RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

crackboy

Dec 27, 2003, 4:32 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1366 views)
Shortcut

making a remote switch for a rebel
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey i was wondering if anyone had any experience making a remote control switch for a the cannon rebel? ease of doing so? should i just go out and buy the one they sell?

thanks

melekzek

Dec 29, 2003, 1:09 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1366 views)
Shortcut

Re: making a remote switch for a rebel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Which kind of remote switch you are talking about? I am asking, because the cable connector is called remote control RS-60E3 and there suppose to be a IR remote control as well (RC-1/RC-5), but this might be only on japan made models, according to here. Some of the universal remote controls could be used for that, but I could not do it on my rebel 2k, maybe it is the camera itself or the remote i tried, i am not sure.
Anyhow, I did build cable release control by myself. I could not find it locally and didnt want to wait for delivery. And I needed it fast, to shoot the perseids.
http://www.camerahacker.com/...n-out/pin_number.jpg
Here is the pinout, but it is also not that hard to figure out. Any standard 2.5 mm (sub-mini) audio jack works fine. I got a cheap microphone from a wireless store for 5$ or something (you can get the jack a lot cheaper if you look around, but I was in a hurry), and cut the microphone part, and used the jack and the cable. There is 3 cables, if you connect first two, it will autofocus, and when the third one is connected, it will release shutter. I connected 2 and 3 together, and add a switch between 1 and 23, causing the camera to autofocus and shutter release with only one button. I usually focus it beforehand, and leave the camera in manual focus, so I do not use autofocus with remote cable anyhow. I used a locking swtich, since I wanted to use it mainly for night photography.
One thing I should note that during B mode, the camera uses the battery constantly. If you want to use it for night photography, you should be aware of that, it drains the battery very.... very... fast.
Before I installed the switch, the night I bought the jack, I worked a whole night by attaching the cables, it is not nice, but if you are in a hurry, it works ok.

crackboy

Dec 30, 2003, 12:52 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think thats the one i saw that was commercially available., but i was hoping for something that had a lock especially for night photography. i saw one type of remote switch but it was for a nikon or something, and was wondering if anyone had done anything similar for the rebel

melekzek

Dec 30, 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess rebel and rebel 2K are using the same interface. Get a 2.5 sub mini audio jack, and attach a on/off switch to it, just like I did. As long as 1 is connected to 2 and 3 the shutter stays open in bulb mode. I plan to attach a timer switch for my next generation, :roll:
As I said earlier, be aware that during bulb mode, the camera drains the batteries, with or without remote cable.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook