RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

gritgirl

Jul 5, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

These bruises have got to go!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need help! I've been working on a particularly hard overhang problem (really more like a roof) and to get any leverage to move my hands, I have been using knee bars wedged against the gritstone roof nearly the entire way across. Because of that I look like somebody has been beating me on the knees with a hammer. I usually don't mind as it goes with the territory but sometimes a girl wants to wear a skirt without receiving looks of disgust from passers-by. The other problem is that I haven't cracked this problem so it looks like this will continue until I do (and I'm really determined to get finish the damn thing!)
So, am I doing it all wrong or do we all look like a bit of tenderized meat at the end of the day? Does anyone have any ideas about cracking overhangs & saving skin or maybe just some ideas about how to better treat and lessen bruises. Any help would be appreciated.

jumpingrock

Jul 5, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Re: These bruises have got to go! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Knee pads?

I don't have any specific advice on brands but I do know that Tommy Cadwell uses knee pads for these types of climbs.

beth23

Jul 6, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone have any ideas about cracking overhangs & saving skin or maybe just some ideas about how to better treat and lessen bruises. Any help would be appreciated.

If you want to lessen bruises try using Arnica. It's homeopathic and you can get it at most health food stores. Comes in a gel you can rub directly on the bruise as well as tablets that dissolve in the mouth. It is typically rubbed on the skin to soothe and heal bruises, sprains, and relieve irritations from trauma, arthritis and muscle or cartilage pain. I used it for the first time last month after my doctor recommended it when I got a nasty bruise right on my hamstring that was deep enough it affected the muscle. Broke up the bruise in record time. Good luck, hope it works for you.

rokstahr39

Jul 6, 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I would say, from experience... they call me bruiser... if you've got bruises, show them proudly. I had a huge, almost black bruise on my knee, and wore a skirt above my knees. I had a probly like a dozen ppl offer me makeup for it... as if! Seriosly, they can be a conversation starter, and you have to admit, they're pretty cool! Painful yes, but hey... many guys have started talking to me over the bruises on my legs...hehe :lol: Sry I couldn't help. but thats my opinion

katydid

Jul 6, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you bruise easily anyway, make sure you're getting enough vitamin C in your diet. Outside of that, I'd second the kneepads.

k.

mother_sheep

Jul 6, 2004, 8:14 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My older son says to me last night, "Mom, if you wanno go somewhere fancy in a skirt, you're gonna have to. . .well. . .I don't want to hurt your feelings. . .fix your legs."

I have no advice to offer but we all, or a lot of us feel your pain.

tal

Jul 7, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm proud of my bruises too :) cause i almost always have them from doing somthing i love, like rockclimbing or rugby

kimmyt

Jul 7, 2004, 1:34 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

or giving head.

:shock: Just kidding.

Anyway, I too have the same 'problem'. Wore a skirt into work for the first time in forever. Didn't think about it at all, it was the weekend after I had gone to the GUnks, and I always get very bruised when I'm there. So I'm walking around at work all day, and people are looking at me odd. I realize then that people probably aren't used to seeing girls wearing classy black skirts and nice tops and heels with legs that are covered with nasty welts and scrapes and bruises. No stockings for moi!

Didn't bother me much after that, I was just glad that I knew what they were staring at.

k.

honeybee

Jul 7, 2004, 1:08 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am so with you right now.

I've found that when my iron level dips, I become quite easily anaemic. apart from zapping my energy levels, I bruise very very easily (don't know if its just a coincidence). so the slightest wee tap and I'm black and blue.

my left knee is currently covered the from just below it to about four inches above it in loads of big black, blue and yellow bruises. they are so ugly. not a bother usually but got a date tonight with a cute (non-climber) lad and have got nothing but a skirt to wear (lost 2 stone and my wardrobe doesn't fit me anymore, boy I need paid more).

how do you explain to this guy, no really I'm not a freak, my profession is totally legal. just spent my lunch running round madly trying to find something, but its bloody summer so it's all skirts and shorts. going to have to go with the butch in a pink skirt look tonight. sniff.

crazygirl

Jul 7, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you know, they make skirts with hemlines below the knee.

wanderinfree

Jul 8, 2004, 2:29 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the up side, the bruises make your office take you much more seriously. Not unlike 'Fight Club,' I suppose. 8^)

In my job, I'm constantly having to fight my office's mistaken impression that I should be someone who doesn't like to get dirty, want to be outdoors, or handle the rougher situations in life. Nothing helps remind them quite like crossing my legs with a skirt on and having them see the bruises covering my knees, or the nicks all over my hands from crack climbs.

rokstahr39

Jul 8, 2004, 8:22 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ooh, i'm gonna take a poll. it's gonna be about bruises on women, do guys think they're hott? In general

frenznhiplaces

Jul 8, 2004, 2:07 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously!

And let's talk about nails! The way that the skin around the nails - how it gets all ratty from jamming your fingers in those tight little holds and the amount of time it takes to get back to being all [violet]prettified [/violet] after a climb!

Reeeally. How labour instensive is THAT?

:wink:

How about a post about all the "nibblers" out there? Those that cut and those that chew. Hmmm...There's some skin for thought.

:lol:

Serious issues wo-man. :D

zenobia

Jul 8, 2004, 2:35 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I must admit it has made me feel alot better reading this discusson thread. I have the same problem with the bruising and sometimes cuts or scrapes from climbing. I have never talked about it with anyone before or admitted it bothers me sometimes. I'm going to try the Arnica supplement and vitamin C. That sounds great and like it might work real well for me. I'm more into alternative remedies and I'm not about to give up the climbing or outdoorsy stuff. My Doc saw them once not long ago and was ready to send me to see a Hematologist it was so bad and covered so much of my extremities. Said I may have a clotting disorder. I told him I didn't want to hear about it.

rokstahr39

Jul 8, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the bruise poll... and ignore the negative posts :wink:

kbearchk

Jul 8, 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get bruises on the thigh just above the knee. Most of the time I don't even know how I got them. I like to wear capris to minimize knee trauma when I climb.

Funny bruise poll. I think I'll go get 'banged up' some more to be sexy.

granite_grrl

Jul 8, 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I seem to remember getting brused a lot more when I first got into this sport than I do now. Either I learned to be a little more carful (though I trip over my own feet on a regular basis, so I'm not sure on that), so I just don't care as much now.

For bruises from kneebarring I'll second the longer skirt option if you're worried about what others think. Mind you mini-skirts seem to have come into fashion, but just how partical are the dran things anyways!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook