

Aug 19, 2003, 8:19 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
gloves are not a good area to cut costs

Why not? While you're leading your hands stay warm because you're using them, and as the previous poster mentions if you go leashless you can shake out all you want. The only time you need the best insulation is when you're belaying.

You shouldn't be bashing you knuckles anyway, it's poor form. Sure it happens every now and then, but it shouldn't be consistent. If you don't have padding you'll get better technique faster because it hurts like hell.

youmeanupthere

Aug 19, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the input. The FOX gloves I am looking at should be a good buy at $15. The knuckles are more or less reinforced with a stronger material for cycling crashes and not so much padded. They are also good enough to shed water and wind when cycling. These things cost as much as BD dry tool gloves at normal price. I even like their flexibility more than most "ice climbing" gloves that I have tried. I think I have made up my mind but I would really like to hear from anyone else who has some input.

hammer_

Aug 19, 2003, 9:22 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For wet conditions I use paddling gloves from MEC
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=676781&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=478515&bmUID=1061326130710
these gloves are made of 2mm neoprene so your hands will get wet but once they are they will stay warm even at -20C. these things have great dextarity so placing screws or tieing knots is not a hassle. You will want to wash these gloves every now and again becouse they smell rancid after a few uses. For mixed climbing if it is dry I use motocross gloves, a friend of mine uses gardening gloves with some sort of blue sticky rubber on the palms and fingers, they seem to work well also. For dry ice check out marmot or BD ice gloves just make sure they allow for dextarity. By the way never buy OR ice pro gloves they are way to fat in the fingers and wear out very quickly.

If you can save money on gloves do it, just remember that if your hands freeze up your hooped.

jackscoldsweat

Aug 19, 2003, 10:05 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is and idea....

Go to your local generic outdoor shop and ask for neoprene gloves normally used by Anglers during the winter months in cold water (Shimano is the brand I own). I droped 10 lousy dollars for mine. Neoprene is 100% waterproof with some insulation and padding. And acts just like a vapor barrier. Very flexible too. The palms are a sticky rubber. Pefect for gripping. I have a pair that it's fingers have cut slits that fold back allowing you to expose your fingers to work the teadious stuff like knot tying. Also the padding will help protect your knuckles against the bashing. And because they are so cheap tearing them up when placing screws is no big deal. Although they'll last you a couple of seasons. Next, purchase some thin capeline liners or the like for the wicking of sweat. During belays keep the liners on and switch off to some warmer mitts allowing for more warmth and drying of liners and hands...once you're back on lead...switch back to the neoprene and repeat.

JacksColdSweat

jackscoldsweat

Aug 19, 2003, 10:22 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You shouldn't be bashing you knuckles anyway, it's poor form. Sure it happens every now and then, but it shouldn't be consistent. If you don't have padding you'll get better technique faster because it hurts like hell.

Tell Mark Twight that knuckle bashing is poor form. In each of his books, he's mentioned that his hands have at times have been too swollen to even grip his axes. And he's as good as it gets.

JacksColdSweat

jtcronk

Aug 20, 2003, 3:08 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using the cheapo neoprene gloves for a couple years now and love them for roadside stuff. If you're on a bigger route and need more glove, the Patagonia Stretch Triolets have been great too. I've also heard that commercial, cold weather fishing gloves work well as well, and they also run about $10. Hope this helps....

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook