RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

yoginisrock

Aug 26, 2004, 7:07 PM
Post #1 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Extended hanging belays and peeing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This past weekend I was doing some aid climbing with my boyfriend when I heard nature's inevitable call. We were already 4 pitches up so there was no way I was going back down. We still had another pitch to go, which would have been no problem if we were climbing trad, but one aid pitch can take hours for a beginner. We had a pee bottle in the haul bag, but that wasn't really an option for me as I was in a belay seat with a 70m rope draped across my lap. Unlike a guy, I obviously couldn't just whip it out and put it in a bottle. I ended up having to hold it for two very uncomfortable hours.

Anyone out there been in this situation and how did you solve the problem of peeing while on a hanging belay?

Partner holdplease2

Aug 26, 2004, 7:26 PM
Post #2 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Re: Extended hanging belays and peeing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do this allllll the time.

Of course, since this is an aid climb you are belaying with a grigri. Tie a backup knot kind of far out and go hands-free for a minute.

First - wear pants that are easy to unfasten and pull down without much squirming. Maybe even pants a size too big.

Drop the elastic on your leg loops (if you can, and scoot the leg loops further down your legs. Bringing your knees up closer to your chest helps.

Pull your pants down over your butt and put your feet against the wall in front of you. Hold onto the back of your pants from the front so you know for sure they won't be catching any of the waterfall.

If you are at a belay ledge or there are climbers below, use a pee bottle so that you don't create urine stink or give anyone a nice shower.

The whole key really is scooting the leg loops down far enough soas to not soak the back of your pants.

Put the rope loops over a sling for a minute if you feel it is necessary, or better yet, use a rope bag to begin with.

-Kate.

jt512

Aug 26, 2004, 8:44 PM
Post #3 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Of course, since this is an aid climb you are belaying with a grigri. Tie a backup knot kind of far out and go hands-free for a minute.

First - wear pants that are easy to unfasten and pull down without much squirming. Maybe even pants a size too big.

Drop the elastic on your leg loops (if you can, and scoot the leg loops further down your legs. Bringing your knees up closer to your chest helps.

Pull your pants down over your butt and put your feet against the wall in front of you. Hold onto the back of your pants from the front so you know for sure they won't be catching any of the waterfall.

If you are at a belay ledge or there are climbers below, use a pee bottle so that you don't create urine stink or give anyone a nice shower.

The whole key really is scooting the leg loops down far enough soas to not soak the back of your pants.

Put the rope loops over a sling for a minute if you feel it is necessary, or better yet, use a rope bag to begin with.

-Kate.

I'm willing to be that this is the most detailed explication of this procedure ever written.

-Jay

granite_grrl

Aug 27, 2004, 11:38 AM
Post #4 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

-Kate.

I'm willing to be that this is the most detailed explication of this procedure ever written.

-Jay

Yes, but very useful!! Ladies on the rock can't alway be perfect ladies (actually it's rare that we're overly lady like). Thanks Kate!

Partner holdplease2

Aug 27, 2004, 7:14 PM
Post #5 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps we should take a closer look at our definition of the word "lady."

I'll start:

If you can piss in a hanging belay and not catch more than 20% of the flow with the back of your pants, you can call yourself a lady.

If you can sh*t into a brown paper lunch bag and only miss one time out of 10, you can call yourself a lady.

However, if you choose to hold said brown paper bag in your teeth while returning your pants to their upright and locked position, you have my respect, but you are probably not a lady. ;)

If you can hold a conversation with your climbing partner while they fail to achieve either of first two listed objectives without missing a beat, you can call yourself the queen of the ladies.

:)

-Kate.

shakylegs

Aug 27, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #6 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's no lady, that's my climbing partner.

Don't mind me, I'll go back to Community now.

maculated

Aug 28, 2004, 1:36 AM
Post #7 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And that post is why I love Holdplease2.

That said . . . you can also train in terms of avoidance of urination emergencies. I used to be nicknamed the camel because I can go FOREVER without urinating if I have to.

I hike without water, I run without water, and I had the benefit of being one of those anal rentitive kids during potty training. if you work at it, you can expand your bladder and find a balance of water intake versus outgo.

Obviously not a good plan if you're doing something gnarly for extended periods of time, but I've NEVER once had a pee emergency in the four years I've been climbing, and I've been harnessed up and climbing for over 12 hours.

daphna

Aug 31, 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #8 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Years ago I saw an ad for a whizzie, a folding I think cardboard thing designed for women to pee standing up
I haven't been in this situation nor have I used a whizzie though I wanted to try it

Partner holdplease2

Aug 31, 2004, 6:09 AM
Post #9 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Daphna:

I have used a couple of variations of this product, such as the "Lady Loo"

They work OK, but they are an extra bit of crap to carry around and are messy after use. They are also a bit messy to use, as the recepticle that you pee into basically fills up, soaking "you", if you know what I mean. I was warned by a climbing partner but still underestimated the unpleasantness of this.

However, if you don't want folks in el cap meadow examining your anatomy with spotting scopes and high powered lenses, its probably the best option available.

-Kate.

moongoddess50

Sep 1, 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #10 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh lordy, maculated you're heading for a world of trouble if you continue to "stretch" out your bladder....speaking as a nurse who also learned to hold it....ie....16+ hour shifts....let me tell ya' a "floppy" bladder is no fun as you get a bit older..... :shock:

Partner holdplease2

Sep 2, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #11 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, yes, holding it in...

Bad things can happen in the long run if you hold in your urine on a regular basis.

The walls of the bladder contain a web-work of muscles and fibers. Lace your fingers together...this is what it looks like.

When you hold a large volume for long periods on a regular basis, these muscles and fibers begin to hypertrophy, or enlarge, from the work. They are working to protect the integrity of your bladder.

Two things can then happen:

1) Portions of your bladder wall can begin to poke through the muscle bundles...like a baloon would poke through your fingers. (This can be seen in men with BPH, or enlarged prostate, which constricts the urethra and is not so likely to happen from just "holding it in".) These pouches are essentially weaknesses in the walls of your bladde. They can retain urine and lead to infection.

2) The muscle hypertrophy and the stretching of the connective tissue in the bladder wall eventually impair your bladder's ability to empty completely when you void (pee).

This is important. The urine which remains in the bladder can stagnate, making you prone to recurring bladder and eventually kidney infections. nooooot gooood.

So there you have it.

If any 'real' medical folks have any corrections or additions to the above, they are welcome. This is just the best of my understanding of what can happen.

-Kate.

edited for clarity...obviously not for spelling. ;)

maculated

Sep 2, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #12 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, my holding it in is a gift from being a text-book anal retentive kiddo. Lots of bladder infections whenI was a kid, and now I have a huge bladder. I just know you can "grow" it when you consider the women out there with tiny ones that need to pee every five minutes.

Partner holdplease2

Sep 2, 2004, 7:02 PM
Post #13 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With your bladder skills, Maculated, you will pee mass quantities on the wall! Just make sure the wind is blowing the right direction, which is neither up nor towards me!

There has been nothing more educational for me than spending days on a wall alone with my bodily functions.

What I've figured out is this...I don't pee very often, but when I decide I want to go, it has to be RIGHT NOW. This probably comes from 'working' from home. I can go whenever I want...no waiting.

I have peed from some kinda scary aid placements, in an unprotected chimney (avoided the walls on the way down, of course), while cleaning a pitch, and at least 50 times hanging in space.

One particular wall partner witnessed my ability to pee 50 feet directly horizontal. Her commment? "nice work!" :lol: Now thats a wall partner.

-Kate.

iamthewallress

Sep 2, 2004, 9:12 PM
Post #14 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One particular wall partner witnessed my ability to pee 50 feet directly horizontal. Her commment? "nice work!" :lol: Now thats a wall partner.

I was trying to look away from you, but that direction happened to be into the wind...It's hard to see pee flying dead horizontal toward the horizon without commenting...even if you're supposed to pretend that you're on another planet or something when you're partner is doing such things.

This is going to sound really gross, but while I aim to avoid it, I've kind of gotten over worrying about the tourists seeing me pee or the nature of those drops that find their way onto me while I'm cleaning a pitch. After the first few ill timed updrafts, I guess I realized that it wasn't going to kill me.

I try to hold it until I'm in the followers position and then I just drop trou and do what I have to do. When I'm leading, I find that adrenaline takes care of me not having the inclination.

My real secret for long day climbs, however, is dehydration. I tend to prefer to go on the light side...which means that if I need to pee while climbing (except down low when it would be from my pre-climb tank-up) I've brought too much water. Many with disagree with this way of doing things...I think you just have to learn what works for your own body.

If I try to hold it too much I get bladder infections. No fun.

dalguard

Sep 3, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #15 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also aim for dehydration. Doesn't seem to have killed me yet.

slobmonster

Sep 3, 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #16 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First and foremost, on an early Friday evening, sun almost down, no dinner yet... this is the best post ever. This week.

I had a friend in college, Norwegian, she had skied for her national Alpine team before heading to the states for school. She had also already won telemark worlds, but that's a whole other story. Sophomore year she was "bored" and went out for the soccer team, having played a little while growing up. She ended up starting every game and scored an average of twice per contest. Anyway... she had this strange (and perhaps enviable?) ability to pee without even pulling down her shorts. She'd just kneel, skooch her shorts to the side, and squirt.

NB I'm a dude and even I use more discretion than this. Usually.

canadiangrl

Sep 6, 2004, 7:29 AM
Post #17 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wear depends. end of story

angelaa

Sep 7, 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #18 of 18 (5860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haven't any of you tried the FemmeFresh!
It works GREAT - with just a little practice (remember to turn when the wind changes direction)

I found it in my local outdoor store . . . . couldn't live without it on the bigwalls or on the freezing cold mtn tops - where that much skin exposed could be painful! :lol:

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook