Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Possible source of revenue ($$$) for RC.com ???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

boretribe

Apr 22, 2002, 2:51 AM
Post #1 of 2 (651 views)
Shortcut

Possible source of revenue ($$$) for RC.com ???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On my way back from bouldering at Horse Flats (shameless plug for my favorite local bouldering area) I had an idea for creating additional revenue for RC.com.

Each climbing area has a section for ‘Books and References’ if links were set up from the books listed in this section to an online book retailer RC.com would get a cut of that books sale price. Amazon.com has it’s Associates Program in which RC.com could get up to 15% of the sales price. Barnes and Nobel has a similar program, it’s Affiliate Network works pretty much the same way. Both of these are free to set up and maintain. The title of the book basically becomes a link to the selling site, like this. RC.com could go even further and set up an online (virtual) bookstore, at some point, in which members could recommend or review books (guides, technique, climbing stories etc.)

I do have a problem with giving more business to corporate monopolies and would much rather spend my money at local bookstores and climbing shops. I do feel, however, that this could be very useful for someone who is planning on travelling to another area that might not be represented in his or her local shop.

Although I know nothing about the coding for this site, or PHP for that matter, I would be willing to spend at least 3 hours a week working on finding the appropriate links for books already listed on this site. If others volunteered a few hours, especially for the routes and areas to which they already contribute, I think this could be up and running pretty quickly and might turn a little profit over time.

Any comments or other ideas?

edited to fix bad html

[ This Message was edited by: boretribe on 2002-04-21 19:53 ]

Partner russman

Apr 22, 2002, 3:44 AM
Post #2 of 2 (651 views)
Shortcut

Possible source of revenue ($$$) for RC.com ??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Geoff...

Good thought. I have brought this up with Trevor before. I guess he used to do this, kinda (before I was around here )

Anywho, I was going to sign us up and start doing it...until I got into it and it needed all sorts of Owners stuff an all. At least you brought the topic up agian and put it back in our thoguhts. Thanx man.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook