RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

supasteve

Feb 20, 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1228 views)
Shortcut

supasteve 2/20
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i really like this picture, altough the quality on this specific version is not the greatest. i had a lot of problems with this because the original was fairly dark, i tried to photoshop it but i need work on that. disregarding the quality, id like some feedback

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=24686

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/photos/jump.cgi?Detailed=24686

steve

Partner coldclimb

Feb 20, 2004, 5:34 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Re: supasteve 2/20 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Besides the obvious color issues in the scan, my first thought would be to get the climber out of the center. If there were more rock and less sky, both the metering and the framing might have worked out better. The fact that the climb is in shade doesn't help much though. Cool pic, looks like fun. :D

krillen

Feb 20, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to to Photoshop a pic anyway, you might as well take two shots and mash them together. Take one metered off the rock, and the next metered off the sky. Then in Photoshop combine the two good sections. This way you are properly exposed for both.

Also with an overhaning route like this, it's unlikely you are going to get a good shot from that position. I know you are trying to use the rope as a leading line, but 99 times out of 100 you simply get a shadowed face and a big o' butt in the way.

merock

Feb 22, 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems kinda hard to be able to critique a photograph and not be able to talk about color issues. One of the things that makes a photograph "what it is" is going to be color, contrast, saturation etc. So with that out of the way...... I have tried this approach to photos alot, as a matter of fact, yesterday, and like krillen said, it hard to get this shot to look good because you're gonna get a "butt" shot. Which if it works, isn't a bad thing, the butt is part of the human body. (I am now on a quest to find the perfect climbing butt shot and have it rated at least a 9 on this site...... Could be another one of our ASSignments). The bolt on the forefront is distracting, you could clone it out in PS. The climber is dead center of the shot, try different cropping like having the climber at the top of the page so it makes him seem higher. You also have alot of deadspace in the image. All that sky seems like wasted space and could have been filled in with something more interesting. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with the quality of your scan. Just by cropping out some of the sky and some of the top rock, would really change the dynamics of this image.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook