RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

xanx

Nov 20, 2003, 1:38 AM
Post #1 of 1 (810 views)
Shortcut

the perfect crash pad??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was reading that post about the cheap foam at JoAnn fabric... and it started me thinking about making my own pad... here are my ideas...
oh btw i climb in the Gunks, which has some much "less than perfect" landings to say the least... the two concerns with a bouldering fall are 1) height - u fall from 40 feet, it doesn't much matter how flat the landing is, u can still shatter your legs and 2) the landing - fall from 5' in and uneven talus field and you could be in a lot of trouble - twisted ankles, huge cuts up ur legs, ect....

so here is my idea: a medium or so sized pad (around the size of the metolious large pad) with 4.5" to 5" of foam (1" to 1.5" of closed cell, the rest open - play around to find the softest configuration). Of course, carpeting or some other rough texture on the top to clean ur shoes. Then, on the side i would have a fabric flap (like on the Cordless pads) so that i could attach another pad as well if needed. Of course, nice soft and durable/ adjustable straps, tough buckles, and all fabric denim or canvas or something really tough like that. Finally, on the sides of the pack i would have adjustable cynches (like slip knots, one at the top one at the bottom) through which i could put a rolled up piece of closed cell foam. This way, you would have a nice large piece of closed cell foam (maybe 1" or 3/4" thick) to spread like a tarp over the area - very helpful if you don't have an army of pads and spotters but need to cover a large area. this would basically equalize the landing, so if you landed between two sharp pieces of talus, you would hit the foam instead of having your leg slide down into them - see the talus to the left of this picture.

any other ideas??

thanks!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook