RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

youmeanupthere

Oct 21, 2003, 8:46 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3208 views)
Shortcut

need input on tools asap
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am buying some tools and I want some anecdotal info and personal opinions. I am new to ice climbing (only been a handful of times on rented gear). I'm not sure if I will be doing more steep ice or alpine style ice. I would like to do both. My problem is that I have a choice between buying either a set of shrikes with obvious advantages in an alpine setting or I could get bd vipers with advantages on steep ice. Ideally I would buy the cobras but I am getting the most phenomanal deal on these two sets of tools. Even with my deal I can only afford one set of tools. What do you think??

edited for clarity. the only tools I can buy cheap are the vipers or the shrikes. The cobras are out of my price range

cjain

Oct 21, 2003, 9:33 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Re: need input on tools asap [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You may be able to find a good deal on the Cobras because I understand that BD is changing the design. I have the Cobras and love them.

scottharms

Oct 21, 2003, 10:14 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a good deal is hard to pass, but will they suit your purpose. I have the same dilemma with gear, you want it to be crossover but you end up not being happy on either side. The vipers are way more waterfall realated, not really functional for plunging etc with alpine. Cobras are the allarounder. Tough choice.
Cheers

andypro

Oct 21, 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the cobras. If you wanna do alpine ice/snow and dont wanna use the cobras for it, get one piolet and carry the cobra hammer with you for when needed. Granted it's still not the best hamnmer to use, but it's not the worst either. Problem solved.

youmeanupthere

Oct 22, 2003, 12:36 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for everybodys input. I wish I could get the cobras but I just dont have the money. I believe I am going to get the Shrikes. They seem to be a better all around tool and would suit my needs better. Most of the people I talked with commented on how difficult the vipers may be to use given that they tend to vibrate in the weakening hands of newbies which results in lots of glancing missed placements. Sounds like a tool for a more experienced ice climber who is doing more steep/mixed climbing than anything. Im still open to any input though. Im not going to buy until tomorrow.

fear

Oct 22, 2003, 1:48 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get something cheap, light, tough and that fits your grip and swing with a glove. Beyond that it's going to be a long time before you're held back by your tools.

Think of all the scary crap led with straight-shafted Hummingbirds and other modified carpentry tools....

Most people don't start on WI6 or hairy mixed stuff so don't think you'll need the tools for it right away.

-Fear

the_climber

Oct 22, 2003, 2:51 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with fear. I had been Ice Climbing off and on for a couple of years brfor I bought my first set of tools (DMM Fly's). If you're looking at a tool for a more allrounder, then the Shrike will likely be a good choice Although I do prefer a bent shaft on a tool over a bent grip myself, I have used bent gripped tools for many hard climbs, and also for many alpine climbs with no complaints. To bad the cobra are out of your price range :( . My experiance witth the vipers is that they are a great tool for hard mixed and steep ice, but thay don't do very well for plunging, and I found that I didn't like them as much for lower angled Ice. They are however a grat tool.
In short out of the choices
the alrounder, and good buy for a beginner - The shrike
The specialized steep tool - The Viper

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook