RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Partner cracklover

Aug 13, 2004, 8:53 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Cracklover 8-13-2004
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The name of the game is: What's Wrong With This Photo?

I felt like it came out quite nicely for a scan off a print (and no photoshopping), but it's one of my lower rated photos. So, aside from the fact that it's a photo of a toproper, what's wrong?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=29349

As always, Thanks!

GO

biff

Aug 13, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cracklover 8-13-2004 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is what takes away from the photo:

The trees are alittle distracting
The Sky is too white
There is too much butt in the photo.

It is hard to get a good photo of a climber when you are at the crag to climb, but every once in a while one turns out.

I think this is an above average photo .. the climbers face is visable, and (s)he is doing a fairly interesting highstep / mantle type move which is good.

climbsomething

Aug 13, 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not so much "wrong," but what is that rope to the right of the climber doing? Is it just an extra unoccupied TR or rap line?

Nothing is "wrong" with this pic per se. It's technically sound. But the scene is just, well, average. Part of the appeal of looking at climbing pics is being able to project or imagine something you don't see in your everyday crag adventures. That can mean getting a certain angle, capturing an engaging facial expression or spooky runout, or creating a certain artistic interpretation, or going to an exotic-looking location.

This is a scene most of us could easily catch, which may be why it's not particularly overwhelming or grabbing anybody.

Partner cracklover

Aug 16, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All the above comments make sense. In response:

what is that rope to the right of the climber doing?
That's the belayer side of the TR setup on which the climber's climbing.

Re - uninteresting scene: 1 - I had thought while taking the photo that the image of climber just past (and still mentally engaged with) a big roof, would add drama. That did not happen. 2 - It's nothing I was aiming for, but I think the greyish sky, the bare trees, and something about the general light makes the pic look just slightly ominous, and I like that. But perhaps no-one else sees that.

Re - too much butt: I'll take that up with the "talent". ;)

It is hard to get a good photo of a climber when you are at the crag to climb

Actually, I had soloed up next to the roof, built an anchor, and hung there for the specific purpose of taking shots from that vantage point. But the purpose of the body behind the camera should be irrelevant. If it's a good angle, it's a good angle. I assume by your above statement that it looks like a lousy angle - like one you'd get if you happened to be at the base of the crag. So I'll take that criticism.

Here's what I think is wrong:

1 - The photo lacks drama. Solution: Maybe darken the sky to bring out that ominous look?

2 - I think the tree in the lower left of the frame is too strong. Solution: Crop it out.

3 - The belayer end of the rope is distracting. Solution: photoshop it out.

4 - Looks like a buttshot from below. Solution: Put this aside and take a different photo?

GO

unabonger

Aug 16, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think composition-wise its not bad at all. Even butt shots can be interesting--in this case, the movement is nice and the climbers attentive gaze adds emotion. Good timing.

The upper left is too washed out. Blue sky needed. Also its hard to tell but is the focus a bit off? The foot looks sharp but the face doesn't?

The single biggest problem is the drama thing. If the guy were soloing it would be a damned worthy shot.

UB

Partner taino

Aug 16, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The name of the game is: What's Wrong With This Photo?

I felt like it came out quite nicely for a scan off a print (and no photoshopping), but it's one of my lower rated photos. So, aside from the fact that it's a photo of a toproper, what's wrong?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=29349

As always, Thanks!

GO

Is that Molly, and does she know she's being critiqued? :wink:

Between the washed-out sky and the darkness of the rock in the lower right, my eyes seem to have trouble focusing on the talent. Perhaps if the shot was more of a profile than from below, you'd still get the intensity of the talent's gaze, but maybe the rest of the distractions would be lessened?

T

Partner cracklover

Aug 16, 2004, 6:57 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is that Molly, and does she know she's being critiqued? :wink:

Between the washed-out sky and the darkness of the rock in the lower right, my eyes seem to have trouble focusing on the talent. Perhaps if the shot was more of a profile than from below, you'd still get the intensity of the talent's gaze, but maybe the rest of the distractions would be lessened?

T

It is indeed Molly. She's not really being critiqued, just the photo. But she does know I put the photo online.

Here's another version. I may have overdone the sky, such that it looks like there are nearby wildfires(!) but you get the idea.

I think that both cropping in on the lower left and the and removal of the second rope improve the pic. Agree?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=38049

Oh, and yes mr. bonger, I think the focus may be slightly off.

Thanks, as ever, for all the feedback!

GO

Partner cracklover

Aug 16, 2004, 7:00 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, looks like I over-wrote the original pic. :(

Will try to fix.

GO

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook