Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

texansherpa

Sep 27, 2003, 6:07 PM
Post #1 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

whey protein?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what does it do, bad side effects, opinions, effectiveness, any info at all? thanks

illimaniman

Sep 27, 2003, 6:40 PM
Post #2 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Re: whey protein? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's protein. It helps your body build muscle. There are no side effects to speak of.

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish and how you use it, it can be very effective at building muscle mass, helping you lose weight, etc.

Partner one900johnnyk

Sep 27, 2003, 6:51 PM
Post #3 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's protein. It helps your body build muscle. There are no side effects to speak of.

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish and how you use it, it can be very effective at building muscle mass, helping you lose weight, etc.

perfect. my suggestion ois to get "optimum nutrition" brand...

lazide

Sep 27, 2003, 7:46 PM
Post #4 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.allthewhey.com

Higher purity than most you find in the store, much cheaper, etc. I also find it tastes better (no extra additives).

When you buy it by the lb (or less!) in the store, most of what you pay is advertising, distribution costs (high in a retail enviroment), as well as pretty crazy profit margins.

If you find you actually use it regularly to supplement your diet, it is worth it to order it in bulk this way.

bananaman

Sep 27, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #5 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whey Protien is the best type of protien to use, but to be honest with you if you are looking to build muscles or get stronger and or lose fat for climbing, you need to get on some steriods. They beat the crap out of protien any day of the week. I have been injecting them into my finger tips every week and into my butt every other week. I am getting strong as hell!!!!! Trust me... Skip the soft crap (protien) and go straight for the good stuff. Best decision you will ever make.

bananaman

Sep 27, 2003, 9:16 PM
Post #6 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually scratch what I just said... I looked at your photo in your profile and you are already big as crap. Obviously you already know what I am talking about with shooting the juice in your tips.

Happy juicing!!!!!

nikdemeis

Sep 27, 2003, 9:45 PM
Post #7 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It will help you build muscle, gain more lean mass and lose fatty mass. Ther are two types of whey, Whey Protien Isolate (WPI) and Whey Protein Concentrate(WPC). WPI will get into your system within 10 minutes or so. This can be a side affect for people who are not used to taking protein supplements. It will cause you to rush to the bathroom in a like 15-20 minutes. I suggest if you are thinkging about taking whey to start with WPC for at least 6months to a year before moving on toe WPI (which is a better whey). They best time to take in whey is after your workout. You can gain a lot more mass with whey, its the single most important supplement if you want to do this. It is byfar the most proven supplement to gain mass and build muscle. I would recommend starting out with Designer Whey first before moving on to a WPI. Most wheys also contain certain Amino acids that your body needs to build muscle. Oh and i suggest chocolate whey, the others taste like terrible. I hope this is enought info for you if you want more just message me cause i got a lot more on it.

nik

naitch

Sep 28, 2003, 1:11 AM
Post #8 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about other types of protein powder such as rice and soy?

texansherpa

Sep 28, 2003, 1:38 AM
Post #9 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how soon do you see results, on average?

ropeburn

Sep 28, 2003, 1:44 AM
Post #10 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What about other types of protein powder such as rice and soy?

I've been using cheap old trader joe's soy protein powder for a while now. I think it works just fine, I've bulked up and wasn't really trying to (although I'll takes what I can gets). The stuff tastes a little like vanilla and is not that objectional, try it its only like ten bucks for a big ol' can.

Cheap + Working = Good

Oh yeah, check out this thread on the subject, as jay knows boatloads more than I.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37315

:mrgreen:

jt512

Sep 28, 2003, 4:01 PM
Post #11 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It will help you build muscle, gain more lean mass and lose fatty mass.

Baloney. It's protein. That's all. It's "benefits" are equivalent to a piece of chicken.

-Jay

drkodos

Sep 28, 2003, 5:46 PM
Post #12 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are different types of proteins......

headchop

Sep 28, 2003, 6:26 PM
Post #13 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you think you might be lactose intolerant, best to avoid the whey concentrate - go straight to the isolate. More expensive but no lactose. Beware of "isolate blend" since this is simply a blend of whey concentrate and isolate and can still have a fair amount of lactose.

I just recently switched over from whey to some soy protein isolate, just to try it out. Way cheaper but nasty chalky consistency and doesn't stay mixed with liquid very well. I think I'll spend the money and get some whey protein isolate.

Soy protein contains phytoestrogens which scares some guys - think they'll get teats or something.

chillenfish

Sep 28, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #14 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that protein is good, esp with maintaing and adding slowly. If you feel the need to get even bigger use either this new stuff called 1AD i belive or androstein. That shit will add on about 30-50 pounds of pure muscle in one cycle. :shock:

Partner one900johnnyk

Sep 28, 2003, 11:46 PM
Post #15 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Baloney. It's protein. That's all. It's "benefits" are equivalent to a piece of chicken.

-Jay

i think what he may have been getting at is that supplemental whey protein can be produced with very very few carbohydrates, calories, and/or fat. especially fat... my protein has very little fat in it so in this way it can help you build more lean mass (in conjugtion w/a proper workout regimen) ... maybe i just read too much into it..

opivy

Sep 29, 2003, 5:49 AM
Post #16 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The point of using whey protein is that it is the purist form of protein therefore it is absorbed into your body extremely quickly thus making it perfect for after working out and when you just wake up for other times of the day you should be using more slowly absorbed proteins such as milk. Also protein is the basic building block of muscle therefore if your trying to gain muscle you should be taking in a gram per bodyweight at least.

gravitytheory

Sep 29, 2003, 4:22 PM
Post #17 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, whey protein is absorbed most rapidly into your system, but on the same token it also leaves your system most rapidly. In order to have maximum benefit, you should take whey protein right after your workouts, but it should not be the only form of protein consumed. To constantly keep protein circulating in your system, take in other forms as well. Its sort of analogeous to consuming primarily complex carbs, but taking in simple ones to help bring up your body's stored glucose right after work outs. Another important thing to keep in mind is that most "studies" are done on supplement company funds, and they make a killing off of whey, as it is actually a waste product of the cheese industry. Bottom line: mix up your protein sources, and take whey right after work-outs.

freezerfrost

Sep 29, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #18 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to counter the misinformation above, the composition of whey protein results in slower intestinal motility. since the food product is in the gut for a longer period, it's purported to effect greater nutrient absorption. not faster. just more.

jt512

Sep 29, 2003, 5:14 PM
Post #19 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
to counter the misinformation above, the composition of whey protein results in slower intestinal motility. since the food product is in the gut for a longer period, it's purported to effect greater nutrient absorption. not faster. just more.

How much more can it be? We absorb ~90% of the protein we consume! Expensive protein supplements are a total waste of money. "Soy, the cheap stuff." Catchy sloagan, eh?

-Jay

wc

Sep 29, 2003, 6:23 PM
Post #20 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Jay

Actually, chicken is higher in Creatine than whey protien so you get the extra benefits of natural Creatine. Other great sources of Creatine include fish, turkey, and ejaculate.

My girlfriend is WICKED STRONG!

jt512

Sep 29, 2003, 7:30 PM
Post #21 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, chicken is higher in Creatine than whey protien so you get the extra benefits of natural Creatine. Other great sources of Creatine include fish, turkey, and ejaculate.

My girlfriend is WICKED STRONG!

As moderator of the Technique and Training forum, I officially encourage all female climbers to take this training tip seriously.

-Jay

lazide

Sep 29, 2003, 8:35 PM
Post #22 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, about soy protein being cheaper. Do you have any solid numbers? From looking around, for usable protein content, whey seems cheaper (gram for gram of protein). The products I have seen around here, you do get a lot more total weight of product with soy, but the actual protein content is much less (so you have to eat more).

Of course, I am getting whey protein at ~ $4.80 per lb of protein, which is hard to beat, but it seemed like even with uber-expensive 'designer' protein stuff at the super market, it was still not as clear cut of an advantage for soy when you really crunched the numbers.

also, any studies on the effects of phytoestrogens on us guys?

opivy

Sep 29, 2003, 11:23 PM
Post #23 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Umm no thats not true hince the reason you can drink some whey and be hungry in 10min your thinking of casen the kind of protien found in milk.

Partner one900johnnyk

Oct 1, 2003, 1:21 AM
Post #24 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

How much more can it be? We absorb ~90% of the protein we consume! Expensive protein supplements are a total waste of money. "Soy, the cheap stuff." Catchy sloagan, eh?

-Jay

i get whey protein b/c it's economical... for 10 lbs i pay 40 ducats. it is the cheapest way to get my protein - especially when i'm in a hurry, which i usually am...

cthcrockclimber

Oct 1, 2003, 1:54 AM
Post #25 of 42 (6043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whey protein is good, but isnt crap without a good diet to compliment it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook