RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

supasteve

Mar 31, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1395 views)
Shortcut

supasteve 3/31
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

what do you guys think of this one? personally i think i would have liked it better if he wasnt so close to the bolt, add an element of danger, however i liked this move better than the ones that i shot between bolts. also, do you think i should recenter the subject and crop some of it, or leave as is? thanks
steve

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=28472
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/photos/jump.cgi?Detailed=28472

krillen

Mar 31, 2004, 2:51 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Re: supasteve 3/31 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I'd crop out the dead space on the right side. About an inch or so from the bolt.

unabonger

Mar 31, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The right side is to dark, it wieghs down the picture.

The climber's dark hair and skin color is interesting because of the match with the rock. That could make for an interesting shot...but....There isn't much drama because we can't see where he's been, or where he's going. He could be 6 feet off the deck, or he could be 40. And his body position is a obscured. Too little of the climber is visible.

UB

merock

Apr 2, 2004, 4:47 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to have to agree with said comments.. the right side needs to be cropped in tighter, there's nothing going on in the rock, so it's just dead space. And there's not to much going on here, the pic seems kinda static, needs some action, something going on some dynamics to it. The compostion is good, the lighting on the subject is good, just doesn't scream at me. Also consider a polorizing filter or tweak some saturation in your sky. The landscape part of the image seems to be lacking saturation. Maybe you could have caught him in the next move too. His hands matched on the hold.... IDK maybe if he was reaching or striving for the next hold, it would have given it another element. It is a good clean pic though.

melekzek

Apr 7, 2004, 6:54 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also consider a polorizing filter

hmm, a polarizing filter would darken the sky, but it will also increase the contrast, and the image itself is already too contrasty. The classic problem of sunshine and shadow, which one to get correct and kill the other one. A graduated filter might do a better job, which you can simulate in PS.
It looks like you have some information in the shadow, you can resurrect it. I would also burn the sky a little. A quick play with ps look like this, you can do a better job
http://people.cs.tamu.edu/...905/critic/28472.jpg
Yet the main problem is that the left side is uninteresting/confusing. The climber is centered, and i go left and right and there is nothing to keep me interested there. I would either gone left with the scenery using a wider lens, or go to right and show the texture of the rock and climber. both options are overdone though....

merock

Apr 7, 2004, 7:46 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if you guys have it yet, but I highly recommend Photoshop CS (8). It actually has a shadow/highlight adjustment that works wonders for these types of shots ("the classic sunshine/shadow problems"). You can actually see a flash movie on this at adobe's website, it's pretty crazy. Good stuff.

melekzek

Apr 7, 2004, 8:15 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It actually has a shadow/highlight adjustment that works wonders for these types of shots ("the classic sunshine/shadow problems").
i compared the results, and as far as i can tell, it does more or less the same thing as contrast unmasking. it is always good to know, what happens behind the magic buttons :lol:
In reply to:
Check here for a very nice article and how-to.
you can do contrast unmask using any program supporting layers and blending (gimp, psp, etc)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook