RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

crackhabit

May 27, 2002, 9:20 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut

camera opinions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi all,

i am going to buy a digital camera and wanted some opinions as to which ones that you ppl like and why. i was thinking of the Cannon powershot g2

biff

May 28, 2002, 2:31 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut

camera opinions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to spend that kind of money the G2 is an excellent camera.

It depends on your applications .. for taking snap shots and printing mostly 4x6 and 5x7 and the odd 8x10 a 2 megapixel camera would do just fine.

I am seriously considering the Canon A40 because it is small and light, has full manual control, and a 3x zoom. the G2 is around US$800, the A40 is around $300.

by no means is the A40 is substitute for a G2, but it is half the price, and has all the features I want. I think I can work with a 2MegaPixel Camera, and keep $500 saved for climbing gear/road trips.

If you are still keen on spending the big bucks, I suggest the Minolta Dimage 5 or 7 (nice 7xzoom lens), the Fuju FinePix 602 Zoom which has a 6x zoom lens. I think that the zoom lens would come in very handy for taking climbing shots, but larger zoom usually means larger camera.

I have used a Olympus c-700 with a 10x zoom, it is around US$500, is fairly small, but only has a 2Mp sensor. The zoom is great for getting pictures at soccer games, and horse shows, I haven’t taken it climbing.

All things considered .. I think I will buy a Canon A40 .. and then when I get the money .. get a digital SLR like the Canon D60 or Nikon D-100 for the situations where a the 2 MegaPixels just doesn't cut it.

for good info check out
http://www.dpreview.com
and
http://www.dcresource.com

hope that helps.

I might be able to answer you question a little more specifically if you tell my what you like about the Canon G2.

crackhabit

May 28, 2002, 4:43 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderful answer. certainly food for though. i like the G2 for a couple reasons (one is not that important though)

1. i like the fact that the memory media is interchangeable b/w models (this is the one that is not that important b/c that is a standard format). i also like the fact that i can plug a microdrive into it and use that b/w the D60 and the G2.the D60 is on my list at some point. and the batteries are the same as well.

2. i am looking for a camera that has very high resolution. i think that it is better to pictures that i have to compress rather than pictures that i have to blow up. i plan to be using 1600x1200 res for most if not all of my pics. that gives me more options.

some other reasons:
-the G2 has those extra lenses
-it is fully auto as well as fully manual
-the hotfoot for the flash is is a nice thing
-there are lots of upgrades that are possible that make this a camera that i can grow with until i can afford the D60. my overall scheme is to get the D60 and an SLR in the EOS line so that i can have the interchangable lenses (that will save me money). finally, i trust the cannon name and there are some good prices that i have found for the camera.

thanks for the great answer. i have more options to think about now.

biff

May 29, 2002, 1:13 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand why you would want the G2 .. the flash could be a big deal and the resolution is great as well. but since you are hoping to get a D60, wouldn't you rather save the $500 and get the D60 a couple months earlier? here is my reasoning for going for the Canon A40:

It is smaller, you might take it more places than you would a G2, and worry about it less since it costs less.

It has full manual control, as well as point and shoot. And It will complement the D60 since most of its advantages are the opposite of the advantages of the D60 (size, cost)

You bring up a good point about the battery, and lens attachments, but I ask you this:
will you use the lens attachments once you get a D60? is the extra $60 for a second battery a big deal when you spend $2200 for a body? and a big question will you use the fancy features of the G2 once you get a D60?

The g2 is microdrive compatible .. which is a big deal .. but would you want both cameras to have memory when you buy a D60, or will you only want to use one camera at a time?

If you want a Microdrive compatible camera with all the same sort of features as the G2 including lens attachments .. I suggest the Nikon 995.. it has a bigger zoom (4x) than the G2 and is $200 cheaper (the 995 retails around $600) but is is 3.14 MegaPixels rather than the G2 at 3.9megapixels.

mitchal

May 29, 2002, 1:42 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
Biff,I just bought the A40 last week and it is a(f*king)mazing!Not only does it have 3x zoom,but with the digital zoom,it increases it to 7.5 zoom overall.It has manual,auto,movie mode w/sound,program mode to manually set the exposure,and a feature that can let you "stitch"together shots into a panoramic pic.$299 plus tax,and I bought a 4 year service thingy.Came to $381 alltogether.I can review my shots on my Tv with cables that are included,as are the USB cables to download to my PC.All the software is included too.
I hope Canon is reading this and gives me a comercial deal,that's what I sound like,but,I love it!
Climb Happy
Mitch

crackhabit

May 29, 2002, 2:49 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my last argument is that i dont know when i will be able to afford the D60. perhaps i will get something better at the time. i want something that can hold me for years. i think that the G2 can do that. and, i found it for $569: http://www.amphotoworld.com/product_detail.asp?sku=cnpsg2 so that price is not that bad. i hope to have a descision today. i will read that review of the A40 to do due diligence.

[ This Message was edited by: crackhabit on 2002-05-29 09:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: crackhabit on 2002-05-29 09:00 ]

biff

May 29, 2002, 4:03 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At that price .. and considering you want it to last for years .. I think you should go for the G2.

mind you ... today Nikon anounced a few new cameras ..

crackhabit

May 29, 2002, 4:34 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for all you advice. it helped with a tough descision

biff

Jun 17, 2002, 6:41 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I jsut bought a Canon A40 .. I am happy.

the photo stitch thingy works great .. check out the last photo on my webpage (from june 15 coral crag see link below) to see what I think is a nice panorama.

check out my webpage for tonnes of sample photos. I have 2 Gigs of space so expect many pictures over the summer.

feel free to pm me with comments on them

http://enel.ucalgary.ca/~biffard

[ This Message was edited by: biff on 2002-06-17 11:42 ]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook