RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

berserker45

Jun 15, 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Build it yourself practice rock??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just watched a semi educational rockclimbing video... Sounds strange but I thought it was just climbing footage but this guy was talking about techniques and such.

Anyway at one point they show a picture of this guy's back yard and he has this big climbing wall made from ply-wood and rocks him and his roommate found and epoxied on. they also put two pieces of wood next to each other to create a crack.

They just made a real easy route that you can't change but the idea is its like a quick work out. So instead of going running they just do laps on their climbing wall.

My question is does anyone have like a schematic or know where i could get one on how to build a safe thing like that. I don't exactly trust my carpentry skills to build a climbing wall. Thanks!

climber15

Jun 15, 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Re: Build it yourself practice rock?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont know much myself but the latest rock and ice (bouldering issue) has info on building a wall

Partner beanricecheese

Jun 15, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can find info all over the net and this site about building a climbing wall. Check out the Indoor Gyms forum... lots of info there. This is also a cool post somone put up with some good pictures of a handful of wall construction, etc, etc.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63139

I haven't built a wall myself but you will need at least a basic amount of carpentry skills to make sure the wall doesn't fall on you or not be sturdy, etc. This is a trade that many people know and I am sure you can find a bud that would help you out just to make sure you don't do anything really stupid. Read the posts, search the forums, search google and you will get a good start. I plan on making my own once I get a house with yard or enough room inside (my single room apartment ain't gonna do it right now).

I am sure many more posts will be added to with better links so keep your eyes opened. This question has been asked a bunch and there is info everywhere... just look. Good luck.

-Jaime

survivalexpert

Jun 15, 2004, 1:28 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont think this dude is asking just about building a wall, what he's wondering is whether anyone has used real pieces of rock and any sort of glue or epoxy to hold them onto plywood instead of screw-in or bolt-on plastic and wooden holds. I'd bet super strong glue would surely work to make a bouldering wall with real rock chunks.

Partner okie_redneck

Jun 15, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't have to be a construction worker to build a home wall. There is nothing really complicated about it. Just be sure to measure twice and cut once, like the old saying gos. I spent more time thinking about how I'd build my wall then actually building it (at work, of course :lol: ).
http://www.magma.ca/~onsight/build.htm and http://www.indoorclimbing.com are good places to start. You might want to buy Building Your Own Indoor Climbing Wall by Falcon Press.
There is an entire forum dedicated to indoor climbing here on this site. You should read through all of the threads there and then ask questions within that forum (your reply will go to the top of the list). A lot of people here will just ignore you if you don't because some questions have been asked a gazillion times.

berserker45

Jun 15, 2004, 2:00 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually the epoxy thing would probably just be a hassle in case I wanted to switch it up. I think I would only use real rock if I was really apposed to synthetic holds. Which I am not. Thanks for the sites I am pretty psyched to build one of these.

Thanks!

rockclimber057

Jun 15, 2004, 4:50 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would use caution with the epoxy. I thought I had read in the past that holds epoxied to plywood could shear off under force. The rocks stay glued to the plywood but the top layer of wood tears away from the layers underneath. Good luck with any projects you decide to work on.
Dave

overlord

Jun 15, 2004, 5:58 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

youd be better off building a regula woodie wit tnuts and bolts.

josephine

Jun 15, 2004, 7:06 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2035 views)
Shortcut

josephine moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

josephine moved this thread from General to Indoor Gyms.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook