RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Partner coylec

Feb 13, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #1 of 3 (856 views)
Shortcut

Technically Okay, Subjects Wacky
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know that this somewhere else, but I can't find it. Links appreciated.

My problem is that all my photos, while more than acceptable on technical grounds, tend to capture climbers looking absolutely ridiculous. I've got a roll of a friend -- i had to ask if he owned the shirt to verify it was him .. didn't even look like him. What's my problem?

coylec

skiclimb

Feb 13, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #2 of 3 (856 views)
Shortcut

Re: Technically Okay, Subjects Wacky [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

examples?

An obvious answer might be that you spent a great deal of effort making sure your lighting is good and your settings are correct and your timing is based on lighting not what your subject is doing.

Also when analyzing a photo it's easy to get your mental frame of reference out of whack to the point that all you see are problems.

rngrchad

Feb 13, 2004, 7:03 PM
Post #3 of 3 (856 views)
Shortcut

Re: Technically Okay, Subjects Wacky [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found by taking numerous shots of climbers in gyms, the best possible way to take shots is from above, or from the side. "Butt" shots are the inevitable when your stuck on the ground shooting up at the climber. If you've got extra rope rap' down and lock the belay off halfway up(or down depending how you look at it). of course this only works if you've got at least 3 or more guys/gals to climb with. Also...noteworthy, FUJI film speed 400 is ideal for shooting in the Fall when colors are abundant and light is more than ample. Kodak is much better for "drabber" settings with less color and less light. This is from my personal experiences and with all this, most of my pictures still leave something to be desired. I figure, if I get one good picture out of one roll....that was worth it.
Rngrchad

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook