Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shilo

Apr 16, 2002, 5:14 PM
Post #1 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Worst Injuries
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering whats the worst injury any of you have had while climbing, I got this lump that gets bigger and hurts like mad when i climb, well it hurts when i walk to abut thats bacsuse i smashed it, bu i was just curious.

dogen

Apr 17, 2002, 2:16 PM
Post #2 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Worst Injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i broke my ankle about a year ago. i fell while heel hooking a roof and took a funky 20 foot whipper. it still hurts sometimes when i climb.

estebandb

Apr 17, 2002, 4:20 PM
Post #3 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well not MY story, but my cousin's. He fell 12 feet(4 meters) landing with his arms. He broke 5 arms bones(out of 6), his wrist, punctured his lung and had water in it, and dislocated his right shoulder.
i know...that sucks...but he's back climbing...and he is only 14...call him whatever u want

jmlangford

Apr 17, 2002, 4:35 PM
Post #4 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shilo, You worry me! Exactly what "lump" got smashed?!

shilo

Apr 20, 2002, 6:35 PM
Post #5 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry i didn't explain properls the first time i ran into a cemented sandstone wall and smashed my knee (it was pitch black and i was runnind at full speed) it was only just over knee height it just sepperated 2 levels and i went right over it and smashed my head on a rock, it didnt bleed just hurt like hell but ay the end of the night the knee was about the size of a small football, and i was campint in december and i had built my own shelter, i only just recently went to the docter, he said if it still hurts, i'm going to have to have some sort of scan. The lump is behind the knee joint i appered when i was skiing 3 weeks ago and its about the size of a whallnut now, but it can get the size of a golf ball. The knee has been hurtin on and of since i smashed it thow.

[ This Message was edited by: shilo on 2002-04-20 11:39 ]

mothman

Apr 23, 2002, 8:37 PM
Post #6 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude that is probably serious, i have had the same problem for two years. it was diagnosed as costochondritis, it all started in a rock gym, and it is a serious problem. i seriously hope you dont have it, hope that helps?

mothman

Apr 23, 2002, 8:51 PM
Post #7 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the worst injury i have ever had, i tore the rib and cartilage off of my breast bone. i did this in a rock gym a little more than two years ago, and i still have it, it was diagnosed as costochondritis. it still hurts me when i climb, and really limits how high i can climb. it is a serious injury though, when i climb or do anything else accertive i get a lump about the size of a base ball in the center of my chest. it is also on the inside of my chest and has shrunk the size of my stomach. the lump is really only inflamed hard cartilage, but it causes me immense pain.

holygecko

Apr 24, 2002, 3:15 PM
Post #8 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no climbing injuries climb safe be happy

belayd

Apr 27, 2002, 5:39 AM
Post #9 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Broke my ankle bouldering at HP40 in Alabama about 3 months ago. Hit the edge of the crash pad when I fell and the ankle just kept going. Words to the wise: make sure the rock is clean.

climberchic

May 3, 2002, 1:37 AM
Post #10 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Torn ACL in both knees and torn miniscus in my right.

Reconstructive ACL surgery and miniscus repair on right knee in Sept '01 and reconstructive ACL on left in Nov '01.

Didn't get it all fixed. My right knee is locked at about 90 degrees due to a missed miniscus tear, so they have to go back in (arthroscopically(sp?)) when I feel like being laid up AGAIN.

kennoyce

May 3, 2002, 3:54 AM
Post #11 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one time i scraped my knee, and this once i sprained my ankle when i fell, i just swung into the rock and hit my ancle wierd.

mrhardgrit

May 4, 2002, 3:57 PM
Post #12 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well...it's not exactly a climbing injury... nor is it the worst injury - but still, it hurts bad.

I've been out slacklining this afternoon on a super tight 45/50 ft line. Anyway the line is joined in the middle with a locking biner (yeh, i know it's stupid...) and story is i fell off and yes, guess what happened - the little bugger swung up full pelt into my funny bone on my elbow - that is what i call PAIN!! I've now have an almost perfect bright red bruise in the shape of a DMM Locker.... Nice!! Oh, and i have no feeling in my smallest two fingers (nerve compression i feel...)

climber_trev

May 6, 2002, 3:58 AM
Post #13 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my more experinced climbing partners broke his neck in a climbing accident about ten years ago, not sure about the details, but i had to do with a dodgy belayer ... i don't know who. But he stopped climbing for 8 years and now is back into it!

when he told me i thought he was joking, but hay!

see ya

climber_trev

Partner tim

May 6, 2002, 4:07 AM
Post #14 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, climbing, the worst injury I've had was a shattered finger (3 pins) when I took a 35 footer on aid. That was dumb -- kids, don't run out of 1/4" webbing to tie off KBs in shitty vertical cracks, mmmkay?

Separated my shoulder this past fall biking -- crossed up a landing on my road bike as I was hurrying across town. The cops called me an ambulance but I ended up refusing it since they were going to cart me off to DC General (no point going there unless you have a gunshot wound) so I did a walk-in to GW.

Trashed various joints wrestling and doing judo, mostly fingers and toes. Broke a few bones (hand, foot, ankle) playing football. Torn ACL from soccer. A few concussions...

I think that, overall, the finger and the separated shoulder tie for goriest and most memorable. The finger was particularly nasty since not only was it a spiral fracture, but also a dislocation, which the ER doctor was shocked and horrified to find out I had reduced on-site. The miracle of Vicodin!
(Vicodin + Duct Tape == First Aid Kit)

beyond_gravity

May 6, 2002, 4:24 AM
Post #15 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I havent had any bad climbing injurys...but you should hear my skateboarding, eh?

Lets see...I've gone down a 32 foot lanch ramp and hit my knee dead on the corner of a ledge...i've done a 6-foot drop to knee snap, Backside Rodeo head smash (luckily i had my helmet on!) Oh yes, my fav...attempted Boardslide down the handrail of a a 10 set...of course I bailed and gave myself the canning of a lifetime...OUCH!!!!!!!

crux_clipper

May 6, 2002, 10:32 AM
Post #16 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen a photo of a guy who fell and smashed his head against the rock. It put a huge hole in his forhead. He doesn't seemed very phased in the photo though.....maybe it's the morphine setting in

needtolearnhowtoclimb

May 7, 2002, 2:45 AM
Post #17 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My worst injury related to climbing would be when i hurt my tailbone bouldering. I was working a overhang on sandstone when the hold i had my hands on just snapped off the rock and i landed square on my tailbone.

benfieldj

May 11, 2002, 5:34 PM
Post #18 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a fall about 6 years ago and broke my ankle and ripped several of the ligaments. It still swells and hurts prety much all of the time but I still climb 10c trad and run ultra marathons, I am very lucky. I wish you luck with your injury.

spremegoat

May 11, 2002, 5:47 PM
Post #19 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personally the worst injuries are the ones that keep you away from climbing...I separated my shoulder in a lacrosse game and the worst part is not the pain but the fact that every time i look at my home wall (or pass a rock or and textured vertical surface) i can't get on it (AHH!!) i think i'm gonna have to learn 1 armed climbing if it doesn't heal soon

jdcox_9

May 11, 2002, 8:17 PM
Post #20 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i haven't had any real serious injuries, just some tweaked tendons and ligaments and a severely bruised heel. i would say that i am very lucky

tupper-ware
Deleted

May 19, 2002, 2:02 PM
Post #21 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well mine was not as bad as some, but i was climbing the ramp and the gym i go to and got to the top and wanted to take a BIG whiper and my partener let out at least 6 arm loads and i ended up falling 6 feet above the ground. doesn't sound that bad right? but the landing didn't go as planed i bounced and the rope smacked me in the face. i had just gotten my braces on. my partener lowerd me and when i got to the ground it felt like i was caught to something, my lip was ALL caught in my braces, it was a nasty sight. i had to rip my mouth away from my braces. now i have a perminit fat lip.
oh well, it was funny lol
cheers.

k2exp2010

May 19, 2002, 4:26 PM
Post #22 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey estebandb, what did your cousin do to nurture that dislocated shoulder? I dislocated mine a while ago and gave it enough time to heal before doing anything serious. I'm thinking about reconstructive surgery to bring it back to 80% of its original strength.

Partner iclimbtoo

May 19, 2002, 5:28 PM
Post #23 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My worst injury? Well, I was out in Colorado, freesoloing some 14.c or d. I got to a really tough move, about 200 feet up. So, I whipped out my boltgun (just like the one in cliffhanger) and pounded in a hold. I then proceeded to attempt the roof. I was in the middle of a traverse move (like the one in MI2) when my shoulder dislocated and I fell. Since I was facing out, I dove headfirst towards the ground...thank goodness I left my pack down below...I landed on that and walked away...

Okay, realistically? I've never had a climbing injury...well, nothing big. Banged and bruised tailbones, cut up hands, nothing worth noting. I think that says one of two things though...1) I'm not climbing hard enough, or 2) I need to climb harder.

jhump

May 22, 2002, 5:00 PM
Post #24 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, just right. Climb safe.

sparky

May 31, 2002, 4:19 AM
Post #25 of 29 (7284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I broke my tail bone snowboarding, I tried to climb about a month later because i didn't think it was broken anymore. Well, long story short, i took a pretty good whip and found out the hard way my tail bone was still broken.not a bad injury but the most painful thing i've ever done.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook